Thread: NHL Trade Deadline Effect on Team

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default NHL Trade Deadline Effect on Team

This is my first time through a fantasy hockey season. I've been excited for and dreading the NHL trade deadline.

Fun to look at guys to potentially stash away or guys on your roster who may be ticketed for greener pastures. Also, horrifying to think some of your closest rivals may have players in that same boat.

What's been your experience with the NHL trade deadline and how it has affected your team in past seasons?

Anything you've learned from it over the year(s)?
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: NHL Trade Deadline Effect on Team

Painting with a wide brush here... It seems to me that the guys who get traded at the deadline usually do worse than they had been doing with their previous team/situation.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Titan

Generally I don't find the deadline has had much effect at all on my seasons. It seems like it should, but it doesn't end up making much of a difference.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Genius

Maybe the taste of Wayne Simmonds and Mikael Granlund still lingers on my palate.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Maybe the taste of Wayne Simmonds and Mikael Granlund still lingers on my palate.
    Haha fair point! I didn't own either of them last year, so I can't exactly relate.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

My league in sig has some rules which makes having actual teammates important, most notably, a minimum 2 starting defensemen from the same team as your starting goalie. Therefore, a goalie trade at the deadline can cause havoc, and a defenseman moving can require a corresponding move. Forwards get bonuses from playing on the same fantasy line as NHL teammates, but that's more of a minor thing versus a requirement.

My other league is a deep cap dynasty, and the NHL trade deadline generates some value changes for players, and opens opportunities. It's not the baseball deadline though, where players can lose a value fairly quickly due to decreased playing time.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Appreciate the replies. I also wonder about a guy on your roster who might find better deployment due to a trade who isn't traded. IE: Buchnevich...Say Kreider gets dealt as many believe, someone has to take his spot on PP1. Figuring out who that might be could be a big win if you can land that player.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

I'm wary of grabbing any players hoping for them to get traded, because they are usually worse. But Hall has been better since going to the desert (this year), and I'm holding Toffoli right now because he has good possession and advanced stats numbers, and I can see him actually producing on any team that isn't LA. If he sucks, I drop him and move Mantha back in from IR.
    Yahoo One Year League, Weekly H2H Category
    Start: 3C/3LW/3RW/5D/2G
    Categories: G/A/P/PPP/+-/SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK; GS/W/SV%/SO

C: Zibanejad Suzuki Jenner Couturier
    LW: Kaprizov KConnor Pacioretty Huberdeau
    RW: Pastrnak Debrincat Rakell Lafreniere
    D: Josi Werenski Theodore Weegar Nurse Martinez Romanov
    G: Vasilevskiy Daccord Lyon
    IR+: Bedard