Thread: Trade Deadline thoughts on Toronto's Defence & the issues with a significant add

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Trade Deadline thoughts on Toronto's Defence & the issues with a significant add

As we near the trade deadline, im sure the fanbase is well versed in the Leaf's roster deficiencies and needs. An elite backup goalie, better Defensemen whose play actually resembles something close to the job description, etc.

Of course aquiring these, especially another top 4 D, would definitely help, but I wonder what kind of Defenceman we should be targeting here.

Especially when you factor in what their actual role/deployment will be, how it would effect other guys icetime/UFA status, salary cap impact, & of course if the asset cost will be worth it when all things are considered.

Now, like most of the league, Toronto's Power Play currently rolls out 4 forwards & 1 defenseman. Rielly is obviously the guy on PP1 with a 43% deployment, and Barrie is currently on PP2 with 40.8%.

The top 4 at even strength generally looks like this.

LD Rielly RD Ceci
    LD Muzzin RD Barrie

The franchise depth issues on the right side are well documented, not only because Ceci is rolling beside Rielly on the top pairing, but Ceci, Barrie & Holl are the right handed shots on the roster, with Holl the only guy expected to still be here in 2020. The minors only boast 2017 1st rounder Timothy Lilegren & former St Louis Blues pick Jordan Schmaltz as viable in house options this season and beyond.

Looking to next season Ceci, Muzzin, and Barrie are UFA. Barrie is probably gone, and hopefully Ceci, leaving Rielly, Holl & Marcinin as the current signed/returning group. Dermott is an RFA and Sandin will have likely earned a permanent job before the 2019 season is done. So there is going to be a lot of movement within the D corps.

LD Rielly RD ???
    LD ??? RD ???
    LD Dermott RD Holl
    LD Sandin

So what the Leafs are looking for is a right shot D to not only take over from Ceci overall, but likely the PP2 role from Barrie next yr.

Matt Dumba is the latest rumoured target for Dubas & Co, and at $6 mil a season there would have to be at least $4-5 mil going back the other way to make room this season. In 2020 he could be taking both Ceci's $4.5 mil salary and $1.5 mil of Barrie's $2.75 so the dollars could work. The remainder of Barrie's $$$ could also be significant in helping to retain Muzzin with a healthy raise to around $5.5 mil. Perfect right?

Well...no. This is where things get tricky. Even though Ceci & Barrie's money would conceivably go to Dumba or someone like him, it might also push Muzzin off the roster since Toronto not only needs to cover the Dermott/Holl raises but Barrie's replacement on the 2nd pairing. That's 3 roster spots to account for. If we project $3-$4 mil for Dermott, between $3-$4 mil for that 2nd pairing RD, and combine them with Holl's $1.325 mil raise it comes to a possible $7.325-$9.5 mil increase on the bottom 3 Dmen, or $8-$10.5 total.

The salary cap roster template trend for elite teams has been well established, and mainly focuses the $$$ on the forward group, a starting goalie, and with one elite Dman making north of $5-6 mil. With 3 star forwards making north of $10 million, Freddy & Rielly @ $5.0 mil it's one Toronto clearly is following. Obtaining a guy like Dumba would give Toronto a top pairing with Rielly's that makes $11 mil. Resigning Muzzin and paying whoever slots in beside him would potentially cost another $9-$10 mil for a top 4 D making $20 million.

Then there's the issue of roles & icetime. With Dermott evolving into a reliable top 4 option, and Sandin on the cusp of a full time roster spot & maybe becoming an impact player, would adding a player of Dumba's calibre & salary make retaining Muzzin at just shy of $6 mil even feasible? Especially since Muzzin, Rielly, Dermott & Sandin are all left handed shots?

I'm probably falling down a bit of a rabbit hole here, and haven't even begun to contemplate the asset cost of trading for a top 4 D.

So I'm going to tap out here and revisit this in a bit, but the impact goes well beyond loading up for the playoffs and I think fans/pundits really need to give more consideration to the fallout of such a move beyond this season.
    HFD 12 Team H2H
    G,A,P,+/-,PPP, PIM,HITS
    W,GAA,SV%,SO

Airdrie Analrapists

C O'Reilly, Zibanejad, Hischier
    LW Hall, Teravainen, Arvidsson.V
    RW Stone, Kessel, Laine
    UT RW Radulov, LW Gusev, RW W. Nylander
    D Burns, Dahlin, Dumba, Muzzin, Morrrisey, McNabb
    G Varlamov, Grubauer
    BN G Hutton, G Ullmark, W Bjorkstrand

Minors 25/25
    F Anderson-Dolan, Barré-Boulet, Batherson, Bemström, Dahlen, Fix-Wolansky, Gaudette, Greenway, Kahun, Kakko, Kaliyev, Kaprizov, Lindblom.O, Luff, Mattheos, N Robertson, Terry. T, Thomas. A
    D Hague, Jokiharju, Persson, Wilde, Woo
    G Berdin, Sarek, Sorokin

Big Daddy

Default Re: Trade Deadline thoughts on Toronto's Defence & the issues with a significant add

Quote Originally Posted by crazedcanuck View Post
    So I'm going to tap out here and revisit this in a bit, but the impact goes well beyond loading up for the playoffs and I think fans/pundits really need to give more consideration to the fallout of such a move beyond this season.
    Great post and well said, especially this line.

Leafs aren't going to win in the playoffs the way they are build and the way they play. Any Leafs fan who still believes they can pull it off in the playoffs is delusional. And not to over react to Andersen's injury last night (Kaskisuo recalled this morning), but I think it's time to throw in the towel and become sellers at the deadline. Get whatever assets you can get for Barrie, Spezza etc. and hope to finish in the bottom 10 and recoup the conditional 1st that was sent to Carolina in the Marleau trade. Then address the defensive holes in the offseason and hope to get a legit backup goaltending and a cheaper price than it would cost in-season. Or perhaps that Russian goalie that they are linked to.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Trade Deadline thoughts on Toronto's Defence & the issues with a significant add

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Great post and well said, especially this line.

Leafs aren't going to win in the playoffs the way they are build and the way they play. Any Leafs fan who still believes they can pull it off in the playoffs is delusional. And not to over react to Andersen's injury last night (Kaskisuo recalled this morning), but I think it's time to throw in the towel and become sellers at the deadline. Get whatever assets you can get for Barrie, Spezza etc. and hope to finish in the bottom 10 and recoup the conditional 1st that was sent to Carolina in the Marleau trade. Then address the defensive holes in the offseason and hope to get a legit backup goaltending and a cheaper price than it would cost in-season. Or perhaps that Russian goalie that they are linked to.
    Was that pick conditional on it being Lottery eligible? If so... wow... I forgot about that (or didn't realize at all). If that's the case, I think I'm siding that way to DD. The only crap sandwich with this is that they're wasting yet another year of the 34/16/91 years.

Frustrating just the same.

Big Daddy

The pick is top 10 protected. But yes, wasting a year is a very difficult pill to swallow.

Dobber Sports Star

unfortunately you have to grow your own dmen, it is very difficult to acquire them. there does not appear to be a quick fix in sight, if theyre lucky theyll be able to keep one of muzzin or barrie. term would be the issue. muzzin is 31 and barrie is 29 this year. anything in the 5-6 year range is risky.

I would probably look into trading william nylander to acquire a top 4 dman with marner, matthews and tavares combining for 30m+ already. nylander for matt dumba perhaps? theyll have to cheap out on wingers like pittsburgh does to fill out the rest of the roster.

They could get a better backup goalie fairly easily if theyre willing to give up a pick. i am assuming dubas has just been waiting for a better option via waivers this whole time.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    They could get a better backup goalie fairly easily if theyre willing to give up a pick. i am assuming dubas has just been waiting for a better option via waivers this whole time.
    Dubas has passed up multiple better options for a backup goalie already on waivers. That is their most glaring weakness, honestly - and it's not that hard to fix.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Dubas has passed up multiple better options for a backup goalie already on waivers. That is their most glaring weakness, honestly - and it's not that hard to fix.
    Yup. They should have claimed DeSmith and figured out the cap which they are more than capable of.