Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dropping Shea Webber

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Dropping Shea Webber

I'm in points-only league and Weber is currently colder than Matt Dumba who is on the wire.

The Habs have one of the worst playoff schedules and I'm thinking of cutting bait on Weber in favor of Dumba or even Slavin.

Would you drop Weber for either of Dumba or Slavin?
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Dropping Shea Webber

Simply no.
    I understand looking into a hotter player, and wanting to bump up to a better playoff schedule, but for a player like Weber, you simply don't drop him. Put him in a trade one way or another. If you can, make it a 2 for 1 and pick up Dumba.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Genius

Damn, just looked up his game to game production and thought I’d clicked on Edler by accident.

Really though, I think you need to hang on here. Cold streaks happen and Weber is the kind of player who is bound to find his groove soon. Besides, when it comes to the other two options neither impresses me. Dumba just hasn’t been the same since tearing his pec, might need another full summer of training to be relevant again and I find Slavin to just be meh for fantasy production.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

I'm so upset with Shea's lack of production I added another "b" to his last name.

The ups and downs I understand but 3 points in 17 games is not just a down. That's a major slump. A 14-point pace over 20+% of the season is HORRIFIC.

This happened with Shattenkirk and I dropped him for Pionk long ago and have been thrilled with that change.

Want to get more into this but Kapanen not on ice for Leafs leading to trade speculation for him. Gotta go check on it.

Not sure Weber is rebounding much like Shattenkirk still hasn't.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)

Dobber Sports Titan

Sounds like you've made a decision on it, but he will be claimed by someone, and then he will start producing again.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Sounds like you've made a decision on it, but he will be claimed by someone, and then he will start producing again.
    He very well could. That is same caution I got on Shattenkirk who was picked up, but not right away. Kinda surprised that owner hasn't dropped him by now. Shattenkirk may yet rebound but I'm thrilled with Pionk.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

Dobber Sports Superstar

Don't drop Webber - he will pick it up the momemt you do it.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Don't drop Webber - he will pick it up the momemt you do it.
    This is the great fun and madness of fantasy hockey. This is why people still have Matt Dumba on their roster and Gostisbehere, Gustafsson, etc. You have to know when to fold'em. That fear of what might happen after you drop someone keeps way too many guys who should be dropped on rosters. I also understand the other possibility exists, but if you feel comfortable the person you're going to pickup is going to perform close or better than the other guy when he was going good, then it's really not that hard to do. I'm not 100% sold on Slavin and certainly not Dumba after all of his troubles but Dumba is also a drop of mine. If I lived in fear of why he may have done he'd still be giving me diddly.

I don't think there's much more fun in fantasy than this issue save for goalies in general.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

Dobber Sports Padawan

On Dec 28 I dropped Dumba and picked up Weber. My 3rd of 6 "SWAPS". My other options were Pietrangelo and DeAngelo. Posed a question on the Forums as to who to pick up.
    I was leaning towards Weber who at the time had the highest PPG at .91. 3 respondents to my post all recommending Weber. OK then, Weber it is. What could go wrong eh.

Since then Dumba is 5/12. AP 13/14 and DeAngelo 12/13 (mind you 5 pts in 1 game).
    I'm 1 point out of 1st with Weber. Keep Dumba I'm 1st by 1. With AP 1st by 9 and TonyD 1st by 8. That's what could go wrong. Even Weber at .50 PPG (8) has me in 1st by 6. Sheesh. Yep great fun and very maddening.

Then Hamilton went down. Could have replaced him "free" with Slavin but back then the team's around me all had AP on their rosters and I feared he would outpace Slavin by a wide margin and I'd lose ground to other teams. So I dropped Hamilton/Slavin for AP "SWAP" #4 of 6. AP has done fine 3/3 since adding him. Slavin 1/1 but that's not an issue.

To make matters worse, I originally had Ghost as one of my 4D and used a "SWAP" on him to add Hamilton. 3 of my 4 "SWAPS" went to D-Men. I can't use any more "SWAPS" on D-Men as I have 4 "dog" forwards with only 2 "SWAPS" left. Come on Weber....pick it up for frick's sake. And BTW, Petry has 13p in his last 16 games so it's not like a Hab D-Man isn't scoring.

Sorry for the rant. Not intending to thread jack. This Fantasy Hockey can be SO FRUSTRATING at times.

EDIT...Sunday. WEBER HAS A POINT. HE'S ON A ROLL.

Quote Originally Posted by DzingelBarries View Post
    This is the great fun and madness of fantasy hockey. This is why people still have Matt Dumba on their roster and Gostisbehere, Gustafsson, etc. You have to know when to fold'em. That fear of what might happen after you drop someone keeps way too many guys who should be dropped on rosters. I also understand the other possibility exists, but if you feel comfortable the person you're going to pickup is going to perform close or better than the other guy when he was going good, then it's really not that hard to do. I'm not 100% sold on Slavin and certainly not Dumba after all of his troubles but Dumba is also a drop of mine. If I lived in fear of why he may have done he'd still be giving me diddly.

I don't think there's much more fun in fantasy than this issue save for goalies in general.
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    On Dec 28 I dropped Dumba and picked up Weber. My 3rd of 6 "SWAPS". My other options were Pietrangelo and DeAngelo. Posed a question on the Forums as to who to pick up.
    I was leaning towards Weber who at the time had the highest PPG at .91. 3 respondents to my post all recommending Weber. OK then, Weber it is. What could go wrong eh.

Since then Dumba is 5/12. AP 13/14 and DeAngelo 12/13 (mind you 5 pts in 1 game).
    I'm 1 point out of 1st with Weber. Keep Dumba I'm 1st by 1. With AP 1st by 9 and TonyD 1st by 8. That's what could go wrong. Even Weber at .50 PPG (8) has me in 1st by 6. Sheesh. Yep great fun and very maddening.

Then Hamilton went down. Could have replaced him "free" with Slavin but back then the team's around me all had AP on their rosters and I feared he would outpace Slavin by a wide margin and I'd lose ground to other teams. So I dropped Hamilton/Slavin for AP "SWAP" #4 of 6. AP has done fine 3/3 since adding him. Slavin 1/1 but that's not an issue.

To make matters worse, I originally had Ghost as one of my 4D and used a "SWAP" on him to add Hamilton. 3 of my 4 "SWAPS" went to D-Men. I can't use any more "SWAPS" on D-Men as I have 4 "dog" forwards with only 2 "SWAPS" left. Come on Weber....pick it up for frick's sake. And BTW, Petry has 13p in his last 16 games so it's not like a Hab D-Man isn't scoring.

Sorry for the rant. Not intending to thread jack. This Fantasy Hockey can be SO FRUSTRATING at times.
    I smiled hard when I got through this one. I was pretty sure this was going to be an "in your face" post about how Weber scored a goal, today, right after I presumably had dropped him.

Fortunately, for today, I still own Weber. Slavin netted an assist and Dumba was blanked last night.

As a longtime hockey fan going through fantasy hockey for the 1st time, it's been insane.

I've seen so much variety to the types of NHL fantasy leagues that I don't know how you can live without the freedom to make such limited moves/"SWAPS"? In my league you get 7/wk. I usually exhaust most if not all of them every week. Just checked. My move counter is at 106 for the season. I've neglected to use 13 of a possible 119 moves so far with one of them being today.

Loved your story. Making a move and to whom is the best kind of thing to ponder. Glad you're still in 1st.

Gotta go...my move counter reset to 7 at 1130am, and I gotta go make some.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

I solved my Weber problem by trading him. My first ever fantasy hockey trade. Really wanted to drop him and Killorn. So, before trying to do that I thought I'll offer them in trade for Victor Hedman.

Now, I own the Dman who quarterbacks the coldest PP in the league. Just 3-of-35 over the last 12 games.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

Dobber Sports Padawan

Congrats on your 1st trade. You got Hedman for Weber and Killorn? I think that's a great return for you. How are you doing in your league...looks like you have a pretty strong team there? Oh, and thanks for getting rid of Weber. Usually when I drop a player they turn it around and start lighting it up. Maybe YOU dropping Weber will work for me and he will get going lol. Of course I hope, for you, that Hedman does better than Weber...but hope Weber does OK ROS.
    Yea, Weber's point last night got me into a tie for 1st in my Pool.

Quote Originally Posted by DzingelBarries View Post
    I solved my Weber problem by trading him. My first ever fantasy hockey trade. Really wanted to drop him and Killorn. So, before trying to do that I thought I'll offer them in trade for Victor Hedman.

Now, I own the Dman who quarterbacks the coldest PP in the league. Just 3-of-35 over the last 12 games.
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Glad to hear Weber's goal put you into 1st. That was a double-dipper for me with Kovalchuk getting an apple.

Thanks for the kind words on the trade. Fun seeing it accepted. I got extra satisfaction knowing I pulled this off while a guy who has offered me 40 some trades so far isn't the guy I traded with. That dude sent me 6 trade proposals at once last week when we were playing each other. Not a single one of them was remotely attractive. Also, the deal was made with a guy who is currently 7-10 and has a remote shot at the 4-seed. I didn't want Weber dropped and picked up by the 2nd or 3rd pacing team. That guy has Stamkos, Point and Vasilevskiy...now he has Killorn.

I'm 14-3 and currently hold top seed for playoffs. Also, high point guy in the league with 2031. The guy behind me is 13-3-1 and sits 2nd in points with 1818, so I'm over 200 points ahead of him there. We're playing this week. I gotta have this one or my 9-week winning streak ends and I'm likely slotting into the 2nd seed for playoffs which looks to be really important. The guy who looks like a lock for 3rd is quite formidable. The ones fighting for 4th and final spot appear to be a much easier road to the finals.

Probably not a good idea to lock two players with Barkov out for me but I wanted to make a deal and wanted another roster spot which this accomplishes.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

Dobber Sports Padawan

Dzingel
    Glad to hear you are doing so well in your league. Good luck ROS. The guy who offered you 40 trades was likely trying to take advantage of a newb...so much for that.

I've dropped down to 3rd now. 3 of us were bunched at the top but my team has gone stone cold and the other 2 are red hot. Standings in our pool can change
    very quickly.

Well...Weber on IR, that injury probably the reason for his terrible performance of late. This is actually good news for me...in our pool if we have an injured player we can replace him...with another player from his team of the same position...without having to use a "SWAP"!! Here's hoping Petry can keep it going, he's 15 pts in his last 19 games.

Your 1st year in Fantasy Hockey. I've been in this Pool for 32 years. It was going long before I joined. Same guy runs it. He's 80 now as is one other guy. I'm 72.
    We've lost a few guys due to death but we have some sons of original members and even a grandson participating now. When I started no internet of course. 2 of us would get together once a week and update the standings from stats in the newspaper. The standings were posted in a central location and we had to go there to see how we were doing lol. We have 15 teams and everything is done online now of course. It's been great fun. Keeps us old farts interested in hockey.

Good luck the rest of the way. Have fun.

32 years!? Wow. That is awesome! I wish I'd started playing back then. However, I'd probably look 50 years older by now, if not gone completely.

The bit about the newspapers makes me smile. I started playing fantasy football back in the 80's and that's exactly how we did it. Newspapers.

I hope Shea gets back soon for you and lights it up. Hedman gave me 3 apples his first night with me. I'm in a tight one with my toughest and closest rival and those points might be the difference in winning and losing.

Thanks for the well wishes. May you defend your 32 year title!
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3