Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Owning 3 from One Team

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Owning 3 from One Team

How do you feel about owning 3 players from one team?

I'm in a revenge match with a guy I should've beaten earlier this season and it's haunted me and inspired me to be a better fantasy player. I loaded up with Garland and Dvorak because he has Hall for this week.

He has two open roster spaces right now and I'm trying to close off the best avenues for him to hurt me. He owns Crosby and Hornqvist is on the wire and I'm all but certain Horny is one of his targets tonight. I'm ahead of him in waiver priority and want to rock his boat by adding him so I have Rust, McCann and Horny to his Crosby. He'll probably go Simon to counter. Is it worth it for me to be doing things such as this?

Also, I own Kubalik and DeBrincat. Strome is on the wire dropped by me when he got hurt. Would you roll 3 Hawks or let Strome go to someone else when another owner realizes he's back?
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Default Re: Owning 3 from One Team

My honest opinion is that you overthink way too much... You should focus to get the best players you can have in your lineup and have the maximum of games played, whatever the teams are. From the players you listed, you won't neutralize him, your lining up players worst then his because they are on the same team, so he'll beat you.

You also look at which teams the players you get will meet, which goalie they should play against, etc. You can load up on the same team, but it should not be influenced by your opponent lineup.

I hear you and thanks for the reply but that's exactly how he beat me earlier this season. He grabbed Connolly before puck drop on a Sunday. I had Barkov and thought long and hard about grabbing him to make sure he couldn't grab him and use him against me. I didn't and he grabbed him and I lost. Connolly scored a PP goal in that one and that 4 points was the difference. I've reeled off 11 straight wins since, and I've been consumed with hammering him this time around. He's up 3 points while I have an 8 player/games advantage, right now, for the rest of the week.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If you remove the fact that Connolly plays on the same team as Barkov, all he did was grabbed a guy who was giving him another GP, which is exactly what you should do. If you grab guys off the wire to prevent your opponents from grabbing them, also a good strategy if you have the space.

I'm with Stencil, I really don't see what them being on the same team has to do with any sort of strategy, other than obviously there will be times when there's guys on the wire from the same team?

I'm starting to feel dizzy.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think that during these weeks with strange schedules, it can help to load up on guys from the same team, because you have some teams with 1 game, or no games.

It also helps to load up on say Penguins, Bruins, Lightning, etc, if you are loading up on a team that scores a lot. Other than that, it doesn't matter, unless there is a league rule which makes it beneficial to have players from the same team - and those leagues are rare, but the league in my sig is actually one of them.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    If you remove the fact that Connolly plays on the same team as Barkov, all he did was grabbed a guy who was giving him another GP, which is exactly what you should do. If you grab guys off the wire to prevent your opponents from grabbing them, also a good strategy if you have the space.

I'm with Stencil, I really don't see what them being on the same team has to do with any sort of strategy, other than obviously there will be times when there's guys on the wire from the same team?

I'm starting to feel dizzy.
    His two biggest guns are Taylor Hall and Sidney Crosby among his forwards. He has some killer D men but I can't add anyone to piggyback on his points. Guys like Makar are going to score but I can't add any of the guys Makar would usually connect with like MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, etc. What I can do is siphon off points when Crosby and Hall score as they're likely to have involvement with guys I've picked up.

My post probably should've been in two pieces. One for trying to win this particular week and general strategy. Owning 3 guys from the same team is great when that team is clicking but death when they're not. I love when a goal scored has points coming from 2 players as opposed to one. The question on Strome was about whether I should be carrying 3 Blackhawks forwards. Just wanted a general thought on how others approach this. If you owned Kubalik and The Cat would you be looking to add Strome or would you be looking elsewhere to diversify? I'm tempted to add Strome back but I really don't want 3 Hawks.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So let's say you have one roster spot available, and two wire players to choose from: Player A has 4 points/game, and player B has 3 points/game, but player B is a line-mate of one of your opponents top players. You wouldn't grab player B just because of the chance to get in on the scoring plays of his top players, would you? Even though it's likelier player A scores more points? That's where I'm getting tripped up.

But otherwise, yeah I usually try and stay away from owning too many players from the same team in H2H, just because consistency is really key to racking up the wins, although if you can get two first line/top PP linemates, that's always fun. That said, at this point in the season it also comes down to GP. I would have no problem loading up on guys from the same team if it gives me a GP advantage. But I'd probably look to trade them once that advantage has dried up.

The one caveat to that is that I would have no problem owning say Kucherov/Hedman/Stamkos :P
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    So let's say you have one roster spot available, and two wire players to choose from: Player A has 4 points/game, and player B has 3 points/game, but player B is a line-mate of one of your opponents top players. You wouldn't grab player B just because of the chance to get in on the scoring plays of his top players, would you? Even though it's likelier player A scores more points? That's where I'm getting tripped up.

But otherwise, yeah I usually try and stay away from owning too many players from the same team in H2H, just because consistency is really key to racking up the wins, although if you can get two first line/top PP linemates, that's always fun. That said, at this point in the season it also comes down to GP. I would have no problem loading up on guys from the same team if it gives me a GP advantage. But I'd probably look to trade them once that advantage has dried up.

The one caveat to that is that I would have no problem owning say Kucherov/Hedman/Stamkos :P
    That makes great sense. On the wire in my league is a bunch of guys who all look about the same to me. If there was a guy who really stood out to me as I guy I should own, I would already own him. Hornqvist is a guy I previously owned and dropped for McCann as I wrestled between owning one of the two and didn't want too many Pens players for diversification. Now, Horny is back on the wire and I can get him just for this week. My opponent is a bright player. He works the games played issue beautifully. In fact, he didn't grab Horny last night, he oddly grabbed two goalies. He had been carrying none like me as he'd emulated my zero-goalie strategy a couple of weeks back. I think he's trying to get some games played from the goalies, drop them, and then get Horny for the Sunday night game. I'll try to find a way to prevent that. Sunday is a big advantage day for me as far as games played and I like having more guys going on Sunday than my opponent.

Again, I wouldn't grab Simon off the wire over Kubalik because Simon plays with one of his big guns. I'm hoping to add Dylan Strome back and a couple of Canes for the Fri/Sun games this week along with Horny. Not sure I can pull it all off but always fun trying to work it.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

Dobber Sports Immortal

I don't mind owning 3 from a team if they are an elite scoring team. I would not do it otherwise, unless you are in need of man games/counting stats (SOG or Hits) and in a weekly H2H matchup.

I have found that the more I over think it the worse I do.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

In H2H it would be great if they have a 4 game week, if GP is a category. Personally I'd only do it if they're on the same #1 line/top PP.
    I have three Jets, but I'm in a simple points only, year long pool.
    13 team Yahoo One Year/Points Only
    No Drops left. No Bench. No IR
    1 pt: g/a/ +1 gwg
    2 pts: w, +3 pts: shutout
    F: Pastrnak, Giroux, Trocheck, Meier, Marchand, Scheifele, Kadri, DeBrincat,
    D: Krug, J.Schultz, DeAngelo, Brodie
    G: Vasilevsky, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Superstar

team 2 in Sig; own 4 Canucks; currently 14-1 1st overall. It does not matter so long as the ones you own are vital contributors offensively.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Wizard

it depends who you own lol...

my championship team has Krug, Pasta, Debruks and Josi Ekholm Granlund...i have 5 other teams where i own 2 players..nothing wrong with that..just own good players.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Administrator

There's no issue whatsoever with owning three from the same team. Sometimes there could be scheduling inconveniences based on having too many players active on the same day but aside from my final (streaming) roster spot I would never drop a player for a lesser one just to get out of a made-up problem.

Definitely agree with the overthinking comments.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

If someone offered you Kucherov, Point and Stamkos would you say no because they're all on the same team?
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    If someone offered you Kucherov, Point and Stamkos would you say no because they're all on the same team?
    i would say no because they would ask for my entire team
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones