Thread: Long post - Need advice on direction of team (REP)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Long post - Need advice on direction of team (REP)

Sorry for the long post, but I think my team is at a critical junction and I am looking for seasoned help to steer me down the right path and would really appreciate the help/advice.

For league not in sig. 10 team dynasty, H2H, 26 player roster, 25 player minors, start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 1F, 6D, 2G. Cats G, A, Pts, +/-, SOG, PPP, Hits, Blks, FOW, W, GAA, SV, SV%

I took over this team a few weeks into the season as original GM wasn't setting lineups. I am very happy with the team I took over as there is a ton of talent. I have also added more talent to my roster with a few trades:

1. I received Tyler Bertuzzi, Thomas Harley and 2020 3rd for Jason Robertson and Jesper Bratt
    2. I received Sebastian Aho and Kyle Connor for Kaapo Kakko, Filip Zadina, Jake Oettinger and Miro Heiskanen
    3. I received Teuvo Teravainen for Max Comtois and Cayden Primeau
    4. I received Brent Burns, 2020 4th and 2021 3rd for Noah Hanafin and my 2021 1st

I am sitting in 7th and the top 4 teams make playoffs. I am currently 2.5 games back of 4th place and believe I have a great shot at making it to the playoffs and I also think I can cause some damage if I make it. My current roster is:

C - McDavid, Barzal, Hischier, Aho (C/LW) and PLD
    Wings - Draisaitl (LW/C), Bertuzzi (LW/RW), Domi (LW/C), Connor (LW/RW), Meier (LW/RW), JT Miller (LW/RW), Pasta (RW), Teravainen (LW/RW), DeBrusk (LW/RW) and Beauvillier (LW/C)
    D - Werenski, Seth Jones, Nurse, Burns, Chabot and Ekblad
    Goalies - Matt Murray, Jarry, Grubauer, Binnington and Lehner
    IR - Morgan Rielly and Nolan Patrick

I also own 3 2020 1st round draft picks. One of them should be 1st or 2nd best lottery odds (depends on were the teams finish), another should be 3rd or 4th best lottery odds and the last one is my own (the bottom 6 teams are placed in the lottery only.....I don't plan on my pick being there).

Now for the help. I am debating just rolling into the 2020 draft with 3 1sts, however, I am getting a lot of interest in those picks. Some of the moves I am contemplating are:

1. My 2020 1st and the 2020 1st (3rd to 4th best odds) for Patty Kane
    2. My Barzal for Danault + a pick (or something along those lines)
    3. I inquired about Barkov but the GM said he won't trade him
    4. I inquired about MacK but the asking price is silly high (Aho + Connor + PLD + 2020 1st (1st or 2nd best odds))

Which moves are beneficial and which ones should I steer away from? Who or what position should I look at upgrading? I feel my Hits, Blocks and FOW are my weakest cats but any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Once again, sorry for the essay but I am having an internal battle on what provides the best value and where I should focus my attention.
    12 team dynasty, weekly H2H, daily starts
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1UTL, 2G, 7 Bench - 23 player roster, unlimited farm system
    Cats - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHP, Hits, SOG, BS, W, GAA, S%, S and SO

C - Crosby, MacKinnion, Bergeron, Kopitar and Pageau
    LW - Marchand, Pacioretty, Nugent-Hopkins (C) and Vrana
    RW - Stone, Voracek, Duclair (LW), T. Wilson and Tanev (LW)
    D - Hedman, Doughty, Trouba, Weber and Giordano
    G - Holtby, Binnington, Quick and M. Koskinen
    Farm
    Highlights - Cernak, V. Soderstrom, T. Harley, V. Heinola, R. Andersson, C. Garland, C. Grundstrom, P. Kochetkov
    Picks - 2020 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Long post - Need advice on direction of team (REP)

That's not high at all for Mackinnon. If he's offering, take the deal.

Use the other two picks to get Patrick Kane. Picks are a gamble anyways. Take the talent.

You'd get Mackinnon and Kane for 3 1sts Aho, Connor and PLD. You are light years ahead. Stream a plug from the waiver.

Look.. you have McD, Drais, Pasta, Mack, Kane.. who gives a rats ass about a draft.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Run! View Post
    Look.. you have McD, Drais, Pasta, Mack, Kane.. who gives a rats ass about a draft.
    He's right. You could have the top 5 fowards in the NHL. Go for it man. Your not just gonna finish 4th place, your gonna win it all.

"If your not first your last" - Ricky Bobby

And your goaltending is next level.
    20 team H2H Keep up to 4 . G/A/PPP/SOG/HITS/BS/Corsi SV%/GAA/W/SO
    6F 4D 2G 4Reserve.

F - Draisaitl, B. Tkatchuk,

G - Igor Shesterkin

I...am your father.

He's not saying Aho, Connor, PLD and three 1sts. He's saying Aho, Connor, PLD and a good shot at Lafrenniere. I think such a move eats at your depth, when you could give the later firsts for Kane and get, what, the 6th best player instead of the Top 5 you'd have 5 of the Top 6 and still keep Connor, Aho, PLD and a great shot at Lafrenniere?
    I'd go there, and leave MacK
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I personally would not trade the first that could be Lafrennaire.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Thanks for the responses so far. I am in the process of trying to acquire Kane right now, we will see how that goes. Also, I am actively going after Danault as I like his offensive side, and also brings some hits and lots of FOW.

As for MacK, I would love to have him, but the GM, rightly so, IMO, is asking for a lot of my solid depth pieces which I will need as there isn't much available on the wire to replace them. Having a good shot at Lafreniere, I feel, sets me up pretty nicely for the future.....and who knows, maybe the price will drop slightly for MacK.

Any more thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated!

Farm
    Highlights - Cernak, V. Soderstrom, T. Harley, V. Heinola, R. Andersson, C. Garland, C. Grundstrom, P. Kochetkov

I gotta say it was said well above, if you can move three firsts aho and conner and the net gain is mack and kane, you do that everyday, AL is going to be good, but nothing is a certainty, including if that pick will be number one, and I doubt AL will hit Mack level so he takes all the risk there, Aho and Connor are great pieces, Mack and Kane win championships. People get to caught up in youth in fantasy hockey, for the most part Youth wont win you anything lol.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm44 View Post
    AL is going to be good, but nothing is a certainty, including if that pick will be number one, and I doubt AL will hit Mack level
    In terms of pre-draft hype - AL > MacK vs when MacK was in his draft year. I see AL upside higher than I saw MacK's. Of course, MacKinnon has reached that upside and in fact exceeded it slightly. But thought it worth noting - the hype over AL is above what it was with MacKinnon. I don't think the risk is huge there.
    If you can get that deal done with one of your other firsts, you do it. And if you can get Kane with the other 1st plus a 2nd, you do it. I think there's a way to work these talks
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Grand Master

1. My 2020 1st and the 2020 1st (3rd to 4th best odds) for Patty Kane
    This is pretty good. Kane is likely better than whomever you get with your own pick, and maybe the other pick, depending on where it lands.

2. My Barzal for Danault + a pick (or something along those lines)
    I like this. Danault is a sneaky nice player, and depending on the pick you get, you might be able to use it nicely. If it's a higher second, it might work instead of your own first in the deal for Kane, or you can keep it and use it.

#3 isn't an option, and I'm not a fan of #4.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Thanks all for reading the long post and sharing your advice and wisdom.

I ended up trading 2 firsts, both mid 3-6 range, in 2020 and 2021 for Patrick Kane. I am happy improving my scoring stats with another stud.

I also ended up trading PLD for Danault and a 2021 2nd. I love Danault's ability to stuff the peripheral cats especially FOW.

Overall, I think my team has improved and look forward (hopefully) to a playoff run.

Farm