Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bad dynasty deal? Landeskog overvalue

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Bad dynasty deal? Landeskog overvalue

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    While you're not wrong to be concerned, there's a few numbers skewing your assessment. The biggest is how bad Colorado was during a lot of Landeskog's early/down years. You're absolutely right to suggest that he's dependant on his linemates, but the years you're referencing were also the years where most people (this forum included) were souring on Mackinnon.

Long story short, I think Kessel is done, Backstrom isn't, and Landeskog has 80+ potential with solid peripherals. He's not going to do it this year obviously, but he's 27, has shown he can, and has the supporting cast to do so.
    I can get on board with almost all of that. Kessel probably is done. At least he’ll be more of a bit player now. Backstrom definitely isn’t and is an elite setup guy and FW guy. He lacks in the goal scoring to an extent but still can hit 20 or so.

And yea, those were bad years for the club. But because he’s so dependent on linemates, that makes him very volatile. Anything from injury to change of line could derail his offensive output drastically. That’s great when they get to play with an elite center but can go from 100 to 0 in an instant. Kessel might even be a good example, going from Pit to Yotes. While I think Backstrom would produce well anywhere. NOT that he’s moving, he also has the benefit of one of the best teams in the league, not just line.

Now while I agree that at 27 Landeskog isn’t done I definitely don’t think he has 80 point potential. I’d be shocked if he ever performs better offensively than last year in which he only had 75 points, which I think is his actual ceiling. He’d only surpassed 60 points twice before that. The year prior, his absolute 2nd best season, he only scored 62. I would actually put some cash on him never surpassing 70 points again in his career. If he ever reached 80 I’d be shocked. And that’s with him playing with MacKinnon. In that sense, I’d say Landeskog is a good goal scorer, decent playmaker but not elite at either, which leads to his dependence on linemates.

I guess that’s just not a player I’d want to heavily invest in expecting relative returns year to year. He’s a player I would have been rushing to sell at the opening of fantasy leagues this summer. He’s a few months late, but I suspect that’s exactly what the Commish is doing here. That being selling Landeskog as high as possible before he continues to regress a bit. But just my opinion of course.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    I can get on board with almost all of that. Kessel probably is done. At least he’ll be more of a bit player now. Backstrom definitely isn’t and is an elite setup guy and FW guy. He lacks in the goal scoring to an extent but still can hit 20 or so.

And yea, those were bad years for the club. But because he’s so dependent on linemates, that makes him very volatile. Anything from injury to change of line could derail his offensive output drastically. That’s great when they get to play with an elite center but can go from 100 to 0 in an instant. Kessel might even be a good example, going from Pit to Yotes. While I think Backstrom would produce well anywhere. NOT that he’s moving, he also has the benefit of one of the best teams in the league, not just line.

Now while I agree that at 27 Landeskog isn’t done I definitely don’t think he has 80 point potential. I’d be shocked if he ever performs better offensively than last year in which he only had 75 points, which I think is his actual ceiling. He’d only surpassed 60 points twice before that. The year prior, his absolute 2nd best season, he only scored 62. I would actually put some cash on him never surpassing 70 points again in his career. If he ever reached 80 I’d be shocked. And that’s with him playing with MacKinnon. In that sense, I’d say Landeskog is a good goal scorer, decent playmaker but not elite at either, which leads to his dependence on linemates.

I guess that’s just not a player I’d want to heavily invest in expecting relative returns year to year. He’s a player I would have been rushing to sell at the opening of fantasy leagues this summer. He’s a few months late, but I suspect that’s exactly what the Commish is doing here. That being selling Landeskog as high as possible before he continues to regress a bit. But just my opinion of course.
    But how do you really feel?
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    But how do you really feel?
    he wants you to tell him that he is right and you and rest of us are wrong....
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Padawan

You’re basically saying disregard Landeskog’s last two seasons because they are outliers. But maybe he has developed into a better player in recent years, on a better team with a better supporting cast, than what he had early in his career?

When I judge a player I focus more on his production in the last couple of years instead of what he might have done in 2014.

Dobber Sports Ace

I prefer Landeskog the most here.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Completely reasonable trade for both sides. Not sure why it's even a question.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Rookie

I do not like Landeskog and hate owning him. I still would take his side of this trade though. You a clearly bitter from this trade.