Thread: 2021 All Star Idea - International Flavour

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default 2021 All Star Idea - International Flavour

https://www.fantrax.com/news/nhl/new...8oauh8k5vfovq0

Supposedly there is discussion that the next NHL All-Star game could have some international competition involved.

That would be interesting to see if it would make players want to be a part of it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Administrator

Default Re: 2021 All Star Idea - International Flavour

I'd like to see the skills competition open to the whole NHL, not just those at the ASG. Let's see Chara vs Weber again. Plus there's probably a bunch of bottom-six guys with enough speed to compete at the event. They just don't get to use it as much in real life.

I also like the change for the ASG. Anything is better than what they have in place currently. I didn't even watch this weekend and all indications are I didn't miss much.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Immortal

That is a great idea. I just wonder if they would have enough time to pull off a 3 on 3 tourney. Sounds great tho.

Dobber Sports Titan

Every team does their own Skills Comp. Bring in the guys that win their team's comp.

Maybe like the top 5 across the league, or like the top 2 and add them to the competition. Make it more like the NBA where you don't need to be an All Star to compete.

Keep the females involved somehow. The 3-on-3 was great to see during the skills comp and not the 3-on-3 tourny on Saturday. Really made the Skills comp more engaging.

Breakable targets

Mascots do hardest shot and fastest skaters

Fantasy Draft again with 4 teams
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'd like to see the skills competition open to the whole NHL, not just those at the ASG. Let's see Chara vs Weber again. Plus there's probably a bunch of bottom-six guys with enough speed to compete at the event. They just don't get to use it as much in real life.

I also like the change for the ASG. Anything is better than what they have in place currently. I didn't even watch this weekend and all indications are I didn't miss much.
    And yes to this. This is how you create even more stars. Get Martin Frk and his 109 mph canon out there.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Every team does their own Skills Comp. Bring in the guys that win their team's comp.

Maybe like the top 5 across the league, or like the top 2 and add them to the competition. Make it more like the NBA where you don't need to be an All Star to compete.
    This is exactly how they used to do it back in early to mid 90s.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Let players make their own 3 on 3 teams or something and don't tell us until the night of

Dobber Sports Superstar

Having teams based off of nationalities is going to be a logistical nightmare, it will be even harder if you try and do 4 teams for 3-on-3, even worse if every team still needs 1 representative.

The nationalities of all players selected and replacements was:

Canada 23
    USA 14
    Sweden 5
    Finland 2
    Russia 3
    Czech Republic 3
    Germany 1
    Slovenia 1
    Switzerland 1
    Denmark 1

You could do: Canada, USA, World to get 3 teams. Then an under-2x team for Number 4.
    The Olympics and World Championships are awesome because all players share a nationality and because the games matter to the players, the ASG will never actually matter and so replicating the intensity is not possible.

The captains and pick-em game should be awesome but the captains never want to take it too seriously or upset their teammates so we do not get to see their true thoughts.

If it were up to me the NHL would pick four high-end respected, unaffiliated, scouts (maybe two old school guys and two stat nerds) and let them pick their roster, ideally via auction. Give the GMs a month's notice and have them commit real time and effort into it, capture the whole thing on cameras and release a documentary after the fact showing the thought processes.

Imagine Dobber and three other long-time fantasy writers getting a crack at an ASG fantasy draft. With a healthy prize to the players like they have now, and the winning GM and a chance to be crowned ASG GM Champ. Anyways, that's my pipe dream.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Imagine Dobber and three other long-time fantasy writers getting a crack at an ASG fantasy draft. With a healthy prize to the players like they have now, and the winning GM and a chance to be crowned ASG GM Champ. Anyways, that's my pipe dream.
    Thankfully I stopped writing years ago.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust