Thread: Huge trade! Really need some guidance!

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Huge trade! Really need some guidance!

League details in signature. I am currently leading my league in points for this year which has been brought on the backs of my superstars and I really want to win. But the owner in last place has offered up his 1st round pick which will be first overall and the chance at Lafrenniere/Byfield. He wants big name forwards and a goalie, so I have offered:

Taylor Hall, Dylan Larkin, Jake Virtanen, Tyler Bertuzzi and Sergei Bobrovsky
    For
    His 1st overall pick, Jack Hughes, Alex Newhook and Nicolas Hague, 2 waiver pick ups (we only get 5 a year)

Firstly, my thinking on this is I obviously set up very nicely for the future and championships are won with superstars which I will potentially be getting 2 in the 1st and Hughes.
    Secondly, I am right up against the cap and Hall is going for a large number in the off season and I will not be able to fit him in....so getting value for that. Larkin is an amazing young piece that I hate to give up but the owner really wants him, multi cat guys are very valuable. They are both not helping me win right now because they are having less than stellar seasons for their standards. But I know they are superstar talents.
    Finally, the other pieces I am giving up are young players who are cheap, and cheap players are very valuable in a cap league. Bobrovsky is not helping me much now but I am selling him low but can replace with Samsonov. Goalies bring high value in my league as well.

I guess what I want to know; am I crazy for giving this much up? Am I blinded by the allure of the 1st overall?
    9 Team, Pts only, 50 man, $110 mill salary, keep all - G, A, +/-, PIM, HITS, BLK, PPP, GHHT. GA, WINS, LOSS, SV, SO

F - E. Malkin, T. Hall, J. Tavares, C. McDavid, J. Eichel, N. MacKinnon, E. Kane, B. Schenn, L. Draisaitl, D. Larkin, T. Bertuzzi, N. Kadri, JG. Pageau, J. Virtanen, N. Hischier, B. Rust, Z. Hyman, W. Nylander, N. Patrick

D - A. Pietrangelo, T. Barrie, T. Krug, T. DeAngelo, Mo. Riley, K. Shattenkirk, S. Theodore, B. Burns, J. Muzzin

G - F. Andersen, A. Vasilevskiy, MA. Fleury, S. Bobrovsky

Farm - C. Caufield, D. Cozens, N. Gusev, A. Kaliyev, J. Kyrou, C. Mittlestadt, O. Wahlstrom, E. Brannstrom, F. Horonek, R. Sandin, I. Samsonov, J. Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Huge trade! Really need some guidance!

because your roster is so large I can't see you finding substitutions to replace Larkin/Hall production sufficiently. It's all on you if you think dealing them does not cripple you enough to damage your chances. This falls into that mental territory of thinking about the future too much but IMO owners should be focused on win now mode while the window is open. I mean you already have a bunch of young stars in Leon, MacK, Eichel, McDavid, Nylander, Larkin, how many more do you really need. Honestly you doing this deal to get yet another young one in Hughes and then LaFraniere is giving you too much overall for anyone to come close to competing. Just looking at your overall roster you are playing against some serious noobs or a bunch of Helen Keller clones.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Superstar

How many players do you actually start? From the looks of it, you can definitely afford to move all the guys you've mentioned and still have enough horsepower to win this thing if it's a standard 12 -6 -2 type of set up. Your team is strong.

Are you absolutely guaranteed the first over all? No lottery? You need to be 100% sure on this.

Is there another option other than Newhook? Preferably a multi cat type of player to help compensate for the grit you are moving out. NOt a big deal, but it never hurts to explore other options.

Bottom line, given the information you have provided, I think this is a solid move for you. If you can win your league and strengthen your team for the future at the same time you are in very nice shape. Hughes and Lafrenniere along with a number of guys you already have on the farm would ensure a bright future indeed.

Hope this helps.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Novice

Luigi yes you bring up some great points, at what point do I focus on the win now? I do have a fairly large lead but I don’t want to take my eyes off the prize. Winning is everything and I can’t sacrifice that for the chance to be better down the road.
    That being said, Hall and Larkin are playing below their standards now and I might be able to pick up a couple guys via waivers or move guys from my farm to adequately replace for the rest of the season.
    I have been blessed with lucky drafting and good trading skills to obtain the team I have and this is the first time in a 12 year league that I have a real shot at winning.

Bubba yes it is a standard 12-6-2 nightly start so I do have some depth. There is no lottery and he is very far behind, so #1 is almost completely assured.
    My team is very young so if I can move out some old and obtain amazing young talents to keep my team going, then I have a chance of staying on top for years to come.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Go_Leafs_Go

O Boy.
    Larkin is only 23 Y.O. 14P in last 13 GP and -1. I'd have a hard time moving him...he seems to be back on track.
    Hall, well the impending new contract and injury prone so sure. He is, though, 15/16 since joining he Yotes so should be worth something
    in a separate trade??
    Ya, your team looks poised to be in the hunt/win for years to come just as it is.
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Just read Luigi's response, I'm still laughing!! He does make some good points, but the most relevant is assuring the win this season. That said, it sure as hell looks like you have the depth to make up for moving Hall and Larkin and still finish first. This is your call though, you know the league, you should be looking at all scoring cats, where you actually stand in each of them and then make the decision to move these guys or not. As far as "how many more do you need", I think Luigi was having a little fun, he's right, your stacked big time stupid, but if you can improve on that, that's what you do. Sit back and collect the coin the Noobs and Helen Keller clones are throwing at you (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I cant believe your saying "Lafrenniere/Byfield" for your first overall pick.

"The first overall pick goes to Quinton Bayfield" - Said no one ever. Especially with Lafrenniere in same draft.

Sorry for raggin' on ya. I'm just jealous of your situation and your roster.
    Cheers.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

And chance that you may be giving him enough to get drop that pick to #2 or #3 overall? Because if that happens, this deal looks worse.

Who is on waivers that you can grab? That matters.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

There is no next year... don't do the deal. Go for the win, not the draft.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    And chance that you may be giving him enough to get drop that pick to #2 or #3 overall? Because if that happens, this deal looks worse.

Who is on waivers that you can grab? That matters.
    This is something I was thinking as well. You are clearly improving his team by offering scoring upgrades and a goalie boost as well.

I can appreciate your concern for Hall's next deal, but this seems like a massive overpayment for what you are getting in return.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd find a way to get it done for the first pick (potentially) of Lefrennaire.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Your team is ridiculous. I'm surprised the rest of your league doesn't just quit!!

I mean, if you can move Hall and Larkin and still win the season (which looks likely) and get Lafreniere, then... might as well dominate forever?