Thread: Auction Draft Setup Questions

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Auction Draft Setup Questions

Here's our league setup:

11-teams keeper league, 25 Man Roster, points only. G:2-W, 3-SO.
    Daily Roster 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 5D, 2G count.
    Keep 14 out of 25 players at end of seasons, 11 go to FA for Draft.
    Using Fantrax.

We are thinking of changing our draft type to an Auction Draft to spice things up, but we have a few questions.

1.What's the budget you allow each team? 250$?
    2.Do you allow more money to the teams that finishes last? if so what how much more? e.g 11th place:250$ 10th, place:245$, 9th place:240$, etc...
    3.Do you give money a set amount of money (the 250$) at the beginning of the season, so that teams can make trades with money (instead of Draft pick)?
    4.We are thinking of setting the Auction draft for the 2021-22 season, but some draft picks are already traded for that year. Would you compensate the picks with money? is so, what would be the rule?
    11-teams, 25 Man Roster, points only. G2-W, 3-SO.

F:Matthews, Nugent-Hopkins, Bergeron, Hall, E.Lindholm, Kakko, Marchand, W. Nylander, Lee, Backlund, Danault, Kovalchuk, Caufield, Kapanen, E. Staal, Kase

D: Burns, Hedman, Krug, Letang,
    G: Holtby, Merzlikins, Shesterkin

Keepers F: Bergeron, Hall, Matthews, Nugent-Hopkins, Marchand, E.Lindholm, Nylander, Kakko D: Burns, Hedman, Krug, Letang G:​ Holtby, Shesterkin,

Picks:1-2-3-4-4-5-5-5-9-10-11

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Auction Draft Setup Questions

Quote Originally Posted by matiuste View Post
    Here's our league setup:

11-teams keeper league, 25 Man Roster, points only. G:2-W, 3-SO.
    Using Fantrax.

We are thinking of changing our draft type to an Auction Draft to spice things up, but we have a few questions.

1.What's the budget you allow each team? 250$?
    2.Do you allow more money to the teams that finishes last? if so what how much more? e.g 11th place:250$ 10th, place:245$, 9th place:240$, etc...
    3.Do you give money a set amount of money (the 250$) at the beginning of the season, so that teams can make trades with money (instead of Draft pick)?
    4.We are thinking of setting the Auction draft for the 2021-22 season, but some draft picks are already traded for that year. Would you compensate the picks with money? is so, what would be the rule?
    Auction drafts are a lot of fun. totally different strategy.
    1. The exact number does not matter as players will go for the same percentage regardless. i.e. a player worth 20% of the budget goes for $20 @$100 or $40 @$200. A bigger budget does give a bit more leeway at the end where the difference between $1 and $2 is huge. I like $200 or $250.
    2. Up for you to decide but our league does not. Every team gets $200 at the start of each draft, plus or minus what they have previously traded.
    3. We allow teams to trade next years budget as there are no draft picks. i.e. this season a team could trade $10 from the 2020-21 draft for a player to his roster.
    4. That's tricky. I think you have to compensate the guys who were anticipating having extra picks with extra $, the exact value would be tough to establish beforehand but with a $250 budget I'd expect a 1st to be worth $15-20, a 2nd $10 or so and $5 for 3rd plus round picks...
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    1. The exact number does not matter as players will go for the same percentage regardless. i.e. a player worth 20% of the budget goes for $20 @$100 or $40 @$200. A bigger budget does give a bit more leeway at the end where the difference between $1 and $2 is huge. I like $200 or $250.
    2. Up for you to decide but our league does not. Every team gets $200 at the start of each draft, plus or minus what they have previously traded.
    3. We allow teams to trade next years budget as there are no draft picks. i.e. this season a team could trade $10 from the 2020-21 draft for a player to his roster.
    4. That's tricky. I think you have to compensate the guys who were anticipating having extra picks with extra $, the exact value would be tough to establish beforehand but with a $250 budget I'd expect a 1st to be worth $15-20, a 2nd $10 or so and $5 for 3rd plus round picks...
    I agree with all of that, though for the last portion I think the best way forward is to go with a normal draft, this coming year with the traded picks, and then go with the auction the year after.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    This post is good.

#1: It varies
    #2: Never seen that in 25+ years of fantasy. It got discussed once, though.
    #3: Each team gets a draft budget. You'll want to assign an in-season cap which may be higher than the draft total, but it may not. You will want to decide how much free agent pickup have as a salary - I recommend it NOT be the minimum, as that means teams can pluck next year's roster from free agency.

You will want to have a maximum amount of salary that can be kept, possibly a maximum number of players as well. I was in a dynasty baseball league once where a guy had a crazy amount of money to fill two pitching slots at the draft, needed no hitters. It can make things very odd if somebody has a ton of money for only a few slots, but that can be fun.

#4: Having dealt with the traded picks in a dynasty football league that went auction, we found that it was better to put the auction in the year after the picks were traded, unless everyone with picks dealt or acquired could agree on EXACT compensation as a percentage of the draft money pool for picks by round. Given that issue it is much, much easier to have your total budget be a multiple of $100.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.