Thread: In or Out on Justin Williams?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default In or Out on Justin Williams?

A visible member of the fantasy hockey community is touting Williams. I thought about adding him later next week as a streamer for Fri/Sun games but pulled the trigger for fear someone sees the tout and grabs him.

Curious what the astute members of this forum feel about him?

Is he more likely to be the Patrick Marleau dead cat bounce, or is he a legit consideration for you?

Haula being scratched the other night and JW's insertion on the top unit is juicy but his TOI is brutal. If he keeps PP1 deployment, is that enough to entice you, or are you out no matter what?
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: In or Out on Justin Williams?

I'm out other than for maybe a week where he has 4 games. I can't see him sustaining anything worth keeping.

Dobber Sports Stud

His deployment is pretty solid so far, depends who you’re dropping for him
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Sage

Carolina has a great fantasy playoff schedule but Williams is no where near the top of my list from that team.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Yes! That's a big benefit of adding him...that playoff schedule. I dropped Elvis for him, but I don't carry goalies, I only stream them in my league on rare occasions.

Haula is on the outs in Carolina after some kind of thing with Brind'Amour. I wonder if Haula might be on his way out of town. This run-in was reported by Michael Russo.

If Haula is out, someone is going net front and that was Williams in a potential one-off or long term situation.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by DzingelBarries View Post
    Yes! That's a big benefit of adding him. I dropped Elvis for him, but I don't carry goalies, I only stream them in my league on rare occasions.

Haula is on the outs in Carolina after some kind of thing with Brind'Amour. I wonder if Haula might be on his way out of town. This run-in was reported by Michael Russo.

If Haula is out, someone is going net front and that was Williams in a potential one-off or long term situation.
    Bold move, Cotton.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Bold move, Cotton.
    The bolder move was picking up Elvis in the first place.

In my league, the highest point-getter among goalies is Samsonov with 41 on the season. I prefer the extra skater who has double that and can't get negative points. Plus, a goalie isn't guaranteed to go every game.

Owning goalies is the worst of fantasy hockey for me. It's torture being concerned about a GA and a W or L.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

Dobber Sports Veteran

The bolder move was picking up Elvis in the first place.

In my league, the highest point-getter among goalies is Samsonov with 41 on the season. I prefer the extra skater who has double that and can't get negative points. Plus, a goalie isn't guaranteed to go every game.

Owning goalies is the worst of fantasy hockey for me. It's torture being concerned about a GA and a W or L.
    Wow, just looking at your scoring categories.

That's brutal.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Wow, just looking at your scoring categories.

That's brutal.
    Yeah, goalies were a TERRIBLE waste of draft capital and just a waste of roster space in general. I'll stream one in a tight matchup with a worthy opponent when I think a shutout is possible for the 8 points that brings and live with 4,3,2, or 1 as I think a win is all but guaranteed. Kuemper burned me once earlier so I've become more unlikely to risk a stream spot start. This week was a great place for it with the players available not being better options than Elvis.

For some reason, one of the best guys in my league just picked up 2 more goalies for the max number of 4. I don't understand what he's doing? I've gone goalie free nearly the entire season and lead in points and have the best record and a lot has to do with staying away from goalies. I'm betting he drops one of his four and grabs Elvis when his wavier period expires tomorrow.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yeah, goalies were a TERRIBLE waste of draft capital and just a waste of roster space in general. I'll stream one in a tight matchup with a worthy opponent when I think a shutout is possible for the 8 points that brings and live with 4,3,2, or 1 as I think a win is all but guaranteed. Kuemper burned me once earlier so I've become more unlikely to risk a stream spot start. This week was a great place for it with the players available not being better options than Elvis.

For some reason, one of the best guys in my league just picked up 2 more goalies for the max number of 4. I don't understand what he's doing? I've gone goalie free nearly the entire season and lead in points and have the best record and a lot has to do with staying away from goalies. I'm betting he drops one of his four and grabs Elvis when his wavier period expires tomorrow.
    It's because in 99% of leagues yo have to carry a goalie and/or the scoring isn't as blatantly stupid as the league you are in. It's like a team defense in fantasy football when the scoring system causes that position's score to go somewhat positive but sometimes negative big amounts. You have to adjust to your environment, and he's likely doing well just being so much better than the others who are also not adapting.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    It's because in 99% of leagues yo have to carry a goalie and/or the scoring isn't as blatantly stupid as the league you are in. It's like a team defense in fantasy football when the scoring system causes that position's score to go somewhat positive but sometimes negative big amounts. You have to adjust to your environment, and he's likely doing well just being so much better than the others who are also not adapting.
    I don't understand what you're saying, here, Steve? You think he's being adaptive by adding 2 more goalies so he carries 4?

To me, being adaptive in my league is carrying no goalie at all. Genuinely curious in hearing why you think carrying 4 indicates he's adapting better than me who carries 0. He's carried two the entire season until last week when he picked up Jarry and Samsonov. In a regular league, neither of those goalies are on the wire. In the one I'm in, they're on the wire because goalies are near obsolete. That's why I don't understand your comment.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3