Thread: J. Slavin Dropped - Do we have room for the upside?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default J. Slavin Dropped - Do we have room for the upside?

Team in sig and we are currently in first place with 2nd and 3rd one and two games back respectively. We play 2nd place next week and have acquired Huberdeau and Josi over the last couple days to boost that matchup, as well as their favourable playoff schedules. We are in it to win it.

Slavin is pointless in five games and was dropped today. Apparently his owner doesn't care about deployment, but I do. His minutes are up and he's on pp1. He hasn't done much with it yet but it's only been two games. Carolina plays four games for each of my playoff weeks so he has a favourable schedule. Burns has the nagging shoulder injury.

The only forwards I'd consider dropping for him (In no particular order): Atkinson, Rakell, Schwartz, Toews. All of them are doing fairly well currently and will play at some point in my lineup down the stretch.

Do we claim Slavin here for the deployment potential and defensive depth/injury insurance? If yes, which forward do we drop?
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: J. Slavin Dropped - Do we have room for the upside?

What does your partner think?

Personally I'd be a bit worried about Gardiner grabbing PP1 if Slavin doesn't produce right away. And with no categories that really favour D, I'd be hesitant to drop a productive F for anything less than an upper tier D, presuming you can work all your FWDs into your lineup.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post

Personally I'd be a bit worried about Gardiner grabbing PP1 if Slavin doesn't produce right away. And with no categories that really favour D, I'd be hesitant to drop a productive F for anything less than an upper tier D, presuming you can work all your FWDs into your lineup.
    That's definitely my primary concern. Do I want to go with a historical 30 point d man. Has the team around him improved so much along with the deployment to allow him to pace for 50? I think it's possible but risky. He did get a pp assist tonight.

I do have to sit 3 forwards every week but have looked ahead at the schedules for the remaining weeks and given the man games/matchups I will use them all at some point. If the gap widens with my lead I'd be more inclined to drop the one I'd use the least and keep a spare d man but at this stage every week it's critical to maximize the win potential. If I get some breathing room on first place I can look at that strategy.

I'm leaning towards not claiming him and seeing if he goes through to free agency then monitoring deployment closely.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    Good one Randy!
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    keep a spare d man
    ^^I think your have a much stronger playoff line up if you do
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Good one Randy!
    Hah, burn!
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Sage

Too much thought has gone into this over the last couple days, but I think Atkinson is the drop. I picked him up from the waiver wire and Bjorkstrand is also available, who I feels is going to produce similarly to Atkinson the rest of the way.

Talk me out of it? Have to decide tonight.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Bjorkstrand should've talked you out of it. 4 goals in 2 games back from injury after 17 points in 18 games before his injury.

The neon sign is flashing.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***