Poll: Will Ovechkin (692) Pass Gretzky (894) for Career Goals?

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Ovechkin pass Gretzky’s Goal Total?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Will Ovechkin pass Gretzky’s Goal Total?

Also consider Ovechkin averages 18 PPG per game the last 5 years. The manner in which he scores those goals is unlikely to decline significantly. Having basically a 20 goal floor is a pretty nice starting point.

Dobber Sports Deity

I just don't see it. He needs to average 40 goals for five more years, assuming he can stay healthy enough to seay at that pace. That's asking a lot.

He'll get close but I think he falls short.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Also consider Ovechkin averages 18 PPG per game the last 5 years. The manner in which he scores those goals is unlikely to decline significantly. Having basically a 20 goal floor is a pretty nice starting point.
    Agreed. I don't see his PPG slipping that far for some time. Ovy is currently #3 all time in PPG behind:

#2 - Brett Hull and
    #1 - Dave Andreychuk??? <--spoiler

Also, Ovy is now tied for #1 for most goals with a single franchise with Steve Yzerman
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Agreed. I don't see his PPG slipping that far for some time. Ovy is currently #3 all time in PPG behind:

#2 - Brett Hull and
    #1 - Dave Andreychuk??? <--spoiler

Also, Ovy is now tied for #1 for most goals with a single franchise with Steve Yzerman
    Dave Andreychuk. How is Gretzky 17th on this list!?
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Really the question is just do you think Ovechkin will play until ~40. He's said previously in interviews he wouldn't keep playing just to break the record, so he might not just hang around. He easily will break it if he plays another 5 seasons after this, and he's obviously the best goal scorer of all time.
    Actually the new rumblings are that he will keep playing to break the record if he's close. I heard Backstrom say this just this past week. I say he needs 6 healthy seasons. So I am going to say yes but its far from certain.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

I voted yes. He's in my opinion the greatest goal scorer ever, with a possible exception of a much older guy, when scoring was much lower. He's certainly the best modern era goal scorer.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

I don't think Ovechkin will do it.

I also don't believe any of the talk that Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of all time. That remains Wayne Gretzky and it's not close. I also don't think that "adjusting for era" makes any sense and here's why.

The one season that Ovechkin led the NHL in points, he was in on 1.67% of the goals scored in the NHL. Over Gretzky's first 10 years, he either scored or had an assist on over 2.87% of every goal scored in the league. How do you account for that when "adjusting for era"? How many less goals would have been scored in the NHL if Gretzky wasn't there?

From the start of the 1980 season to the end of the 1989/90 season, Gretzky scored 152 more goals than any other player in the league. Gretzky also had a season where he scored 28 more goals than the 2nd place finisher.

The Great One

Ovy just passed Lemieux for most career goals? I'm not so sure about that.

Sure, he could pass Gretzky...but I wouldn't take that bet!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I also don't believe any of the talk that Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of all time. That remains Wayne Gretzky and it's not close. I also don't think that "adjusting for era" makes any sense and here's why.
    Of course you don't

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...terfly-effect/

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I don't think Ovechkin will do it.

The one season that Ovechkin led the NHL in points, he was in on 1.67% of the goals scored in the NHL. Over Gretzky's first 10 years, he either scored or had an assist on over 2.87% of every goal scored in the league. How do you account for that when "adjusting for era"? How many less goals would have been scored in the NHL if Gretzky wasn't there?

From the start of the 1980 season to the end of the 1989/90 season, Gretzky scored 152 more goals than any other player in the league. Gretzky also had a season where he scored 28 more goals than the 2nd place finisher.
    There are more teams playing more games and therefore scoring more goals overall so it naturally waters down an individuals numbers percentage wise relative to the league as a whole.

Also, like the link rataylor22 post points out, it’s very well documented that goaltending in the 80’s was abysmal compared to the quality of goalies in the modern era.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Ovy just passed Lemieux for most career goals? I'm not so sure about that.

Sure, he could pass Gretzky...but I wouldn't take that bet!
    How are you not sure about him passing Lemieux? Pretty sure its simple to see that the number of goals Ovechkin has scored is a higher number than the number Lemieux scored. It’s not really a qualitative thing...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    There are more teams playing more games and therefore scoring more goals overall so it naturally waters down an individuals numbers percentage wise relative to the league as a whole.

Also, like the link rataylor22 post points out, it’s very well documented that goaltending in the 80’s was abysmal compared to the quality of goalies in the modern era.
    There’s also the fact that most NHL players back then, particularly goalies, were just dudes who were really good at hockey. They smoked, ate at Tim Hortons, drank, snorted coke (which obviously still goes on to a certain extent)....no one really took care of their bodies. Some guys lifted weights but thats about it. Someone with Gretzky’s natural talent was so much better than those around him. Not only was there less parity in team quality, there was less parody in conditioning and talent and how those two work together to produce a better level of ability league wide - including the goalies.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    There’s also the fact that most NHL players back then, particularly goalies, were just dudes who were really good at hockey. They smoked, ate at Tim Hortons, drank, snorted coke (which obviously still goes on to a certain extent)....no one really took care of their bodies. Some guys lifted weights but thats about it. Someone with Gretzky’s natural talent was so much better than those around him. Not only was there less parody in team quality, there was less parody in conditioning and talent and how those two work together to produce a better level of ability league wide - including the goalies.
    Just to add a bit but team strategy, defensive positioning, transition play and coverage, coaching. It's all better now. It's not really disputable that the quality of play has increased and it makes logical sense. Just watch a video from the 80s or even 90s side by side with a video from today. It doesn't pass the eye test.

I've heard Ray Ferraro talk about how 14 year olds are now skating as fast as he did when he was in the NHL. It's just completely different.

The talent floor of the league is just so much higher than it used to be, you can argue that the talent ceiling is similar but I personally think that's quite a bit higher as well (and it makes sense why that is, kids are training better, harder, earlier longer, and more focused than ever before. Nutrition is better, sleep is better understood, sport psychology etc).
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ninja

I consulted my Magic 8 ball (it's GR8) and it said "Too soon to tell". Huh.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I consulted my Magic 8 ball (it's GR8) and it said "Too soon to tell". Huh.
    HAHAHA
    TEAM 1
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H, G, A, PPP, SOG, FOW, HITS, BLKS, PIM, GWG, ShG, W, SHO, GA, SV, ShL, OL
    3-6C, 3-6W, 6D, 8B, 2G, 20 farm, 3IR

C - Crosby-McDavid-Giroux-Kadri
    W - Ovechkin-Marchand-Lehkonen-Wheeler-E.Kane-Landeskog
    D - Jones-Schenn-Stone-Lindholm-Moser-Whitecloud
    G - Hellebuyck-Lindgren-Martin-Stalock

Full Keeper