Thread: May need to drop or trade a goalie. Which one and why?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default May need to drop or trade a goalie. Which one and why?

My roster contains the following goalies: Price, Rinne, Markstrom, Samsonov and Francouz.

Currently 3rd overall in a 14 team, 1 year league.
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3D, 2G, 3Util, 4Bench, 2IR
    Goalie cats are W, L, GAA, Sv, Sv% and SO.
    Forward cats are G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHP, GWG, SOG, HIT, BLK

As you can see, carrying 5 goalies does put a strain on my skater positions as I only have 1 bench spot available. I would like to lose one tender and possibly 2 if I think I can remain competitive in those cats.

I have made two trade offers to other GMs within the past week and a half. One, my Rinne for Atkinson, and one, Rinne for Garland. These were made with the intent of adding goals, shots, +/- and maybe some PPP and GWG's. Both deals were veto'ed by league vote with the only supposed substantiation being that I'm not getting enough value for Rinne.

I'm still going to put offers on the table where I think it can help my team but if it comes to the point where our trade deadline passes, my only options will be to hang on to all 5 and drop one near playoff time. I do have Mantha and Krejci on my IR and they will add to my team once they become available.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on which direction I should go, whether to keep chasing trades, hold all 5 and use that as a strength going forward, outright drop 1 (who) or some other option not noted.

Thanks for any discussion provided and always grateful for the opinions received from this site.
    14 team H2H Dynasty: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 6Bench

G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, PPP, HITS, BLK,
    W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, Sv%, SO

Center: Kuznetzov, Johansen, Glass(RW), Hayton
    LW: T. Johnson(C/RW), Gurianov(RW), Labanc(RW), Zucker(RW),
    RW: Kucherov, Vorocek, Atkinson, Konecny,
    Defence: Josi, Trouba , Klingberg, Morrissey, Zadorov, Gudas,
    G: Fleury, Rittich
    Bench: Steel(C), Watson(LW/RW), Comtois(LW), Blais (LW/RW), Zaitsev(D), Saros(G)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: May need to drop or trade a goalie. Which one and why?

Rinne for Atkinson imo is a great deal for you. Rinne is an aging asset and I'd look to give him up asap. Not sure if this is a keepers league since it doesn't match ur sig. but maybe ask for a bit more from the Atkinson owner, upgrade some other position and get it done (if this is a keeper league)

If its a single year, drop Francouz.
    H2H 12-Team Keeper (8 + 4 rookies*) - G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

C: Larkin, RNH, Kuznetsov
    LW: Draisaitl, Keller, Meier, Lehkonen, Benn
    RW: DeBrincat, Reinhart, Boldy
    D: Q. Hughes, Weeger, Gudas, York, Andersson, Durzi
    G: Skinner*, Talbot, Allen, Stolarz, Wolf*
    IR+: Larkin, Trouba, Vilardi

H2H 12-Team - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    IR:
    G:

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by gogoayane View Post
    Rinne for Atkinson imo is a great deal for you. Rinne is an aging asset and I'd look to give him up asap. Not sure if this is a keepers league since it doesn't match ur sig. but maybe ask for a bit more from the Atkinson owner, upgrade some other position and get it done (if this is a keeper league)

If its a single year, drop Francouz.
    it is one year league and yes, if you drop one its Fancouz
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Do either of the people you are trading with have the top waiver priority? If so, do you happen to have the #2 waiver priority? If so, see if you can work the deal by waiving the players.
    I wouldn't drop Rinne if one of the vetoing owners has the #1 waiver priority, because frankly, that may be why they are vetoing. That assumes you know who they are, however one can often guess by who screams loudly about deals that don't help them.

Also can you trade picks? If you can do one of the deals, and get a couple round upgrade(s) late in the draft. See if the complaint is the same.

In any event, I'd be planning to find a new league next year. If you have the ability to propose that deals be vetoed, make sure to use that to your advantage on anyone you know voted no, their toadies, etc.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Yea, unfortunately I have no idea who voted to veto. I assume that 8 GM's had to vote no (>50% of league). I used my WW priority last week on a player so I'm now down close to the bottom of the pile. No draft picks to trade either as that is taboo and next season just starts fresh.

I do have a few moves I can make still in the event that I can't formulate a trade. Adding players from my IR are upgrades to the WW. I would be inclined to trade Francouz now and hopefully todays win will add to his value. Or I can hang onto him until a better player comes available.

Time, at least, is on my side so I can afford to wait things out and make the best play(s) for my team.

Cheers, and thanks.

Bench: Steel(C), Watson(LW/RW), Comtois(LW), Blais (LW/RW), Zaitsev(D), Saros(G)

Good luck. I've been in leagues where votes are public and ones where they are private.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Genius

Rinne for Atkinson was vetoed in a one-year league?!?! What the actual Fcuk!

Atkinson scored 41 goals last year and had almost 300 SOG (yes, there is no Panarin this season). Atkinson started slow then he was hurt but is back playing now and producing (albeit a small sample size). Rinne is struggling and finds himself in almost a 1A, 1B situation. He is GAA and SV% are below average on the year and Nashville is dangerously close to falling out of the playoff chase (which would likely see them ease up on their elder goalie).

I would make that offer to the same GM and have him accept it. Then announce to the league that if there is a problem with you not receiving enough value for Rinne then you better have 8 better offers in your inbox by the morning.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Oh believe me, I provided all the statistical proof required to justify both sides of the trade, at least without the Rinne negatives, lol. I also provided the justification and then re-submitted the trade, which was accepted a second time and it got veto'ed again and then I got a beat down for posting the same trade twice courtesy of the commish. It's an expensive league so it's probably some combination of not wanting the new guy to walk off with the spoils of victory. Hahahaha. I'm not too worried as I'm well positioned to do some damage in the playoffs. I'll find something that'll work, even if it means having to wait until my guys come off the IR, which should happen not long after the Allstar break.

Oh sounds like you need to win this year, and then definitely quit those d-bags.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Oh sounds like you need to win this year, and then definitely quit those d-bags.
    That is the goal.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Dobber Sports Deity

Vetoes suck. Just thought I'd get that out of the way.

If you aren't getting proper value for Rinne (which I think is BS by the way), cant you go back to those GMs who agreed and try and do a different trade to get more value to appease the rest of the idiots in your league?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Vetoes suck. Just thought I'd get that out of the way.

If you aren't getting proper value for Rinne (which I think is BS by the way), cant you go back to those GMs who agreed and try and do a different trade to get more value to appease the rest of the idiots in your league?
    I tried. I actually proposed trades to 3 or 4 different GM's not knowing who the veto's came from and didn't really care as I was only looking to improve my team. I added extra pieces on both sides to close their perceived gap but any subsequent offers were declined. I could see that because 2 of the GM's had already accepted an offer and now had to pay more. I probably wouldn't feel great about that situ either.

Just as an fyi, I also had another offer of Garland for Rinne veto'ed as well in the same sequence of events. Reasoning on my side was that Garland had just been placed with Hall/Dvorak, Yahoo had Garland ranked at 67 positions above Atkinson and above Rinne too. From my side, I saw similar upside in goals/shots. They didn't see that, lol. All I got was "who the F*** in Garland!" and "You can't trade Rinne for a WW pickup!" They seemed to be oblivious to the increased value.

I've always been of the mindset that sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make. I'm hoping that's the case here too.