Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I have room for one prospect - Help please.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default I have room for one prospect - Help please.

League in my signature.

With Necas most likely hitting 83 games played, I might as well grab a good prospect now since I have the room as is.

The highest % owned Fantrax minors that remain FA in my league are:

Nic Robertson TOR
    K’Andre Miller NYR
    Hirose DET
    Vesalainen WPG
    Krebs VEG
    Newhook COL
    R. Suzuki CAR
    N. Foote TB
    Bracco TOR
    Tomasino NAS
    Alexeyev WAS
    Lavoie EDM
    Bokk CAR

Don’t need help this year as I already have Hughes, Kakko, Makar, Gusev, Necas and Samsonov getting called up daily.

Just who is the best for me to grab now and either wait on and play or acquire and trade for more when the time is right.

Thank you.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: I have room for one prospect - Help please.

I like Krebs and Newhook most.
    12 team dynasty, weekly H2H, daily starts
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1UTL, 2G, 7 Bench - 23 player roster, unlimited farm system
    Cats - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHP, Hits, SOG, BS, W, GAA, S%, S and SO

C - Crosby, MacKinnion, Bergeron, Kopitar and Pageau
    LW - Marchand, Pacioretty, Nugent-Hopkins (C) and Vrana
    RW - Stone, Voracek, Duclair (LW), T. Wilson and Tanev (LW)
    D - Hedman, Doughty, Trouba, Weber and Giordano
    G - Holtby, Binnington, Quick and M. Koskinen
    Farm
    Highlights - Cernak, V. Soderstrom, T. Harley, V. Heinola, R. Andersson, C. Garland, C. Grundstrom, P. Kochetkov
    Picks - 2020 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th

Dobber Sports Titan

Krebs is a favourite of mine, with Newhook being the close second.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Interesting. Thank you. I wouldn’t have considered them in my multi-cat...until now. Rep to both of you.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think Nolan Foote will fill multicats quite well. He was drafted lower than the previously mentioned prospects of course, still a first rounder and TBay can make anyone a player.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Damn. Why did I expect Miller or Alexeyev to run away with this quasi-poll...only to find other players preferred?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quite frankly, the whole "multi cat" thing for prospects is something I wouldn't bother with. With prospect you go for talent, offensive skills and pedigree. If you are lucky enough you'll draft a Tkachuk type of guy and enjoy the peripherals that comes with the skills. Some guys hit and block alot in the minors but change their play in the NHL because the speed of the game doesn't let them be behind the play.

Always go for skills because even in a multi cat league, offensives stats is what will make you win. You can always find grit (hits, block, PiMs) on the wire or at worst you can easily trade a Gaudreau type of guy for Tom Wilson and a draft picks or something...

My two cents!

Dobber Sports Wizard

i think Tomasino and Newhook have highest offensive upside....Bokk, Vesalinen and Bracco are closest to NHL
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Justinsane87 View Post
    Quite frankly, the whole "multi cat" thing for prospects is something I wouldn't bother with. With prospect you go for talent, offensive skills and pedigree. If you are lucky enough you'll draft a Tkachuk type of guy and enjoy the peripherals that comes with the skills. Some guys hit and block alot in the minors but change their play in the NHL because the speed of the game doesn't let them be behind the play.

Always go for skills because even in a multi cat league, offensives stats is what will make you win. You can always find grit (hits, block, PiMs) on the wire or at worst you can easily trade a Gaudreau type of guy for Tom Wilson and a draft picks or something...

My two cents!
    Good bit of advise.
    Bertuzzi, Wilson, Coleman, Armia - they all floated through the waiver/free agency and probably in 120gp or less prospect pools never made it onto a main team and were just dropped.

All great MC players - but have one thing in common. Take longer to become relevant. You can find them in October sitting in Free agency in pools of 14tms or less. you just gotta trust your gut.

Nick & Brett Richie are two prime examples of highly touted MC players that still float waiver wires.

Aim for pure offensive upside. You can find periphs at any time.

One thing I do look for with offensive minded players is shot volume. I prefer shooters as prospects.
    That is primarily for forwards

Dmen. I also look for shooters, but I really want Dmen that block. The trouble, most leagues outside of the NHL don't track blocks as a category. So it requires often reading the non-fantasy scouting reports on players.

For me:
    Krebs - just love his all around game
    Tomasino - best skill set on the list.
    Alexeyev - solid MC potential.
    Newhook - just keep thinking Duchene in my head
    Bokk - sniper
    Robertson - think Brad Marchand (60pt Marchand with 80pt upside)
    Foote - solid MC potential

MC - forget about Bracco. He's soft, doesn't shoot, doesn't hit. See J. Bailey NYI as ceiling. More likely Wennberg. - forget about

I'm souring on Miller right now... he seems to have regressed a bit in his development. Defensively. It's going to delay his ETA by 1-2 yrs. He'll either stay on the wire or be able to acquire him cheap in 2yrs time. - watch list

Suzuki's a couple year wait. Ceiling is not as high as some of the others. - watch list
    Lavoie looks like a good one, but should sit in the minors for a couple years before getting a sniff - watch list.
    Hirose - about to be passed over by a plethora of prospects - pass

Vesalainen was just called up... I suspect he'll get the Appleton & Roslovic treatment 8-11min/night and waste minor eligible games. Has a lower ceiling than most on this list. I'm okay letting someone snag him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Depends what you are looking for. If you are looking to be patient and value upside, Vesalainen is my favourite on the prospects you listed. If you're looking for the best prospect that's closest to being NHL ready, K'Andre Miller is the way to go.

Dobber Sports Deity

I like Miller, Krebs and Newhook (in that order) the most. Miller will probably take the longest due to being a D, but I like his upside the most. It will just take longer.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I like Miller, Krebs and Newhook (in that order) the most. Miller will probably take the longest due to being a D, but I like his upside the most. It will just take longer.
    What you think Miller can become? I have him on my rebuild team and just curious on your opinion. To me he is one guy i cant get a good read on......
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

One thing I do look for with offensive minded players is shot volume. I prefer shooters as prospects.
    That is primarily for forwards
    Great point- I was going to chime in and say this. Havin a multi cat edge to your game is niceand in some cases it could help a prospect breakthrough quicker or stay around longer but its not really something you should focu on at that point in a players career... EXCEPT in the case of sogs. I dont think its ever too soon to start watching for that, and if theres ever a discrepancy I bias towards the shooter.

I am very high on Owen Tippett right now even though his path to top six and pp1 is jammed up pretty good- hes got the speed, the skill, and the propensidty to shoot the puck as often as possible- lol! Players like that have a floor of Evander Kane or Jeff Skinner- in that even if they never hit the hiughtest upside we have for them you get a guy that can play on a line on his own AND score from there. They will have value regardless because theyre contributing sogs but also because theyre scoring without help. If they CAN figure out the high end part of the game you have the type of player we drool over in fantasy- Tavares, Seguin, Mackinnon, etc.

The reverse of that is characters who dont shoot enough but you have to be careful. I may have pencilled Dach in too low because of that but it is something that can be pointed to and addressed at least to some extent and in Dachs case I think hes doing that. Also sometimes prospects easing into the game play less minutes and might be a bit tentative when first starting so year 1 is not always a good indicator. If theyre in year 2 and playing upwards or 15 minutes and still shooting 1.3 per game or something Id start to get faiirly worried. Another example of this might be Troy Terry. hes a guy I like a lot- Eliotte Friedman and Marek agreed on air that he was probably the best player in the AHL for a good chunk of this year- not the best prospect but the best player! Hes also racking up zone entries at an apparently elite level- underlying advanced metrics paint a favorable picture. Im still a fan but Ive taken my foot off the gas a bit because his sogs seem to be fairly anemic on not getting better. the downside is a Wennberg type which is a fantasy disaster- lol!

Im a firm believer in the 200 rule. Any real core piece on a fantasy hockey team should be firing at a 200 sog pace over 80 games or theyre underachieving. Obviously there are exceptions and outliers but just like the 10 points per million in salary cap leagues- i think 200 sogs for a forward is a good rule of thumb to embrace.

Administrator

Newhook for me

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Oh I didnt pick- haha!

based on sog criteria I like Robertson but thats kind of a hipster pick and hes held up by ridiculous depth. I guess if Im being honest I go Newhook as well...