Thread: Laine

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Laine

Does anybody who follows the Jets think he is going to explode in goal scoring this season? Or is he settled into this new "two-way" Laine?

Should I try trading him?
    13 team Yahoo One Year/Points Only
    No Drops left. No Bench. No IR
    1 pt: g/a/ +1 gwg
    2 pts: w, +3 pts: shutout
    F: Pastrnak, Giroux, Trocheck, Meier, Marchand, Scheifele, Kadri, DeBrincat,
    D: Krug, J.Schultz, DeAngelo, Brodie
    G: Vasilevsky, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Laine

Theoretically, his goals should increase, but his assists should fall off a cliff based on his S% and 5on5 numbers.

If I were to predict the remainder of his season, I would guess 15G, 10A for 25 points over the next 37 games. That gives him about 68 points on the year, which is in the range of where I'd expect him to be on a regular basis, just with more goals and less assists overall.

If you can find someone who thinks he's a 75-80+ point player and get that kind of value, I'd make the deal in a heartbeat. To me he's a 60-70 guy with many peaks and valleys.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Theoretically, his goals should increase, but his assists should fall off a cliff based on his S% and 5on5 numbers.

If I were to predict the remainder of his season, I would guess 15G, 10A for 25 points over the next 37 games. That gives him about 68 points on the year, which is in the range of where I'd expect him to be on a regular basis, just with more goals and less assists overall.

If you can find someone who thinks he's a 75-80+ point player and get that kind of value, I'd make the deal in a heartbeat. To me he's a 60-70 guy with many peaks and valleys.
    Thanks for the reply. What about offering him for Barzal. Is that a wash, or good value for Laine ROS?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
    Thanks for the reply. What about offering him for Barzal. Is that a wash, or good value for Laine ROS?
    Barzal isn't really lighting it up this year either looking at the numbers. He's slated to slow down a bit too, somewhere around 10G and 15-20A, so not that much better than Laine would be my guess. I might try and aim higher given Laine has 43 in 45 right now.

Was trying to find a guy, but haven't come across one in a quick search. Basically a guy who's on an 80 point pace that can sustain it. I might just try putting him out there and see what someone comes at you with. I find Laine is a guy that tends to get overrated and chances are someone will overpay.

The rest of your roster needs to be considered too, positional requirements and such and where you may be weakest.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Barzal isn't really lighting it up this year either looking at the numbers. He's slated to slow down a bit too, somewhere around 10G and 15-20A, so not that much better than Laine would be my guess. I might try and aim higher given Laine has 43 in 45 right now.
    Pettersson is reaching too high?
    Nylander?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Pettersson is reaching too high?
    Nylander?
    Pettersen depends on the guy who owns him. He might not be willing to due to Laine's last season and that Pettersen is outpacing him right now, but then again, he might be a believer and do it.

Nylander is similar to Barzal in that I think he'll be at 25-30 rest of the way, not too far ahead of Laine. Barzal and Nylander could work, but with GWG, you might want to stick with Laine as he tends to put more in the net, unless you're in that territory where you're getting a guy who's a better bet for 30-35, like Pettersen.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Pettersen depends on the guy who owns him. He might not be willing to due to Laine's last season and that Pettersen is outpacing him right now, but then again, he might be a believer and do it.

Nylander is similar to Barzal in that I think he'll be at 25-30 rest of the way, not too far ahead of Laine. Barzal and Nylander could work, but with GWG, you might want to stick with Laine as he tends to put more in the net, unless you're in that territory where you're getting a guy who's a better bet for 30-35, like Pettersen.
    Aho is probably really reaching too high.
    What about Vrana. He's been on top PP last three games, might not last though. The guy who owns him owns Kyle Connor so he might want to get the Laine combo.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'd aim high first, try pettersen, try rantanen, see if you can get any action. Put it out there that there's been some interest in Laine (even if there hasn't) and you're interested in seeing if anyone else might be interested in chatting trade.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Two-way Laine = boooooooring

I really wonder what happened to that kid. Must be having serious mental struggles.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

You might be able to pry someone like Gaudreau away, provided his window hasn't closed. Rantanen would be a good buy-low right now as well.
    Yahoo One Year League, Weekly H2H Category
    Start: 3C/3LW/3RW/5D/2G
    Categories: G/A/P/PPP/+-/SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK; GS/W/SV%/SO

C: Zibanejad Suzuki Jenner Couturier
    LW: Kaprizov KConnor Pacioretty Huberdeau
    RW: Pastrnak Debrincat Rakell Lafreniere
    D: Josi Werenski Theodore Weegar Nurse Martinez Romanov
    G: Vasilevskiy Daccord Lyon
    IR+: Bedard

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by insertnamehere View Post
    You might be able to pry someone like Gaudreau away, provided his window hasn't closed. Rantanen would be a good buy-low right now as well.
    Thanks.
    Tried Gaudreau. Owner wasn't having it.
    The Kyle Connor owner might bight. He has Werenski and Karlsson also. What about Laine+Gustafsson for Schmaltz and Karlsson/Werenski? Is that a good deal for either side?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Tried for Rantanen, Gaudreau, no dice. Have a multi-player offer out for Laine+Gustafsson for Vrana+E.Karlsson. Asking too much but I need to try.

I want to trade him now even more after last night's debacle. Maybe an overreaction...

What about Couturier, slightly better points/60, more well rounded player.

Dobber Sports Stud

I want to trade him now even more after last night's debacle. Maybe an overreaction...

What about Couturier, slightly better points/60, more well rounded player.
    It’s funny how last year everyone was up in arms about Laine being a one trick pony whose only talent was sniping goals. What he’s done this year is what everyone could have hoped for, coming back to the Peg putting his head down and becoming a well rounded player. It takes time but if you’re playing the long game with him, you should be very pleased with this season. If I had a dollar for every time someone complained about Ovechkin being a one trick pony who’d never amount to much, I wouldn’t have to depend on winning my fantasy league to make ends meet

I also don’t understand your last sentence. You started the thread by saying Laine is more of a two way player (implying you’re prefer he stayed a one trick goal scoring pony), but then say you’re looking at Couturier because he’s more we’ll rounded. Honestly, stick with Laine. You’re trying to force a trade and you’ll end up regretting moving him out of growing desperation.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    It’s funny how last year everyone was up in arms about Laine being a one trick pony whose only talent was sniping goals. What he’s done this year is what everyone could have hoped for, coming back to the Peg putting his head down and becoming a well rounded player. It takes time but if you’re playing the long game with him, you should be very pleased with this season. If I had a dollar for every time someone complained about Ovechkin being a one trick pony who’d never amount to much, I wouldn’t have to depend on winning my fantasy league to make ends meet

I also don’t understand your last sentence. You started the thread by saying Laine is more of a two way player (implying you’re prefer he stayed a one trick goal scoring pony), but then say you’re looking at Couturier because he’s more we’ll rounded. Honestly, stick with Laine. You’re trying to force a trade and you’ll end up regretting moving him out of growing desperation.
    I'm not playing the long game with him, it's a one year points only pool.
    My last sentence was dumb, yes. I should have explained Couturier seems like a better playmaker who can still put up 30 goals. Laine, this season considered, seems to be one or the other. I feel with his talent at this point, he should be competing for the Richard and still have those 28 assists, but he's not.

Dobber Sports Stud

I missed that it was a one year league. I’d still hold Laine over Couturier. Even if you think Laine is not performing as well as he should, he’s still practically at a PPG pace and in a points only league, it doesn’t matter whether someone is goal or assist heavy. Laine has been a bit quiet lately but I think that means he’s due for things to pick up. I’d only move him if you could get a clear PPG + player in return.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11