Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2020 ASG/Skills Competition

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: 2020 ASG/Skills Competition

Ya it was pretty lame. absolutely zero point of having abut 20 different "targets" because everyone just went for the big 10 meshed area in the middle.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    Considering MacInnis just popped a 100+ mph shot at 56 years (think with a wooden stick too), stick technology might be actually be regressing when it comes to slapshot speed maybe? I honestly have no idea, just a thought.
    That was staged. It was a tie with his career best.

Regarding the record holders, not too many players out there are built like Chara and Weber. That matters more than stick technology. Those guys are mutants.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    That was staged. It was a tie with his career best.
    Was it really?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Was it really?
    I agree it was staged.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Immortal

Haha wow ya I guess that makes sense. I had it on in the background and I just assumed it was legit.

Dobber Sports Deity

I had to laugh listening to Green Day dropping F bombs during their performance.

They had a delay setup for Don Cherry and didn't think it would be smart to have one for Green Day?? Awesome!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Was it really?
    Haha yes, 100% it was staged.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think this was probably the best Skills Competition I have seen in a long time. The NHL gets my props for a couple reasons:

1. Involvement of Blues alumni.
    I think they did a great job here. It helps that they have MacInnis and Hull to pull out of their bag but I thought that was pretty cool. The NHL got lucky in having the Blues win the cup last year I like MacInnis ripping a (yes fake) clapper!
    side note: One thing I would LOVE to see is Shea Weber take a few cracks at the radar gun with a stick from the 90s, It would be cool to see how many mph the new sticks get him. I think the NHL is fearful of doing this because they don't want any arguments the players today are not just better....

2. The Women's Game.
    Possibly the best part of the whole event in that the Women were playing hard. I typically knock women's hockey but the 3-on-3 was pretty exciting.

3. Stick to the classics.
    Fastest skater, hardest shot, accurate shooter, shootout challenge.
    Those are really the only skills that translate well to hockey, dumping everything except the "Shooting Stars" was smart.
    Shooting stars was a good idea but poor execution, everyone gets 7 shots at the 10 point target and sometimes accidentally scores on a different one. Seems like no one from the league did any game testing on it.
    A head-to-head HORSE (or better yet "N.H.L.") competition would be better here.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post

3. Stick to the classics.
    Fastest skater, hardest shot, accurate shooter, shootout challenge.
    Those are really the only skills that translate well to hockey, dumping everything except the "Shooting Stars" was smart.
    Shooting stars was a good idea but poor execution, everyone gets 7 shots at the 10 point target and sometimes accidentally scores on a different one. Seems like no one from the league did any game testing on it.
    A head-to-head HORSE (or better yet "N.H.L.") competition would be better here.
    Ya I just couldn't believe the set up of those other targets. It seemed they were only giving points if it actually landed on the target but not if the puck landed in front and slid to hit the front of the target. Just weird to me.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I found this event entertaining, but non-sensical. I turned to a friend at one point and asked why they didn't set the baskets up in a skee ball style with the largest points possible on difficult, away-from-the-pack shots, and the remainder in a progressive ring. It looked like they were trying to create a dartboard-like scoring area but all these guys did was aim for the giant blue net in the middle instead of showing any skill.