Poll: Which Player Should Get Suspended?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kassian v. M. Tkachuk

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Kassian v. M. Tkachuk

I was very clearly referring to only the incident in question, which was why my post said "I think maybe his teammates' actions are pretty indicative of who is in the right and who is in the wrong." I wasn't saying that the team is turning their backs on him, just that perhaps they recognized that he should be paying the toll for what he did.

But, if you would like to continue with your sarcastic attitude that is your prerogative.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Padawan

The "obligated to fight" or "answer the bell" stuff is pure nonsense.

If someone like Neal, or Draisatl, or Nugent-Hopkins legally checks Lucic 3 times (sidenote: yes, Tkachuk's hits were legal - perhaps they shouldn't be, fair enough, but that's for another debate) and then Lucic grabs RNH from behind and dangerously throws multiple bare knuckle haymakers trying to put him in the hospital... would ANYBODY in the media say RNH should have faced Lucic and fought him?!
    Of course not. Pure garbage.

Tkachuk fighting Kassian, a skating gorilla if I've ever seen one, hurts the Flames chances of winning.
    And that's why he won't fight him. Period.
    It's also not a fair fight. One is a seasoned fighter and the other is a skill player. Since when are top line skill players obligated to fight 3rd or 4th line airheads?

If the Oilers truly want reparations, one of their skill guys needs to legally line up Lucic or Rinaldo. Simple.
    Of course, neither one is dumb enough to constantly skate with his head down and put himself in a vulnerable spot.
    But, nonetheless, that's the proper remedy here. Not Tkachuk hurting his team by fighting mediocre players and sitting in the box unnecessarily.

Dobber Sports Sage

Are we really calling this a legal hit in 2020? Tkatchuk skates below his red line, makes contact with the shoulder and head when Kassian is in a vulnerable position, and follows through by leaving his feet. At absolute minimum this is a missed charging call:

https://youtu.be/g11MBII7GLY

I think all of it's fine, the hits, the throttle, and the suspension. But let's not pretend that tkatchuk was an innocent party here, even the biggest flames fans have to see that.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    If the Oilers truly want reparations, one of their skill guys needs to legally line up Lucic or Rinaldo. Simple.
    Oh man, how satisfying would it be to see McDavid just destroy Lucic with 3 big (though questionable) hits.

Dobber Sports Deity

The "obligated to fight" or "answer the bell" stuff is pure nonsense.

If someone like Neal, or Draisatl, or Nugent-Hopkins legally checks Lucic 3 times (sidenote: yes, Tkachuk's hits were legal - perhaps they shouldn't be, fair enough, but that's for another debate) and then Lucic grabs RNH from behind and dangerously throws multiple bare knuckle haymakers trying to put him in the hospital... would ANYBODY in the media say RNH should have faced Lucic and fought him?!
    Of course not. Pure garbage.

Tkachuk fighting Kassian, a skating gorilla if I've ever seen one, hurts the Flames chances of winning.
    It's also not a fair fight. One is a seasoned fighter and the other is a skill player. Since when are top line skill players obligated to fight 3rd or 4th line airheads?

Of course, neither one is dumb enough to constantly skate with his head down and put himself in a vulnerable spot.
    But, nonetheless, that's the proper remedy here. Not Tkachuk hurting his team by fighting mediocre players and sitting in the box unnecessarily.
    So what you are saying is it's ok to poke the bear at the zoo, but it's his fault when he attacks you?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So what you are saying is it's ok to poke the bear at the zoo, but it's his fault when he attacks you?
    I think what he's saying is if you poke a bear at the zoo and it attacks you, it's not reasonable for you to have to "answer the bell" and fight back.

Dobber Sports Titan

This is my thought exactly.

Smack a bear over the head with a stick 3 times and it attacks you, but you then come out and say, "If you don't want me to hit you with a stick, maybe you should have moved your head" is a dumb thought process (don't wanna get hit, stay off the tracks comment).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I think what he's saying is if you poke a bear at the zoo and it attacks you, it's not reasonable for you to have to "answer the bell" and fight back.
    Are people really saying Tkachuk needed to fight?

I'm saying he shouldn't be saying, "woah is me" when Kassian fought him. Or shouldn't question why Kassian fought him. Tkachuk can turtle if he wants in that situation. Kassian did jump Tkachuk. But Tkachuk shouldn't be surprised Kassian jumped him.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Getting mauled and waiting for the Zoo to suspend the bear is always an option. Different strokes for different folks!
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Administrator

Thankfully the NHL is not a zoo. At least it's not supposed to be.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's cowardly to try to injure someone and then duck them when they confront you about it.

You don't HAVE to fight them, but don't be surprised if they beat the shit out of you anyway because obviously you deserve it.

Dobber Sports Icon

Let's compare this season stats to see how this argument holds up:

According to NHL.com, Matt Tkachuk is 6'2, 202lbs while Zack Kassian is 6'3, 211lbs.

They are in the same weight class.

Tkachuk plays 18:10 per game but that includes almost 3 minutes per game on the NHL's 12th worst PP. He plays 0 seconds per game short-handed. This gives him 15:12 per game of even strength ice time.
    Kassian plays 16:15 per game but has only played 26 seconds per game on the PP and 2 seconds per game short-handed. This means he gets 15:48 per game of even strength ice time. This is 3rd among all Oilers' forwards.

Both Tkachuk and Kassian are first line forwards.

Tkachuk has 38 points this season including 12 on the PP which gives him 26 even strength points. Kassian has 28 even strength points. Yep...Kassian has more goals, more assists and more points than Tkachuk does at even strength this season. The Oilers are not going to change their PP lines since they have the best powerplay in the entire NHL.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

According to NHL.com, Matt Tkachuk is 6'2, 202lbs while Zack Kassian is 6'3, 211lbs.

Tkachuk plays 18:10 per game but that includes almost 3 minutes per game on the NHL's 12th worst PP. He plays 0 seconds per game short-handed. This gives him 15:12 per game of even strength ice time.
    Kassian plays 16:15 per game but has only played 26 seconds per game on the PP and 2 seconds per game short-handed. This means he gets 15:48 per game of even strength ice time. This is 3rd among all Oilers' forwards.

Tkachuk has 38 points this season including 12 on the PP which gives him 26 even strength points. Kassian has 28 even strength points. Yep...Kassian has more goals, more assists and more points than Tkachuk does at even strength this season. The Oilers are not going to change their PP lines since they have the best powerplay in the entire NHL.
    There it is!

Hope that rumored Kassian extension comes in at 6x6.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Except there are signs at the zoo instructing people not to behave this way. i.e. It's against the rules.
    Tkachuk didn't break any rules.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

This is some serious weaksauce cherry picking, wow.

212 pts in 272 games, 22 years old Tkachuk
    171 pts in 510 games, 28 years old Kassian

Not to mention the serious financial investment the Flames recently made in Tkachuk.
    I'm sure the organization would love to see Tkachuk risk that investment fighting a player with a history of becoming unhinged. Sure, why not.