Poll: Which Player Should Get Suspended?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kassian v. M. Tkachuk

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Kassian v. M. Tkachuk

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I for one, am glad Tkachuk got the shit beaten out of him. I wouldn't be surprised if other players around the league decide to give him the Kassian treatment given his scumbag reputation.

What goes around comes around.
    Yes, what goes around comes around. Meaning Kassian was due to get his ass laid out. He's probably due for a few elbows to the head also. I appreciate the fact that he can stand up for himself and really do feel Tkachuk will absolutely have to start dropping the gloves, but the player on the receiving end of Tkachuk's hits isn't exactly a clean player himself. Players can take liberties on Tkachuk all they want, but then it's open season on the other team's star players.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

"It drives me nuts that the NHL just doesn't call the damn playbook. The idea that the rules change depending on the context/circumstance is asinine. A hook is a hook and a slash is a slash and a headshot is a headshot, regardless of intent, if it's the first minute of the game, or the last minute of the game, or the playoffs, or overtime. It's also a logical fallacy when people say that the refs shouldn't call things near the end of the 3rd or in OT because it'll "change the outcome" -- newsflash, letting a team get away with a penalty also changes an outcome."

This pretty much sums it up. Hard to argue that what Kasssian did was not okay and that there would be repercussions. The real problem is the reffing and the lack of consistency. This situation and many more future ones would be alleviated if the refs just called the damn book. I also think the NHL is on a slippery slope with Tkachuk and his style of play - is the plan to just let him keep doing this until he does injure someone? Or how many copycats will we see until the NHL does do something? Pretty short sighted stuff here.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    "It drives me nuts that the NHL just doesn't call the damn playbook. The idea that the rules change depending on the context/circumstance is asinine. A hook is a hook and a slash is a slash and a headshot is a headshot, regardless of intent, if it's the first minute of the game, or the last minute of the game, or the playoffs, or overtime. It's also a logical fallacy when people say that the refs shouldn't call things near the end of the 3rd or in OT because it'll "change the outcome" -- newsflash, letting a team get away with a penalty also changes an outcome."

This pretty much sums it up. Hard to argue that what Kasssian did was not okay and that there would be repercussions. The real problem is the reffing and the lack of consistency. This situation and many more future ones would be alleviated if the refs just called the damn book. I also think the NHL is on a slippery slope with Tkachuk and his style of play - is the plan to just let him keep doing this until he does injure someone? Or how many copycats will we see until the NHL does do something? Pretty short sighted stuff here.
    Bit off topic, but during the WJC, they basically called games by the rulebook, and it was... not great. The officiating was obviously not NHL calibre, but man there were a lot of penalties. Guessing that had to do with a bunch of players used to lax officiating (presuming the CHL is similar in their manner of officiating as the NHL). I guess prolonged exposure to a very strict officiating style would bring about major changes in the way players act on the ice, but I went from thinking that's what I wanted, to really wishing they'd let more things slide.

But back to Kassian/Tkachuk: I do think Kassian is being a bit of a wimp bitching about it given his record, but I also think at least one of Tkachuck's hits was extremely borderline, and the guy is getting a very long leash from the DPS for some reason. That said, I hate both teams, so happy to see them wipe each other out.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Master

I take Kassian’s side. If you wanna take runs at a player like that, clean or not, you gotta know he’s coming after you. Taking runs at him, you’re sending a message. If you’re not ready to back your message, says a lot about you. I don’t like either player but Tkachuk was looking to stir the pot with those hits; you gotta be ready for the consequences when that happens. Makes you a rat if you subvert but don’t accept the heat. I hope Kassian gets to punch him in the face real square next time (even though I know that won’t happen for so many reasons).

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I take Kassian’s side. If you wanna take runs at a player like that, clean or not, you gotta know he’s coming after you. Taking runs at him, you’re sending a message. If you’re not ready to back your message, says a lot about you. I don’t like either player but Tkachuk was looking to stir the pot with those hits; you gotta be ready for the consequences when that happens. Makes you a rat if you subvert but don’t accept the heat. I hope Kassian gets to punch him in the face real square next time (even though I know that won’t happen for so many reasons).
    He surely DID know Kassian would come after him. He responded by letting himself get thrown around, and the Flames were better off for it in the end. If Kassian wants to get him back, he should line him up and nail him. Every player learns growing up that you can't just snap and go ballistic or your team will suffer. You take a number and you wait for your chance to put him on his ass.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyHobo View Post
    All of the three hits were fine and none were to the head.
    Not one of these hits were fine. All three were Tkachuk intentionally targeting a vulnerable player. If I was the Flames coach, Tkachuk would have been benched after the first one for not playing properly in the d-zone. There is no defensive scheme in hockey where a winger should be taking multi-step runs at an opposing forward behind the goal line in the defensive zone. Tkachuk took runs at Kassian only when he knew that Kassian was already engaged with another player and would not be able to prepare for the hit.

Should Kassian have been suspended for what he did? Yes. Was anyone in the NHL disappointed in what he did? No. The best part of the whole incident is how none of the Flames came to his defense. That's pretty telling to what even his teammates think of these hits and the way Tkachuk plays.

Should Tkachuk have been suspended for what he did? Yes. Taking 5 strides to hit a guy is charging and deserved a suspension.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Tbh, what I noticed is the stark difference in how Tkachuk's teammates used to come to his aid compared to this time.

Last year with Kassian when Kassian started trying to ragdoll Tkachuk like he did this time, three other Flames players converge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVK4c68NEvc

Tkachuk gets hip checked by Doughty earlier this season, Giordano literally flies into the pile to go after Kyle Clifford: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irrdrsThXng&

This time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owDK0bqIFP4

Giordano and teammates aren't reacting at all to Tkachuk getting beaten, even when he's already down. Even listening to Lucic's interview the other day, he spends about 20 seconds saying nice things about Kassian and then at the end just says push comes to shove I'm Matt's teammate and I'll step up for him if i need to.

Dunno, seems like a pretty drastic change in behaviour and I think maybe his teammates' actions are pretty indicative of who is in the right and who is in the wrong.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Tbh, what I noticed is the stark difference in how Tkachuk's teammates used to come to his aid compared to this time.

Last year with Kassian when Kassian started trying to ragdoll Tkachuk like he did this time, three other Flames players converge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVK4c68NEvc

Tkachuk gets hip checked by Doughty earlier this season, Giordano literally flies into the pile to go after Kyle Clifford: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irrdrsThXng&

This time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owDK0bqIFP4

Giordano and teammates aren't reacting at all to Tkachuk getting beaten, even when he's already down. Even listening to Lucic's interview the other day, he spends about 20 seconds saying nice things about Kassian and then at the end just says push comes to shove I'm Matt's teammate and I'll step up for him if i need to.

Dunno, seems like a pretty drastic change in behaviour and I think maybe his teammates' actions are pretty indicative of who is in the right and who is in the wrong.
    Hard to argue with any of this

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Lotta psychologists #OnHere

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Lotta psychologists #OnHere
    Maybe nobody told you, but this is a forum where people share their opinions on hockey.

Ah yes psycoanalyzing body language, classic #HockeyTalk

Dobber Sports Ninja

When the league doesn't take care of this stuff then players will. People are going to start watching McSorley clips.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Ah yes psycoanalyzing body language, classic #HockeyTalk
    The Flames and their fans are embarrassingly easy to read.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I mean, reading body language is actually a pretty handy tool in everyday life and can actually help make you a successful person. But what do I know.

Keep in mind too that the play in question happened right in front of Giordano. He's the one who was in the puck battle with Kassian before Kassian went flying into the boards in front of him.

On a related note, pretty funny story: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...rity-1.5428656
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Tkachuk gave every member of the team a high five after the win last night and Rittich gave him a hug. I wonder what it means.