Thread: New Hockey League 3 vs 3

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default New Hockey League 3 vs 3

Just announced... a new hockey league consisting of 3 on 3 play with travelling tournaments.

They are claiming it will be a professional league.

Can someone say Slap Shot 2??

https://www.3ice.com/
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: New Hockey League 3 vs 3

My first thought was this is hockey's version of the XFL, and will not last nearly as long.

By the way, no penalties? What could possibly go wrong with that setup?
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    My first thought was this is hockey's version of the XFL, and will not last nearly as long.

By the way, no penalties? What could possibly go wrong with that setup?
    No penalties... playing the same teams every weekend in a tournament format... where a champion is determined every weekend... yup... I can see no penalties being a big problem.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Superstar

I can see the business case for this and have a couple of quick thoughts I'll throw out there.

They already have CBS and TSN signed on as TV providers. Pretty much everyone universally loves the 3 on 3 overtime because we get a little bit of it periodically and it always seems to be exciting end to end action, why not take a shot to see if you can reproduce it?

That being said, NHL 3 on 3 is overtime and one goal wins the game, so that adds a level of excitement they won't be able to reproduce.

Give it a shot though, as long as you keep the tournaments limited, once a week or once a month, something like football maybe, and add some kind of season component to it for a final showdown. I could see that holding interest with a weekly buildup. However, if you try to give the public too much of it, it could lose interest quickly.

Take hitting out of it. Allow body contact, but not all out bodychecking, as that puts the focus primarily on skill, which is where I think it should be for this kind of game. If the focus is skill, the hitting will more or less be removed by essence of the players you're using.

No penalties will be tough. I get the point is to maintain end to end action, as it should, but if you want it competitive, players will look to every advantage and I don't know how you can get away with no penalties. (One idea, take a running tally of infractions during the game without interrupting it and have a negative score applied at the end of the game based on the infractions taken? Although you could just flat out trip a guy on a breakaway and go back the other way to score which would negate the breakaway and the penalty...)

I'm interested though and would check it out.

Dobber Sports Titan

3-on-3 hockey is common in the summer, and the "no penalty" is common in that type of hockey. In the 3-on-3 league I played in as a kid, the penalty is a "breakaway" instead of a PP.

You line up at center ice, the rest of the skaters (all 5 others) line up at the far blue line, and then the ref blows the whistle and bam, there you go.

I think there was also a "over-and-back" rule in that league, similar to NBA. So that prevents what happens in the NHL and forces offense, not possession.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll