Thread: What is the difference between Lafreniere and Byfield?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default What is the difference between Lafreniere and Byfield?

Hi everyone,
    I'm in a keeper league, points only, 11 GM and 7 forwards and 3 D counting.

What I want to know is what would you be willing to give if you're pretty sure to select Byfield to the guy who is 100% sure to take Lafreniere. Which kind of player could be enough.

Who could be X in a deal like Byfield + X vs Lafreniere

Thanks

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: What is the difference between Lafreniere and Byfield?

So basically are you asking us what would you add to the 2nd overall pick to jump up to the acquire the 1st overall pick?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So basically are you asking us what would you add to the 2nd overall pick to jump up to the acquire the 1st overall pick?
    Exactly!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Most likely - your best prospect & another 1st.

Most see the gap as very significant after the WJC.
    Lafreniere won MVP - Byfield sat on the bench.
    GM's don't care about the age difference.

Expect down the stretch Button to open up the question... of whether Lafreniere is on McDavid or Crosby's level.
    I'm not chiming in whether it's warranted or not - but i expect it.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

In my personal opinion, Lafreniere is the clear 1st overall pick, and Byfield is the clear #2 overall pick in pretty much most fantasy drafts but that could also change if your league uses different positions. Byfield is a center and Lafreniere is a winger so those with FOW could see a reason to draft Byfield 1st overall. I wouldn't but other would.

No one has a crystal ball, but I am going to say that there is a slight difference between the two but I dont think, when this all washes out in the NHL, that the difference will be all that great. I would be willing to add to flip picks but not a great deal only because I think in the long run, Byfield could turn out to be very close to Lafreniere.

I know, one was clearly the better asset in the WJC but I take that tourney with a grain of salt. Last year, Lafreniere in his first tourney was basically Byfield this year (if that makes sense). I wont let that skew my thoughts on Byfield just because he didnt dominate the tourney.

I might be willing to add a mid to late pick ( not sure on the size of your league so that would play a factor into how late of a pick to add) to flip picks but not sure I'd give up much more than that. People get caught up in where they are drafting a bit too much and do some dumb trades just to acquire picks so they can be in the moment, so to say.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

im not sure caliber is the same but i would say its McDavid vs Eichel once again...to me thats going to be a difference. One have a chance to be a consistent 100+ point guy where the other can add extra 20-30 points per year at his best.

in points only league i would not move #1 at all...but if you want to try, based on your signature i would add stamkos if i was serious about it.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    In my personal opinion, Lafreniere is the clear 1st overall pick, and Byfield is the clear #2 overall pick in pretty much most fantasy drafts but that could also change if your league uses different positions. Byfield is a center and Lafreniere is a winger so those with FOW could see a reason to draft Byfield 1st overall. I wouldn't but other would.

No one has a crystal ball, but I am going to say that there is a slight difference between the two but I dont think, when this all washes out in the NHL, that the difference will be all that great. I would be willing to add to flip picks but not a great deal only because I think in the long run, Byfield could turn out to be very close to Lafreniere.

I know, one was clearly the better asset in the WJC but I take that tourney with a grain of salt. Last year, Lafreniere in his first tourney was basically Byfield this year (if that makes sense). I wont let that skew my thoughts on Byfield just because he didnt dominate the tourney.

I might be willing to add a mid to late pick ( not sure on the size of your league so that would play a factor into how late of a pick to add) to flip picks but not sure I'd give up much more than that. People get caught up in where they are drafting a bit too much and do some dumb trades just to acquire picks so they can be in the moment, so to say.
    I’m on board with this logic. I personally wouldn’t add much to move up and would be extremely content to just select Byfield.

10 months of development at that age is huge so despite being in the same draft Byfield is nearly a year behind in development but his production looks to be as good or better than Lafrenieres was last season.

AL deserves the hype he’s getting but recency bias is skewing the perception his way more than it should be. I remember MacKinnon hardly being used in the WJC he went to and that soured him a bit in the eyes of some folks. It’s just a short tourney and a young guy on a deep team can easily be buried by the veterans no matter how much promise that younger guy has.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Buyer beware on Alexis... when was the last time an 'Alex' from Quebec got drafted first overall?

But I think you have to pick him if you have the first overall pick... but I think I would be just as happy with Byfield.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The guy will make you pay through the nose and it's likely not worth it. If you're not happy with Byfield, then trade down and try and get 2 top 10 draft picks or something, deep draft etc
    20 Team Dynasty H2H League: Devils (Rebuild Mode)
    5th Year
    G=1.5, A=1, PPP=.25, SHP=.25, BLK=.1, HIT=.1, SOG=1, FOW=+.1, FOL=-.1, GA=-1, SV=+.1, SHO=4, W=3

C : Hischier, Horvat,
    W : Marner, P. Kane, Fiala
    D : Provorov, Bouchard
    G : Campbell, Francouz

Minors:
    C : Tomasino, Rossi, Khustnutdinov, Amirov, Stankoven,
    W : N. Robertson, Maccelli,
    D : Addison, Farrance, Morrow, Heinola, Rathbone
    G : Annunen, Thompson

Dobber Sports Wizard

You would have to pay a lot to move up from 2nd to 1st. Much more than you should pay. I wouldn't even consider it, I would be thrilled to have Byfield. It's just not worth it to trade up in this case.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Would u trade Aho for Byfield is given the chance?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Ice chips View Post
    Would u trade Aho for Byfield is given the chance?
    no.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    no.
    Agreed, unless the circumstances dictated that the value swung largely away from a current impact player.
    Say: hard cap league, deep rosters, limited keepers, prospect free keeper slots, etc. Then it's a maybe.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Legend

I wouldn't offer a ton TBH. In terms of production, I think we're looking at this...

Lafreniere (Huberdeau/Pastrnak)
    Byfield (Scheifele)

I don't think either is a 100 point player... at least not regularly. They are not Crosby/McDavid level offensive titans.
    I think prime Lafreniere is 85-95 points and Byfield is 75-90

Byfield is so darn good, he will surprise some people offensively IMO.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka