View Poll Results: Keeper league goalie - Samsonov or Shestyorkin?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Samsonov

11 61.11%
  • Shestyorkin

7 38.89%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shestyorkin or Samsonov?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Shestyorkin or Samsonov?

I have both goalies and I am likely able to keep only one. My team is floundering (bottom thrid of league) and I need to build it up with draft picks and young talent. I have been offered a 2020 first round pick (mid range) for either

I see it like this:

Samsonov -
    Pros - Good chance at being the starter in Washington next year given Holtby's contract status. Has outshone Holtby this year, and plays for the current #1 team in the league. Living up to his draft status, he has performed very well as a co-starter this year.
    Cons - Washington may not have a long shelf life as the #1 team, given an aging core.

Shestyorkin -
    Pros - Dominated the KHL, AHL, and is 2-0 in the NHL, looking very good in the process. I think it likely that Georgeiv will be traded by the deadline, and that Shestyorkin and Lundquist will split starts the remainder of this and next year, at which point he takes over full time. NYR are a team on the rise with a great young core - maybe a year or two away from being competitive.
    Cons - Likely not to be a full time starter until 2021-22 season, and team still growing in meantime.

Which goalie would you keep and which would you trade?
    Last edited by Colts; January 12, 2020 at 1:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    H2H weekly matchup limited 24 team KEEPER Salary Cap league, goals, assists, wins, SO
    Start 3 LW, 3 C, 3 RW, 6 D, 1 G
    Protect 11 players from 23 man roster each year (projected keepers in bold)

LW N Ehlers, B Tkachuk,LW G Denisenko
    C R Fabbri, F Chytil, J Thornton
    RW T Meier, O Bjorkstrand, F Zadina,
    D C Makar, R Dahlin, Z Werenski, A Fox, J Mahura, Evan Bouchard
    G I Samsonov,

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Shestyorkin or Samsonov?

I feel both goalies are equal in talent so you need to figure out which team has the brighter future, not present. I feel Shesterkin is the way to go. Samsonov may also have more trade value.

Dobber Sports Monster

Im confident both will be starters by 2022. But there are some balls in the air for next year. I went with Samsonov because Holtby is a pending UFA, whereas Lundqvist has another year on his deal. But if the Caps let Holtby walk, what if they were to bring in a solid tandem goalie to push Samsonov? Theres more sample size in the NHL with Samsonov - he's been fantastic. And the Caps should remain a strong club for at least a couple more years. Rangers we dont know where theyll be - they still have some roster turnover to do before they get back to contention.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Shestyorkin - he's the bigger risk but it's entirely possible that the net is his as early as next year, and the Rangers have enough pieces that they could be sneaky good. Samsonov is in a Vasilevskiy/Bishop situation and it's obvious Holtby isn't going to be there next year unless he's willing to play for peanuts. As mentioned, Washington's core is reaching the dangerous age together, and we've seen those situations turn ugly in a hurry. I'd feel more comfortable with Shestyorkin as my young stud goalie. A little aside - man, the Russians are churning out some great goalies.

Quote Originally Posted by TornBetween2Pucks View Post
    Shestyorkin - he's the bigger risk but it's entirely possible that the net is his as early as next year, and the Rangers have enough pieces that they could be sneaky good. Samsonov is in a Vasilevskiy/Bishop situation and it's obvious Holtby isn't going to be there next year unless he's willing to play for peanuts. As mentioned, Washington's core is reaching the dangerous age together, and we've seen those situations turn ugly in a hurry. I'd feel more comfortable with Shestyorkin as my young stud goalie. A little aside - man, the Russians are churning out some great goalies.
    Yes, Russia certainly seems able to churn out A level goalie prospects! I am still on the fence - I still have the option of protecting both, but at the expense of another player in a protect 11 league, and we can only start 1 goalie. Probably better to deal one - tough choice!
    H2H weekly matchup limited 24 team KEEPER Salary Cap league, goals, assists, wins, SO

G I Samsonov,

Dobber Sports Stud

I went with Shestyorkin. You mentioned you were in the bottom 1/3 of your league and were rebuilding with draft picks and young talent. Assuming you are in a dynasty league (you didn't specify), NYR is the younger team with higher upside going forward.

Thanks everyone - after some reflection, i may end up keeping both of these young talented goalies rather than trading one in for a lottery ticket draft pick. They both have sky high potential.

G I Samsonov,

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would keep both if you can. Have better trade value in future vs your prosprct D. Choose I would do Shesty.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Genius

Glenn, I would keep both and use some of those draft picks of yours to upgrade your forwards. Empty that wallet of yours for heaven's sake!
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Both suck! Sorokin all the way!
    In all seriousness, it's really hard to say, I think we've seen enough of Shesty in the K and the A plus his small sample size in the N to say he's the real deal, he's a legit NHL goalie, potential is sky high...more uncertainty if he reaches it though. Rags have a promising young core with their "older" core guys around mid-late 20's ie; and a lot of youth in their lineup plus with more youth coming up as well in the next couple of years.

Samsonov has proven more at the NHL level and has been great, as others have said though, Caps look great right now but look at the Kings and Hawks and Red Wings, was a very quick turn-around from Champions/Contenders to "yeeeeeesh, that's an ugly team".

I think both will be good and both will have a lot of value going forward, your decision to keep both is probably the best, can always move one out next year for what your lacking.
    12 Team Dynasty League. $4 increase per player a year FP/ reduced salary for 3 years, Keep 8-12 (League Champion 14/15, 16/17, 19/20, 22/23)

Categories - D-G, G, A, PPP, SHP, SoG, Hits/Blocks, FoW, FoW%, Give/Take, Wins, GAA, Save%, Saves.

C: Tavares $33, Eichel $16 (1st yr FP), Trocheck $18, Jenner $9 Beniers $2 (1st yr RC)

W: Ovechkin $18, Hintz $17, Pavelski $11, Zacha $10, Kaprizov $7, Johnston $2 (1st yr RC), Reichel $2 (1st yr RC), Bertuzzi $1, Tippet $1

D: Burns $20, Jones $17, Werenski $16 (2nd yr FP), Matheson $5, Spurgeon $1, OEL $1

G: Shesterkin $7, Sorokin $3 (2nd yr RC), Raanta $1

MLP Bench: Rossi, Nazar, Kovalenko, Nikishin, Morrow, Ivanov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Since you can keep both, that should've been a poll option. I don't see 11 better keepers.

Keep both.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Keep both. It annoys me that you have both.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Gretzky99Orr4 View Post
    Haha yep I agree. Keep both.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Colts View Post
    Thanks everyone - after some reflection, i may end up keeping both of these young talented goalies rather than trading one in for a lottery ticket draft pick. They both have sky high potential.
    This is a GREAT question! Oddly enough, I am in a similar situation but not interested in trading either at this point. Both have the potential to be great G1 options but there is still much to be seen with respect to crease-sharing (it's on the rise in the league) and the contracts of both current G1 options. As some of these questions are answered I think their value could go up. The other side of the coin is they may have reached their highest trade value as prospects - maybe now you ought to take advantage of that.

I am a rebuilding team, with 27 roster players, no farm team, and 18 keepers, the draft does not often give the value for a meaningful piece to your keepers but often end up being fillers. I'm not certain what the culture is like in your league but trades are thin in mine and usually involve large assets being moved. Few guys in my league bite on the appeal of a prospect.

Either way, hope it turns out for you and your team turns around in the next year or two!
    9 Team Points Only Dynasty - 27 Player Roster (17 Keepers) - 12 F, 6 D, 2 UTL, 2 G, 5 Bench - 2.5G, 2A, 1PP, 2SHG, 1SHA, 3W, 2SO, 1OTL, 0.05SV

F: J Robertson, Huberdeau, Rantanen, Aho, Kaprizov, Scheifele, Connor, DeBrincat, Cozens, Ehlers, Toffoli, Kopitar, Trocheck, Schmaltz, W Johnston, Teravainen, J Quinn
    D: Dahlin, Werenski, M Rielly, S Jones, McCavoy, Gustafsson
    G: Shesterkin, Bobrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Gretzky99Orr4 View Post
    I also happen to now own both Samsonov and Shestyorkin (as well as Buishop) in my signature salary cap league...

However, I have to drop one player before Sunday.

Who would you drop between Fiala, Kessel, Bailey, Labanc, Atkinson, Zucker, Garland, Haula or Hayton?

I would tend to drop either Bailey or Haula.
    16-Teams H2H Weekly
    Salary Cap
    (10 Keepers Bold)

Skaters: G (6pts - Forwards/8pts - Defensemen), A (5pts - Forwards/6pts - Defensemen), +/- (1pt), GWG (2pts), ShootoutG (1pt), ShootoutGWG (1pt)
    Goalies: W (12pts), GA (-1pt), SA (0.25pt), SHO (8pts)
    Salary Cap: 81,5M

C (3): Novak 0,75M, Hischier 7,25M, MacKinnon 12,6M,
    LW (3): B. Marchand 6,125M, Ovechkin 9,5M, A. Nylander 0,775M
    RW (3): Tolvanen 1,45M, K. Fiala 7,79M, Guenther 0,89M
    D (4): Boqvist 2,6M, R. Josi 9,06M, D. Toews 4,1M, Morrissey 6,25M
    G (1):I. Shesterkin 5,67M
    Bench: Zary 0,86M, Farabee 5M, Mateychuk 0,92M, Brink 0,93M, E.Lindholm 4,85M, Holtz 0,89M, DeAngelo 1,675M
    IR: Landeskog 7M, Hertl 8,14M