Thread: Marino

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Marino

Hey guys,

Wondering what folks think about Marino. In my scoring system he has been about as consistent and good as 90% of the other Dmen over the past 10 weeks. My concern and reason I haven't picked him up yet, is that the first 5 weeks he was crap from a FH standpoint... the next 10 weeks Fantasy gold - or at least silver... Does anyone think he will go back to crap the moment Crosby returns? and why or why not?

His stat inversion and icetime coincide EXACTLY with Crosby's attendance. Please chime in as I want to pick up Marino today in exchange for Gus or Dumba. But not if Crosby returns and Marino disappears. What's funny is that even if he disappears it won't much less than having Gus or Dumba, lol!

I am hoping he won't flip back merely because he is a rookie, and no one knew what he could do... but now they do thanks in part to the need for everyone including the rook to step up to cover for the loss of their best player.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Marino

Why would Marino disappear? He's not a C, Sid's return should have no effect n Marino's ice time.

Dobber Sports Ace

I tend to agree except for the stats chart that has been great beginning the day Crosby left. Not so great prior... By more than double!

Administrator

Correlation and causation are not necessarily the same thing. Marino's production increased when his role increased. He earned those minutes. He hasn't been much of a factor on the power play so Sid's return will at worse only marginally hurt him. On the flip side, Sid's return gives Marino a better forward group in front of him, so more opportunities for points when he's on the ice. It should help him maintain his current rate.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Correlation and causation are not necessarily the same thing. Marino's production increased when his role increased. He earned those minutes. He hasn't been much of a factor on the power play so Sid's return will at worse only marginally hurt him. On the flip side, Sid's return gives Marino a better forward group in front of him, so more opportunities for points when he's on the ice. It should help him maintain his current rate.
    The bolded is one of the things that humans have the hardest time understanding.

If Marino isn't owned on your league, you need to fix that. Crosby's return won't hurt anybody who isn't getting shuffled down the lineup, and Crosby would not be a good enough defender to merit moving him from forward.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.