Thread: Drop Greiss for Shesterkin or Merzlikins?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Drop Greiss for Shesterkin or Merzlikins?

1 year league. Cats in sig.

I have Andersen, Hart, and Greiss. Greiss seems to be falling behind in NYI. Am I making a rash decision considering dropping him for Shesterkin or Merzlikins?
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Drop Greiss for Shesterkin or Merzlikins?

I'd make that kind of a move. Griess may figure things out but at best he's in a time share. Elvis is hurt so perhaps not the better option. I'd give Shesterkin a shot. If he's as good as folks think, there are some quality starts there, two starts, 2 wins, .929 S% and a not so great 3.01 GAA. Still, good enough I think as a 3rd goalie option.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd grab Elvis. He's not hurt (Korpisalo is) and by the time Korpisalo returns, you'll know if you have a time-share goalie or more.

Igor is good, but is in a 3 way timeshare, which may become a two way, but it also may be very short on starts.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

I’d grab Shiesty Iggy. I think the Rangers are actually considering keeping him up. I think they are currently shopping Georgiev, and there are a few teams that could be interested before the deadline. Even if Georgiev doesnt get moved until the off-season, The Czar of Broadway would get priority if they keep him in the NHL. Lundqvist will probably lose starts, but I’d think Georgiev would be the odd man out in that timeshare.

Shiesty already won his first two NHL games, giving up a modest 3 goals in each game. It’s only two starts but he’s already looked better than Georgiev and even Hank in this end of career form.

I can see the logic in Merzlikins. He’s actually started to look good the past few weeks. But Korpisalo was having a real breakout season before his injury so I would still expect him to get priority once he returns.

But the biggest reason I’d suggest Iggy is that the hype train is gaining momentum at a blazing pace. I think it’s quite likely someone else grabs him before you get the chance, and good luck waiting for them to drop him if he remains in NY for the remainder of the season. While Merzlikins doesn’t have near that hype surrounding him. His value is likely to decrease a bit when Korpisalo returns and he’d likely still be available then if he hasn’t been picked up by now. While Shesterkins value will likely keep rising until the trade deadline, even if he is temporarily sent back down until they could trade Georgiev.

So if you did pick Iggy up and he gets sent down and they don’t recall him again you can then drop him. And it’s far more likely that Merzlikins would still be available at that point than the other way around.

CBJ are really going to have a logjam at keeper soon anyway. Their best goalie might still be in the AHL. Vehvilainen has been crushing it all season and he’s developing far quicker than expected. I think it’s unlikely he gets called up at all this season, but I wouldn’t completely rule out some late season looks. That is one goalie situation that is going to frustrate fantasy owners for the next few seasons. In dynasty and keeper, good luck trying to figure out which of those 3 is the one to own long term.

But yea, in redraft I’d still lean towards the Czar over the King.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)