Thread: Ways to Improve my team

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Ways to Improve my team

Hello guys I would love any suggestions to improve my team, it's a 16 team salary cap league. Here's my team, I am currently 8th out of 16th right now.
    Centers: Patrice Bergeron, Ryan Johansen, Erik Haula (LW)
    Matt Duchene (RW)
    Left Wing: Anders Lee, Clayton Keller, William Carrier
    Right Wing: Mark Stone, Zack Kassian, Ryan Reaves
    Defense: Matt Dumba, Keith Yandle, Zach Werenski, Mikhail Sergachev, Esa Lindell, Jake Muzzin (IR+), Calvin De Haan (IR+)
    Goalies: Semyon Varlamov, Thomas Greiss, Jonathan Quick
    It's probably not too appealing but i'm looking for any way to improve my team. Thanks for the advice in advance!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Ways to Improve my team

Welcome to the forums.

1. What are the scoring, starting, and roster requirements? I strongly suspect this is multi-cat not points only.

2. What defensemen are on the wire to replace Lindell? He's too overpaid for a cap league.

3. What goalies are on the wire to replace Quick? He's generally too overpaid for a cap league, but it's 16 teams.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ah the Skater Cats are G, A, PPP, PIM's, FW, SOG, HITS, BLKS.
    Goalie Cats are: W, Saves, GAA, Save percentage.
    There aren't really any defensemen, the best one is maybe Myers? I was wondering what pieces I could dangle in a deal if possible

Dobber Sports Apprentice

And I was also wondering what route I should take with my team. Basically if we have the cap which in this league is 95 million, then we can keep everyone. Not sure what to do either to blow it up or find a way to improve?

It looks like you have 18 man rosters, and 2 IR spots. What you want to avoid is expensive guys who aren't that good. You have some candidates:

Esa Lindell needs to go. He's a roughly 35 point defender who blocks shots, but his hitting has never really been good, last year was an aberration. He will move up the lineup when injuries strike, and he's hot now - due to injuries improving deployment, I think. My multi-cat has different rules, PPP is replaced by straight points, and hits & blocks are combined in 1 category. He's about the 85th best defender there, and your league should be rostering about 100.

Jonathan Quick is an older goalie on a bad team, who is declining and has a big contract. Unless every tandem goalie is grabbed, I'd see what's on the wire to free up some cap space.

You have some forwards whose big value is hits, blocks, PIM, which you can often get cheaper on D. Reaves and Carrier are useful, but limited if you have scoring issues, and can't stream them when needed, and let them hand on a reserve or farm team when not. At least they aren't expensive.

Duchene is expensive, but he's useful here due to FW from the wing, and decent PP production.

You also have essentially no guys on entry-level contracts, which hurts as you don't get that cheap production.

Look at your league's wire, and see who the best expensive players are, and the best producers per dollar. Guys you should hope to see (but probably won't) are:
    Blake Coleman
    Noel Acciari
    Barclay Goodrow

Ryan Graves
    Kevin Shattenkirk
    Any ELC defenseman with 100+ hits right now with at least 10 points ( there should be a few of these)

What categories are your problem categories?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So, there is a massive problem with moving Quick or Lindell. We have this rule where any guy over 5 mil can't be dropped. In the offseason, we could use a buyout to drop only one of these guys. Out of those 5 guys, none of them are on the wire right now but Acciari should be on the wire once he slows down again possibly. Some of my problem categories are A, BLK, HITS, SOG. I feel like I have a pretty good defense corps but maybe Werenski and Yandle could be moved out for a more multi cat D man? And by the way, is moving Bergeron, Stone, or Kreider in my best interest? Thanks again for the response

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Because i'm not exactly sure if there is any specific guys that I should target in a deal

I'd target literally any defender making 5 million or less that is a little less good overall than Lindell in your format.

Who do you have making over 5 million? Figuring out who has to go is a good first step.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Alright, here is everyone making 5 million this year:
    Matt Duchene
    Ryan Johansen
    Patrice Bergeron
    Anders Lee
    Mark Stone
    Esa Lindell
    Keith Yandle
    Zach Werenski
    Mathew Dumba
    Jonathan Quick
    Semyon Varlamov
    This is all of them, Kreider makes 4.625 million while Keller and Sergachev both will have contracts over 5 mill next year unless Sergachev signs at a discount

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Maybe putting them in categories could help? Like expendable and all of that? Thanks for the response in advance

F:
    Keep: Patrice Bergeron, Mark Stone
    Probable keep: Ryan Johansen, Anders Lee
    Questionable at the cap hit: Matt Duchene

D:
    Keep: Keith Yandle, Zach Werenski, Mathew Dumba
    Esa Lindell - very expendable

G:
    Keep: Semyon Varlamov
    Jonathan Quick - expendable

To me, I'd try and clear up your cap space to move the guys who you know are overpriced for value.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

alright, I will get back here with a post once I get a deal proposed

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Just made a huge deal, I think it's good. I plan to use a buyout on Subban after this.
    I get:
    Stamkos, Benn, Aston Reese, Subban, Killorn, 1st rounder
    I give up:
    Stone, Yandle, Kreider, Duchene, Sergachev.
    This helps out with my cap next year, and i'm in talks to give up Bergeron for O'Rielly. Thanks for the feedback in advance

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Alright, now i'm in talks to acquire Eichel. The deal i'm proposing is
    Bergeron
    Nino (acquired in a separate deal)
    Werenski
    1st rounder
    For
    Eichel
    Meier
    Cernak