Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shesterkin recalled

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Shesterkin recalled

There was a really good post out here early in the year, or maybe pre-season which suggested that they may do some callups of him during the year for spot duty to increase his salary as well as show how impressed they are.

I think now is the time to buy Georgiev, honestly.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Master

It's a reward call-up, no question, but he's earned it and his AHL stats, with THAT AHL team in front of him, are awesome. It's just one game and it means nothing overall, but I'm excited to watch it. Been tracking very closely since he crossed the pond and the reviews are very encouraging.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Superstar

Gives the Rangers an opportunity to see what they got and help them plan for their future goaltending strategy.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    There was a really good post out here early in the year, or maybe pre-season which suggested that they may do some callups of him during the year for spot duty to increase his salary as well as show how impressed they are.

I think now is the time to buy Georgiev, honestly.
    Indeed it could be a good time to buy Georgiev. Even if it’s not with the Rangers, Georgiev looks at worst to be a very good backup. Wouldn’t rule out him finding a starting job eventually with some other team.

I have little doubt Shesterkin will eventually be the NYR #1 netminder and likely a star GK as well. I think top 10 GK long term is very likely. Even top 5 at that.

This may be one of the last opportunities to buy him at a reasonable price in dynasty/keeper. Even if he’s fluctuates between the NHL and AHL the rest of the season, I can’t see many fantasy owners dropping him to the FA pool again. That’s if he were even still a FA in any keepers/dynasties. I’d imagine would be a minority of those leagues at this point.

In one of my dynasties I can’t seem to offer enough to snag him from his owner. Have offered ridiculous packages of like Reinhardt, PUlock and Oettinger, or Oettinger, Reinhardt and a 2020 1st, or even like Keller and Oettinger etc.. and been turned down each time. Tried variations with Campbell or M. Subban instead of Oettinger, or Bouchard instead of PUlock or Kyrou AND Jost instead of Reinhardt. All to the same result. He’s already being treated like a top 10 keeper in some leagues I guess. I don’t blame them.

While Georgiev might be an ok consolation, I do think he’s going to be many tiers below Shesterkin as far as fantasy and NHL standards. And as high as Shesterkin price might be, it’s just going to increase with every call he gets to the Rangers.

Will be interesting to see what happens next season if Lundqvist doesn’t retire. Think there’s about a 0.001% chance Shesterkin plays any AHL games beyond this season.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Deity

Maybe it's just me but I think people are reading too much into this right now. As long as they have Hank and Georgiev there, Shesterkin s the 3rd option for them. They arent going to waive Georgiev and they aren't going to carry three goalies on their roster long term.

We all know he's the future, but I just dont think this is his time, yet.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

no idea what the rangers needs are but they might be getting decent offers for georgiev

Dobber Sports Deity

SJ is still rumored but we'll see.

On a side note, I'd love to nail down proper spelling on this name. In today's ramblings, the title spells it Shestorkin. I've seen Shesterkin (As in this thread) and at one time I've seen Shestyorkin.

What's the spelling for this kid?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

SKA used Shestyorkin, NYR uses Shesterkin. My understanding is that Russian names originally written in Cyrillic are translated to the Latin alphabet based on how they sound and not a direct character-to-character translation which leads to different "translations" of the same name.

Administrator

Current spelling is easier

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Expert

I think someone told him that New Yorkers would christen him Shesty if he didn't alter the spelling.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    SKA used Shestyorkin, NYR uses Shesterkin. My understanding is that Russian names originally written in Cyrillic are translated to the Latin alphabet based on how they sound and not a direct character-to-character translation which leads to different "translations" of the same name.

This is my understanding too. If you just translate the letters, it’s Shesterkin, but the “e” and sometimes the second vowel in Russian names is pronounced as if it had a “y” in front of it.

So it is Shesterkin, in literal translation but Shestyorkin in phonetic translation.

As an example, Semen Varlamov is actually pronounced Semyon.. and I think they changed it to the phonetic translation after a few years because it was his preference and people didn’t pronounce it how he wanted.

Sergei Fedorov is actually Fedyorov, when pronounced, but the spelling was easier at Fedorov and he didn’t mind it. Gord Miller it TSN did a radio spot on this before Christmas and it was pretty good.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Superstar

my thoughts are teams are calling on Georgiev more than likely over Hank as his contract is awful and this call up shows them what they have and if he's already good to go as a backup netminder to whoever doesn't get dealt. Henrik being dealt really is a pipe dream and can't see SJ making room for his contract realistically. Alas one of the two has to go before the expansion draft so expect the Rangers to be very active yet again as the deadline approaches.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    my thoughts are teams are calling on Georgiev more than likely over Hank as his contract is awful and this call up shows them what they have and if he's already good to go as a backup netminder to whoever doesn't get dealt. Henrik being dealt really is a pipe dream and can't see SJ making room for his contract realistically. Alas one of the two has to go before the expansion draft so expect the Rangers to be very active yet again as the deadline approaches.
    Yup, the expansion draft is going to force the Rangers hand. I ultimately think Georgiev will be dealt and Lundqvist will return for his final season and tutor Shesterkin.

If the Rangers truly wanted to keep Shesterkin up in the NHL then I think they would be trying to move either Hank or Georgiev right away. But this is likely just a one game call up for now. A reward to Shesterkin for his amazing AHL play and as a chance to dip his toes in the water. I’d expect him to get sent back down fairly quickly and maybe get 2-5 more NHL starts this year, all on a temporary call up basis.

I saw someone above posted that as long as Hank and Georgiev on the team, Shesterkin will remain 3rd option and in the AHL. That is true ONLY for the remainder of this season. There is almost 0% chance that Shesterkin plays more than a handful of AHL games next season.

If the Rangers somehow still have Hank and Georgiev next season, which I doubt, Shesterkin will still spend the majority of the year in the NHL. And I think he would even get priority over Georgiev in that scenario. If Hank retires after this season then maybe they’d try to keep GEorgiev to rotate with Shesterkin. If Hank doesn’t retire, then I am almost certain Georgiev will only be a Ranger until they can trade him or he gets claimed in the expansion draft.

I don’t see any scenario where Shesterkin spends the majority of next season in the AHL so that Georgiev can keep his roster spot. Zero chance of that happening. THey are going to want Shesterkin in the NHL probably at the start of the season. The only way he spends any time in the AHL is if they are still trying to trade Georgiev. Which the Rangers would be trying to do as fast as possible so that Shesterkin could take his spot. But I think it’s far more likely Georgiev or Hank are gone by the start of next season. My money is on Georgiev being gone.

But either way, there is no possibility Georgiev keeps Shesterkin in the AHL beyond this season. None. Doesn’t matter how well he plays the rest of this season.

Dynasty owners should not be concerned at all by Georgiev if they own or are trying to acquire Shesterkin. Shesterkin is in no way being overvalued or overrated. He’s the real deal. As we get closer to next season, Shesterkin value will continue to rise. If you want to buy him, the next few months might be your only chance to ever get him at a reasonable or below potential price. Meanwhile Georgiev market price actually could go down further depending on how the next 9 months play out and if he ends up in limbo for a time. Of course if he gets traded to a team that wants him to start his value could skyrocket. But as long as he’s with the Rangers, I think his value will fluctuate and he could possibly be gotten cheaper down the road.

There is even a chance I think that Georgiev gets traded this season before the deadline. In which case Shesterkin would likely finish out the season with the Rangers. Perhaps this call up is in part to see if he’s ready and if trading Georgiev before the deadline is worthwhile.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    Yup, the expansion draft is going to force the Rangers hand. I ultimately think Georgiev will be dealt and Lundqvist will return for his final season and tutor Shesterkin.

If the Rangers truly wanted to keep Shesterkin up in the NHL then I think they would be trying to move either Hank or Georgiev right away. But this is likely just a one game call up for now. A reward to Shesterkin for his amazing AHL play and as a chance to dip his toes in the water. I’d expect him to get sent back down fairly quickly and maybe get 2-5 more NHL starts this year, all on a temporary call up basis.

I saw someone above posted that as long as Hank and Georgiev on the team, Shesterkin will remain 3rd option and in the AHL. That is true ONLY for the remainder of this season. There is almost 0% chance that Shesterkin plays more than a handful of AHL games next season.

If the Rangers somehow still have Hank and Georgiev next season, which I doubt, Shesterkin will still spend the majority of the year in the NHL. And I think he would even get priority over Georgiev in that scenario. If Hank retires after this season then maybe they’d try to keep GEorgiev to rotate with Shesterkin. If Hank doesn’t retire, then I am almost certain Georgiev will only be a Ranger until they can trade him or he gets claimed in the expansion draft.

I don’t see any scenario where Shesterkin spends the majority of next season in the AHL so that Georgiev can keep his roster spot. Zero chance of that happening. THey are going to want Shesterkin in the NHL probably at the start of the season. The only way he spends any time in the AHL is if they are still trying to trade Georgiev. Which the Rangers would be trying to do as fast as possible so that Shesterkin could take his spot. But I think it’s far more likely Georgiev or Hank are gone by the start of next season. My money is on Georgiev being gone.

But either way, there is no possibility Georgiev keeps Shesterkin in the AHL beyond this season. None. Doesn’t matter how well he plays the rest of this season.

Dynasty owners should not be concerned at all by Georgiev if they own or are trying to acquire Shesterkin. Shesterkin is in no way being overvalued or overrated. He’s the real deal. As we get closer to next season, Shesterkin value will continue to rise. If you want to buy him, the next few months might be your only chance to ever get him at a reasonable or below potential price. Meanwhile Georgiev market price actually could go down further depending on how the next 9 months play out and if he ends up in limbo for a time. Of course if he gets traded to a team that wants him to start his value could skyrocket. But as long as he’s with the Rangers, I think his value will fluctuate and he could possibly be gotten cheaper down the road.

There is even a chance I think that Georgiev gets traded this season before the deadline. In which case Shesterkin would likely finish out the season with the Rangers. Perhaps this call up is in part to see if he’s ready and if trading Georgiev before the deadline is worthwhile.
    Good insight here and this just adds weight to what I think is going to happen, the Rangers should try to trade Georgiev now, I don’t think his value can be any higher than it is currently
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    Good insight here and this just adds weight to what I think is going to happen, the Rangers should try to trade Georgiev now, I don’t think his value can be any higher than it is currently
    the problem is finding a suitor, the Rangers may be the only team okay with juggling 3 goalies right now. Arizona won't take probably just to fill a temp void, SJ in cap hell, Devils would never in their right mind trade with the enemy, who else really needs a goalie right now ya know. My dark horse for a suitor and a recent trade history exists is Buffalo who have for some time now had a glaring hole in net. Hutton always s*its his pants in due time and Ullmark cannot be a regular #1. My hope is desperation to make and succeed in playoffs whilst Eichel in his prime pressures them into a deal. They want to give my Rangers Ristolainen for example and Georgiev is all yours.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov