Administrator

Default Re: [Signing] Kovalchuk to MTL

That was a pretty good first game for Kovalchuk

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Good thing they’re giving him 19 mins. The playoffs are gone and they’re playing some has been who will look like shit by game 5 and not playing Poehling or Kotkaniemi much at all. This team’s management has its head completely up its ass. Abosolutely stupid.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Good thing they’re giving him 19 mins. The playoffs are gone and they’re playing some has been who will look like shit by game 5 and not playing Poehling or Kotkaniemi much at all. This team’s management has its head completely up its ass. Abosolutely stupid.
    That is all on Julien. Hes always been known to prefer playing his vets over the kids.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Pretty sure even in LAK he was playing well to start, then tailed off hard. He was a good teammate behind the scenes too. Maybe Montreal can play him enough where a team is willing to take a chance on him that's playoff bound.

Can a team hold salary on a league min contract? If he's doing well, I can see a team taking a chance on a guy who's doing well and only pay him $350,000.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

His shot is still lethal- always has been and thats a weapon any team will want to deploy on a powerplay. The contract even allows for that deployment. The real telling stat imho will be ttoi. Its not clear this icetime will be sustainable. Giving him big minutes to start is a good sign but in reality you kind of have to expect that. if his icetime strarts to take massive nhits over the next couple games it will be very telling as to how Julien will actually use hium. Yes Julien favors vets (maybe to a fault) but he does not tolerate lazy/uncommitted defensive play either. As an owner I love the start but as other posters have stated weve seen this before. The only stat that matters to me in the next five games or so is ttoi...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Pretty sure even in LAK he was playing well to start, then tailed off hard. He was a good teammate behind the scenes too. Maybe Montreal can play him enough where a team is willing to take a chance on him that's playoff bound.

Can a team hold salary on a league min contract? If he's doing well, I can see a team taking a chance on a guy who's doing well and only pay him $350,000.
    I’m sure they can retain salary no matter what he makes. If they turn him into a pick I’ll be pleasantly surprised. As you said...his play will decline from here on. Trade him right now! It frustrates me no end that they are playing him in some futile attempt to somehow convince fans they are trying to make the playoffs when they should be letting the kids play and learn and get better. This is such an opportunity to try for a lottery pick and go into next season with a good younger group who have seen some stuff already. Instead we have Ilya Kovalchuk for 19 mins. Give the guys who are hurt all the time they need to heal. Showcase Hudon for a trade...not Kovalchuk. 30/31 teams already know they don’t want him. I’ll be very curious to see what happens when even Habs management has to admit the playoffs are not happening and we stop these asinine moves designed to placate the fan base or whatever this crap is. I will admit Bergevin has made some decent moves. But as far as making this team a cup threat, he’s an abject failure and needs to go.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Administrator

Julien has flaws as a coach but he's gotten so much more out of this group than he should have.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Julien has flaws as a coach but he's gotten so much more out of this group than he should have.
    A rock star goalie can make ANY coach look good with a lackluster roster. Thankfully Montreal has that. If they didnt have Carey Price, there's no way this team is even close to what it is and there'd be a different coach in there.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Yes. I think he’s a very good coach and not the real problem here. He’s done such a good job of adjusting to the way the game has changed.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Administrator

What does Kovalchuk have in common with Draisaitl? The ability to have a multi-point game and still be a minus. At least Kovalchuk was -1 and not -3

That's just me being bitter about fantasy leagues. Kovalchuk had a second strong game in a row.