Thread: Marchesseault Penalty Shot goal on Dec 31

Dobber Sports Master

Default Marchesseault Penalty Shot goal on Dec 31

Anyone see the goal and think it looked illegal? He seemed to move back slightly after putting the brakes on. Don’t think that one should have counted and wondering if the NHL is going the way of the NBA here where the refs are so zoned out and have become fans (like the non travel call on LeBron) that they’re missing obvious calls like this one.. maybe that’s an aside or maybe not, but this one seemed illegal to me. There’s a case to call it borderline but to me it’s borderline at best. Anyone else?
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Administrator

Default Re: Marchesseault Penalty Shot goal on Dec 31

Puck goes away from the net but moves sideways. Maybe a bit backwards but not super obvious. There's leeway here like the NFL does with lateral passes.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Anyone see the goal and think it looked illegal? He seemed to move back slightly after putting the brakes on. Don’t think that one should have counted and wondering if the NHL is going the way of the NBA here where the refs are so zoned out and have become fans (like the non travel call on LeBron) that they’re missing obvious calls like this one.. maybe that’s an aside or maybe not, but this one seemed illegal to me. There’s a case to call it borderline but to me it’s borderline at best. Anyone else?
    I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw that goal. Totally illegal. No leeway should be given because then there becomes too much of a grey area and the refs favourite team gets the calls in their favour.

Refs are getting worse every year, it’s getting harder to watch. Like the no call on the Pettersson’s penalty shot last season against Dallas. Khudobin clearly threw his stick at him and the refs fully missed it. How do 2 refs miss it?

I understand the league wants to punish Torts for his comments because it’s against league rules. But when is the league going to finally take the blame for the terrible officiating. Good for Torts standing up like!

Dobber Sports Master

Honestly I usually like the leeway with the puck.. even the stop.. but here it looks like his body actually moved away and I couldn’t believe it. I honestly think this one was missed in the same way the most ridiculous NBA travel was missed.. refs gotta get better man... can’t be perfect but on this stuff.. it’s not even at game speed with other players around. Ya gotta call that. The integrity of the game.. otherwise just make it street ball.. street puck.

Dobber Sports Stud

Saw the goal from 3 different angles, it was a sideway move in my opinion which I believe is legal?
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    Saw the goal from 3 different angles, it was a sideway move in my opinion which I believe is legal?
    If it was sideways yes it's legal.. but this looked like he moved backwards to me. Wasn't a lot, but technically he's not allowed to move backwards at all....
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck