Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't sleep on Nick Suzuki

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Don't sleep on Nick Suzuki

Nick Suzuki is rising fast in Montreal and he passes the eye-test with flying colours. 17 points in his last 22 games. All his metrics are looking very sustainable and his ice-time is steadily climbing up. He has revitalized the Habs power-play from the wall and the set plays consistently go through him (a bit like Wheeler in WPG or Marner in TOR). He has developed evident chemistry with Max Domi. His hockey IQ is through the roof. His skating is not elite but he always seems to be a step ahead.

I may be getting carried away (because of the media in Mtl, it's easy to do), but here's a hot take : Nick Suzuki will become the Habs' best offensive player sooner rather than later. At the moment, he's certainly their best prospect.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Don't sleep on Nick Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    Nick Suzuki is rising fast in Montreal and he passes the eye-test with flying colours. 17 points in his last 22 games. All his metrics are looking very sustainable and his ice-time is steadily climbing up. He has revitalized the Habs power-play from the wall and the set plays consistently go through him (a bit like Wheeler in WPG or Marner in TOR). He has developed evident chemistry with Max Domi. His hockey IQ is through the roof. His skating is not elite but he always seems to be a step ahead.

I may be getting carried away (because of the media in Mtl, it's easy to do), but here's a hot take : Nick Suzuki will become the Habs' best offensive player sooner rather than later. At the moment, he's certainly their best prospect.
    What does that even mean?
    heh...

I can get on board with that....
    I mean, it's not like Mtl is screaming with top 20 offensive talent.
    They need someone to take the bull by the horns offensively
    Domi, Tatar, Drouin, Weber... I mean team scoring leader is there for the taking.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

Sold. To the man in the frigid north.

But really, he does look good. Better than I expected honestly. But then, you throw enough crap on the wall something is bound to stick. I definitely think he will be on Habs top line for years to come.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Was up 'til early AM pondering adding him and dropping Kadri. Didn't pull the trigger. Seeing this has reignited the temptation. I just might do it.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    What does that even mean?
    heh...

I can get on board with that....
    I mean, it's not like Mtl is screaming with top 20 offensive talent.
    They need someone to take the bull by the horns offensively
    Domi, Tatar, Drouin, Weber... I mean team scoring leader is there for the taking.
    I think you've answered your own question!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Just traded him along with a 2020 2nd/2021 4th round picks away for kaapo Kakko. Hurts to see him lighting it up now, but since I already had Cody glass, I thought I’d make the same move Vegas did by deciding he was the one to go. I also don’t trust Montreal enough. But for someone who doesn’t watch many Habs games, seeing Domi and him together appears to be a match that will stay together for a while. So far so good.
    12 Team Dynasty
    Scoring
    -Goal(3), Assist(2), ShortHandedP(1), Blk(.5), HatTrick(1.5),
    -GoalsAgainst(-1), Sv(.2), SO(2), W(3)
    Forwards/Minor Forwards
    J.Huberdeau, L.Draisaitl, S.Aho, T.Teravainen, M.Stone, A.Athanasiou, J.Marchessault, K.Yamamoto, C.Garland, T.Burtuzzi, K.Kapanen, O.Palat, D.Strome, L.Kunin, T.Stutzle, K.Kakko, C.Glass, N.Hoglander, N.Robertson, J.Robertson, S.Jarvis, A.Texier, M.Boldy, H.Borgstrom, K.Simontaival, I.Nikolayev, M.Bourque
    Defense/Minor Defense
    R.Josi, T.Krug, K.Yandle, E.Lindell, J.Faulk, E.Bear J.Valimaki, T.Harley, I.Mitchell, H.Grans, D.Samorukov
    Goalies
    J.Binnington, K.Lankinen P.Mrazek, M.Blackwood, P.Francouz, U.Luukkonen

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalToTheOil View Post
    Just traded him along with a 2020 2nd/2021 4th round picks away for kaapo Kakko. Hurts to see him lighting it up now, but since I already had Cody glass, I thought I’d make the same move Vegas did by deciding he was the one to go. I also don’t trust Montreal enough. But for someone who doesn’t watch many Habs games, seeing Domi and him together appears to be a match that will stay together for a while. So far so good.
    Relative to what owners in my Dynasty leagues are asking for Kakko, I think you made out like a bandit. No Kakko owner in any of my leagues would consider Suzuki a 2020 1st and a 2020 2nd let alone what you paid. I got turned down offering Zadina, Brannstrom 2020 1st and 2nd along with other similar offers. As good as Suzuki has looked, I think that was a great trade for you long term.

Suzuki definitely better than I expected, earlier than expected. But he does look legit. I’d think long term he has the looki of a 1st line winger, secondary faceoff, PP1 kind of player. A shame Kotka got injured. Also, Poehling looks a shell of a player compared to how he looked last year. Not sure what happened but he was struggling in the AHL also. He might end up really being a 3C instead of a 2C. That would make it interesting to see what they do between Kotka, Suzuki and Domi regarding top 6 Center. To my great surprise, Danault really proving himself as much more than a third line Center. I’d assume he has one of those top two Center spots locked up. I think then it would make sense for Suzuki to eventually line up at wing next to KOtka so they could share Faceoff responsibilities. Danault definitely doesn’t seem to need help in that department. What a steal he’s been.

It’s rare I get to say this, but the Habs really made a few good draft picks.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    Suzuki definitely better than I expected, earlier than expected. But he does look legit. I’d think long term he has the looki of a 1st line winger, secondary faceoff, PP1 kind of player. A shame Kotka got injured. Also, Poehling looks a shell of a player compared to how he looked last year. Not sure what happened but he was struggling in the AHL also. He might end up really being a 3C instead of a 2C. That would make it interesting to see what they do between Kotka, Suzuki and Domi regarding top 6 Center. To my great surprise, Danault really proving himself as much more than a third line Center. I’d assume he has one of those top two Center spots locked up. I think then it would make sense for Suzuki to eventually line up at wing next to KOtka so they could share Faceoff responsibilities. Danault definitely doesn’t seem to need help in that department. What a steal he’s been.
    Apart from Danault, who really cemented his top-6 position, the centremen situation is very volatile in Montreal and it might take a couple of seasons before it is settled.

Domi is better suited for the wing long-term imo - his speed makes him a great F1 on the forecheck. Kotkaniemi has the tools but he's really struggling at 5v5 this season, he'll need time as the game looks too fast for him right now. Poehling doesn't have the same upside and his 4 goals game last season skewed the expectations, but he already has great checking and defensive abilities.

Suzuki really looks good at the centre position, but he's so intelligent and adaptable that he could indeed end up at the wing. He's producing at any position so far and has played in every situation of the game under Claude Julien. He has arrived and he's only getting better.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    Relative to what owners in my Dynasty leagues are asking for Kakko, I think you made out like a bandit. No Kakko owner in any of my leagues would consider Suzuki a 2020 1st and a 2020 2nd let alone what you paid. I got turned down offering Zadina, Brannstrom 2020 1st and 2nd along with other similar offers. As good as Suzuki has looked, I think that was a great trade for you long term.

It’s rare I get to say this, but the Habs really made a few good draft picks.
    I tend to agree they made some good picks of late... just the names you mentioned - outside of Kotkan have been acquired in trades - not drafted.

Hate to say it, but Bergevin has been pretty astute of late in identifying players that have more upside if put in different/better situations. Petry would be another name to add
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I tend to agree they made some good picks of late... just the names you mentioned - outside of Kotkan have been acquired in trades - not drafted.

Hate to say it, but Bergevin has been pretty astute of late in identifying players that have more upside if put in different/better situations. Petry would be another name to add
    Ah well. Knew that Domi and Suzuki came from elsewhere but thought Danault was one of theirs. But yea, either way they finally are building a solid base. Petry really came out of nowhere, producing at this level.

A shame they won’t be in the running for Lafreiniere. I know how much they traditionally overrate home province kids, with Lafreniere they would actually have been getting it right.

Could still see them taking Lapierre though if he’s still there when they pick. Although they might need a D more overall.

Anyway, back to Suzuki. I could definitely see him moving around a line to where he’s needed most on any given night. But the Wheeler comparison, as far as running plays through him from the wing, and sharing in face offs seems pretty accurate. That could definitely allow them some leeway at the center position as far as not necessarily needing a traditional center lining up with Suzuki. Maybe more of a goal scorer, or a guy not so great at face offs, which I do think could eventually work out well for Kotka. I do like Kotka s a prospect, and beleive in his potential. But there’s some concern there also. I think they gambled a lot on him, just taking him over other players that were available. So they really need him to work out to some degree. But yea, he hasn’t looked great in 5v5 so far.

And those goals last year definitely skewed how Poehling was viewed. I would definitely say he looks more like he’s going to be a 3C. Similar perhaps to what was expected of Danault before he blew those out of the water. Which is still fine. Teams need that sort of 3rd line to win. I already traded him early this season in any of my DYnasty leagues that I owned him. I’m sure his price is down now. Just wish I had tried to trade him for Suzuki before all this occurred. Instead I moved him for Dvorak, so still pretty happy with the move. Going to have to pay an arm and a leg for Suzuki now though. Been contemplating what to offer myself.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

Dobber Sports Stud

Little update here.

Suzuki has 11 points in his last 11 games. His ice time has dipped a little bit with the return of some players and the tenure of Kovalchuk, but he's making skilled plays all-over the ice.
    This is a first-line centre next season. You can see he processes the game faster than the other players. He's also very adept at spinning away from defenders and finding the open man.
    He needs a sniper by his side and he'll rack-up the primary assists. Maybe Caufield in the near future?

The Great One

I just acquired him- Im so stoked. His ES scoring is solid already anmd all I keep reading here and in other places is how hes completely transformed the powerplay to the point they run everything through him on the half wall. I though i had read during his draft year he had consistency issues but Im doing some deeper digging on HFboards and stuff lately as I just acquired him and Glass in a re-build and I think it was actually quite the opposite- he was very consistent. Sometime the compete level for high IQ players doesnt always past the eye test but thats because theyre often where they need to be ahead of time as opposed to chasing the play. Any coach/scout breakdowns of Suzuki dont have that criticism and in favt laud his work ethic at practice. Thats the type of prospect I like- superstar skill with a grinders hustle!

Dobber Sports Stud

This is a first-line centre next season.
    The playoffs have shown he's already there: skilled, determined and extremely intelligent.
    Habs best player in the bubble in my books.
    I wouldn't blink if he hit 70 next season, with his progression + usage.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I doubt anybody is sleeping on him after the series he just had.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    I doubt anybody is sleeping on him after the series he just had.
    Going to be expensive to acquire now. Expect to pay if you want him.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO