Thread: newer honda crv's oil dilution issue

Dobber Sports Master

Default newer honda crv's oil dilution issue

I came close to making a deal over the holidays trading in my 2016 crv that has the tried and true 2.4 engine for a 2020 that has the 1.5 turbo that is known for a highly reported problem with oil dilution . lets just say I'm glad that I decided to think it over during the holidays before signing the paperwork .I never considered doing any research on the 2020 with the 1.5 turbo because its already been around since the 2017 newer crv version came out and assumed .....

I've been with honda most of my adult life with a sprinkle of toyotas in between . In my younger days I had a civic that lasted me 10+ years without any major issues and when I traded it in they still gave me 5 grand for it even though it needed new brake lines .

I'm no expert , but I just wanted to share this issue with anyone here considering a newer crv or who may currently own one with the 1.5 turbo .

on edit - by trade in , I meant lease a new 2020 while dealer took my 2016 off my hands .

20 pages of consumer reports member complaints
    https://www.consumerreports.org/stor...tionnaireId=69

3,000 posts regarding issue at the busiest honda crv forum I could find - this is a link to the thread - some bickering between members who think it isnt a big issue verses those who think otherwise . some posts have good info though .

https://www.crvownersclub.com/thread...9#post-1595600

anyways , I'm a big fan of honda but this issue scares the crap out of me . I'm going to keep my 2016 until the dust settles or do some research on comparable small suv's

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: newer honda crv's oil dilution issue

Not to shake you up, but this is THE best time of the year to buy a vehicle. Sales are slower and the deals usually don't get any better than they are during the last week of the year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Not to shake you up, but this is THE best time of the year to buy a vehicle. Sales are slower and the deals usually don't get any better than they are during the last week of the year.
    I'm a leasing kinda guy but I'm going to buy out my end lease of the 2016 crv with the tried and true engine . My usual sales rep normally makes me an offer on my current lease to put me into the newer model when theres 3ish months left in my lease but I'm going to let him know I'll be buying this one out . Re-sale value on my model after doing some research is at approx 18-20 k + taxes and my buyout price aka , residual value is 14,000 + tax for approx 16 k so I'll be ahead of the curve . My lease rate on current model is close zero percent so I didnt pay much interest in the 4 year lease because he used a current lease promo rate at the time + honda loyalty program to get it so low .

I'll buy it out and become a free agent so to speak by not having a lease end date backing me into a corner from a negotiating pov. I've read great things about the mazda cx-5 but the darn mazda dealership closed down because the owner switched to carrying hyundai instead .

I'm not looking at getting into a lease v.s own debate here lol so hold the moan in that regard .

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I'm a leasing kinda guy but I'm going to buy out my end lease of the 2016 crv with the tried and true engine . My usual sales rep normally makes me an offer on my current lease to put me into the newer model when theres 3ish months left in my lease but I'm going to let him know I'll be buying this one out . Re-sale value on my model after doing some research is at approx 18-20 k + taxes and my buyout price aka , residual value is 14,000 + tax for approx 16 k so I'll be ahead of the curve . My lease rate on current model is close zero percent so I didnt pay much interest in the 4 year lease because he used a current lease promo rate at the time + honda loyalty program to get it so low .

I'll buy it out and become a free agent so to speak by not having a lease end date backing me into a corner from a negotiating pov. I've read great things about the mazda cx-5 but the darn mazda dealership closed down because the owner switched to carrying hyundai instead .

I'm not looking at getting into a lease v.s own debate here lol so hold the moan in that regard .
    LOL, I've chewed on that debate many times myself. I'd love to lease but I put too many kms on my vehicles to make it worth my while. If you're ahead of the curve, you must have low mileage.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    LOL, I've chewed on that debate many times myself. I'd love to lease but I put too many kms on my vehicles to make it worth my while. If you're ahead of the curve, you must have low mileage.
    yeas , maybe 15,000 per year . couple of trips from northern ont to rama / cottage country or brampton to visit wifes sis otherwise pretty much small city canada type of useage.