Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flu

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Flu

Getzlaf today, out with the flu. Malkin and Rust last week. Others, I’m sure... I DO understand that my profession is different than professional athletes, BUT !!

I’m required by my employer to have a flu shot. They would pay my salary during illness, yes - but they not only OFFER to prevent this common winter ailment, they REQUIRE it of all staff I work with (religious exceptions aside...). Seriously, the freaking FLU can cost points in the standings, when it’s contagious and 90% preventable?? NHLPA would object to flu shots??? I doubt it. Seems just stupid.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Administrator

Default Re: Flu

Where did you get your info about flu shots in the NHL?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah the flu shot isn't 100% effective even when they get it right. The fact that entire teams don't go down with it at the same time is probably as good an indicator that they do utilize it. Unless you've read something specific?
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Stud

No, it’s not 100%. But as a doc, I’ve played a part in keeping wrestling teams at HS and at NCAA levels from forfeiting events, and the stakes are high enough that the team docs (usually orthopedic surgeons?) should take every precaution they can.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Administrator

Do you have any info on whether or not NHL players get flu shots?

Administrator

Considering all the fan outreach that NHL players do interacting with people of all walks of life including those in demographics most at risk of influenza complications, you could argue that is reason for every player to be mandated to receive an annual flu shot. Of course, we know that the flu shot often doesn't prevent the spread because the strain of the virus making the rounds isn't always covered by the vaccine, but it could help.

Ultimately, the players could all receive shots and these situations would still pop up. I'd be curious to know about any team or league-wide policies regarding this.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Found this from 2009: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-is-moni...-h1n1/c-503913

"Nothing more than we've done in the past," coach Alain Vigneault said when asked if additional preventive measures were being put in place this year. "We'll give our guys shots after we've done this big stretch here (nine games in 17 days). The shots are planned for mid-November."

Sounds to me like it's pretty common practice, and like you say, can't see why it wouldn't be. Still would like to know if you read something specific that got your attention enough to create this thread?
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)

Roster

Dobber Sports Genius

No one should be mandated to get a flu shot. Give me a break.

Administrator

I haven't found any info myself but I've seen tons of mentions of NHL teams hosting clinics for the flu shot. So it seems the league is in favor of them.

To me there's some assumptions being made at the start of this thread, which is why I asked.

Dobber Sports Sage

Let's not get into a flu shot debate here but I had mine a month ago and have been sick for the last week. The shot doesn't prevent everything. Frustrating when it's your fantasy players but hockey is just a hygenically (is that a word?) disgusting game when you really start to think about it. It's amazing that it doesn't happen more often.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Let's not get into a flu shot debate here but I had mine a month ago and have been sick for the last week. The shot doesn't prevent everything. Frustrating when it's your fantasy players but hockey is just a hygenically (is that a word?) disgusting game when you really start to think about it. It's amazing that it doesn't happen more often.
    I don't think anybody is debating whether or not they should, just whether or not they do? Also not really a debate, just trying to find out if there's any info online one way or the other...

Edit: Nm, didn't see CascadeFilly's post.
    Ice Cap

Roster

Dobber Sports Master

many players grab mouth guards often during the game with their gloves on . Just think of the variety of things those hockey gloves touch throughout the game . , If a few guys have the flu bug its no wonder it goes through the entire team at times . Think of the enclosed areas these guys are in (team bus , team airplane , hotel with possible infected roomate ,dressing room etc.)

I went grocery shopping yesterday and a lady was finishing off a timmies bagel while touching the grocery cart handle off and on while she shopped . when she was done the bagel she licked all her fingers , wtf lady ...use some common sense

on edit , I'm not for or against getting the flu shot .

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Attached Images Attached Images
    Ice Cap

Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

I haven't gotten a flu shot in years, but isn't it kinda common for people to get a bit of a cold after they get the flu shot? It's not the flu, but just a cold?

But lets be real. 23 players/team, 31 teams, 713players, hundreds of staff members, and public interacting with each other, while getting weird sleep. 100% except the 5% (35.65players/yr) of the league to get the flu. Just odd it's typically the top players that seem to get it.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I haven't gotten a flu shot in years, but isn't it kinda common for people to get a bit of a cold after they get the flu shot? It's not the flu, but just a cold?

But lets be real. 23 players/team, 31 teams, 713players, hundreds of staff members, and public interacting with each other, while getting weird sleep. 100% except the 5% (35.65players/yr) of the league to get the flu. Just odd it's typically the top players that seem to get it.
    I swear after getting a flu shot I had a runny nose for 3 months straight years ago ; I blamed the shot hah .