Thread: Time to drop Giordano?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Time to drop Giordano?

He was my #1 D-man drafted, and he has been barely average. Yahoo currently ranks 16 other Free Agent D's higher than him in my league. I'm going to try like heck to package him in a trade on his name value and potential, but most guys are smart enough to see that he's barely helping right now. If nobody bites, is it worth dropping him for, say, Pionk, Deangelo, Fox, Morrissey or Niskanen? Or maybe a hitter like Gudbranson, Nurse, or Dillon?
    C: Kopitar, Jarvis (RW), Thomas
    RW: Wilson, Bratt (LW), Zuccarello, Svechnikov (LW)
    LW: B. Tkachuk, E.Kane, Boldy (RW)
    D: Matheson, Rielly, Dahlin, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Kochetkov
    IR+

10 Team H2H, one year, G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, HIT, W, SVP, GAA, SV
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2Util, 2G

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Time to drop Giordano?

I'd be inclined to hold Giordano.
    He simply has too much talent to keep sucking.

Sometimes players need a "reset".
    Keep him thru Christmas and then eval him on his 3gp after: EDM(Dec27), VAN(Dec29), CHI(Dec31).
    If he sucks in those three GP... switch him out.

Dobber Sports Titan

10team, 4 starting D, 2 util. Prolly each team owns 5-ish D.

50 D-men rostered. He’s def a rostered player. I’d hold onto him, but if he’s not turning it around, you could use the name value to get a hitter like you said.

If you're in a good place in the standings right now, you hold onto him until February and address the issue with the trade deadline. If you need to turn it around now, I'd wait a bit, if you bought yourself time over the next week or two, I'd look at it around the all-star break.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by jimc21 View Post
    He was my #1 D-man drafted, and he has been barely average. Yahoo currently ranks 16 other Free Agent D's higher than him in my league. I'm going to try like heck to package him in a trade on his name value and potential, but most guys are smart enough to see that he's barely helping right now. If nobody bites, is it worth dropping him for, say, Pionk, Deangelo, Fox, Morrissey or Niskanen? Or maybe a hitter like Gudbranson, Nurse, or Dillon?
    This is so hard to say. I grabbed Yandle off the FA list after he was dropped and he has been so good. The previous owner just gave up on him too early. I did the same for Varly after he was dropped prematurely.

With that said, I held onto Benn and Vasilevsky for too long. They both underperformed and hurt my team. I was lucky and was able to work out trades for both players that I was happy with.

It's a matter of finding the right balance. I am surprised that your league still has all those D-men on the WW/FA list despite having 10 teams with 4 starting D. It suggests to me that you might get value for Giordano because of his name. Have you tried to trade him? I tried to get value for Trocheck before just dropping him - probably sent out 20+ trade offers and no one showed any interest so I was forced just to drop him. I had much more luck with Benn and Vas even though they were severely underperforming. This is exactly what I went through with Benn - I kept deciding to keep him and eventually was able to work out a trade that helped my team.

Can you afford to wait - what position are you in the league and what cats do you need help with? If the cats are PIM, +/- or Hits, I would probably wait until the new year since those cats are easy to pickup. If you need help more on the scoring side, then I would explore trading him thoroughly and if you get no bites, then I might drop him for one options you listed above. The problem is that he has not performed terribly this year and while some of the guys on the WW/FA list are slight upgrades in scoring so far this year none of them have his upside.

Does your league limit the drops/adds? If not, with the quality of D on the FA/WW list, I would stream D-men if you decide to drop Giordano.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks Anthonybeaty. Yeah, I had Vas too, and got a great deal trading him for MacKinnon! I am thrilled with that trade! I also grabbed Yandle off the waiver wire, and dropped Trocheck after being unable to trade him. Sounds like we are managing the same team.

I can wait on this, and I have already used nearly half of my moves for the season. So no harm in waiting, other than the fact that I missed out on Pionk this morning by doing nothing! But I guess there will be other fish in the sea. I am not in a position to stream D's because of limited moves, but I sure as heck am going to try to trade Gio! Maybe his name still count for something.
    IR+

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by jimc21 View Post
    Thanks Anthonybeaty. Yeah, I had Vas too, and got a great deal trading him for MacKinnon! I am thrilled with that trade! I also grabbed Yandle off the waiver wire, and dropped Trocheck after being unable to trade him. Sounds like we are managing the same team.

I can wait on this, and I have already used nearly half of my moves for the season. So no harm in waiting, other than the fact that I missed out on Pionk this morning by doing nothing! But I guess there will be other fish in the sea. I am not in a position to stream D's because of limited moves, but I sure as heck am going to try to trade Gio! Maybe his name still count for something.
    Wow - you got MacK for Vas? I got Rask straight up and thought I did well. With limited moves, I probably keep Giordano unless I can trade him for value.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

The Great One

Shooting percentage and IPP are both unsustainably low, like REALLY low. He is poised to have a much, much better second half.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks guys. Rep given
    IR+