Thread: Buying high on Hamilton

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Buying high on Hamilton

20 team H2H NHL salary cap dynasty
    G, A, PTS, PPP, SOG, HITS, BLKS, SHTOI

Sorry for another D. Hamilton thread. Feel unsure of this one:

Keller and my next two 1st round rookie entry level draft picks(won’t be in the lottery) for Hamilton.

I know we expect Hamilton to slow his pace a bit here and Keller seems to be finally(!) breaking out.

The things I’m weighing are:
    1. Obviously Hamilton is the better player in this setting, but Keller has a sweetheart deal for the rest of season allowing more flexibility should other moves come up.
    2. I could continue shopping for a cheaper to acquire D man
    3. Keller will have a rough contract for me to hold next year offering little periphs and me being a maxed out contender it might prove difficult to move under a visible cap crunch. Especially if he doesn’t finish around PPG.
    4. I feel even with some regression Hamilton is a true cornerstone type piece in this league, at a more premium position for the next few seasons at least.

What’s the word here? Keep Keller and enjoy his ascension? Fair Hamilton deal even with the hot start, get it done? Shop longer, he isn’t all that special?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Buying high on Hamilton

I like the idea. There's even a reasonable chance that Hamilton's next contract is about the same as Keller's, but he's much more well rounded.

I think you are giving up a lot, though. If you could get 2 seconds back, I'd do it. Something close to that should be okay.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The next NHL entry draft has about 10-11 players I like... that should be solid NHL-ers.
    Youth is taking over the NHL... recent drafts have seen some really strong player emerge drafted in the teens... even early 20s.
    I really can't advise moving TWO first round draft picks in a 20-team league.
    If you seriously, truly believe Hamilton makes you a top5 team... do it.
    But if you are not a LOCK to be a top5 team this year and next year... don't do it.
    Keller + two 1st is a lot to send for Hamilton.

(And don't forget... Karlsson was Hamilton 5 years ago... Klingberg was Hamilton 3 years ago... people were ga-ga over Thomas Chabot last year... this stuff changes)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I like the idea. There's even a reasonable chance that Hamilton's next contract is about the same as Keller's, but he's much more well rounded.

I think you are giving up a lot, though. If you could get 2 seconds back, I'd do it. Something close to that should be okay.
    I definitely think you are giving up too much. However, if you got high picks back, then maybe. But those two firsts......nope.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks guys! Appreciate it. Does it change much if it becomes Hoglander and a 2nd on top of Keller? Or is it essentially the same?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Well I think it's better than the two 1st rounders. Hoglander was a second rounder 40th overall. He may have been a bit of a steal for the Canucks, this guy has some upside and plays with some grit, an attribute that certainly can't hurt him transitioning to the NHL. Time will tell. So yes theoretically, your first should bring you a player with at least as much or likely more potential than Hoglander. It's still a stiff price to pay, but it's getting a little less painful. If you want Hamilton, then make the offer and hope the other guy accepts.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mikerosen View Post
    Thanks guys! Appreciate it. Does it change much if it becomes Hoglander and a 2nd on top of Keller? Or is it essentially the same?
    That makes it a done deal for me. The 2 firsts are in what should be a stacked draft, and keeping them is great - allows a lot of maneuvering.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.