View Poll Results: Who are the NHL's Steadiest Eddies?

Voters
26. This poll is closed
  • Nicklas Backstrom

17 65.38%
  • Brent Burns

2 7.69%
  • Evgeni Dadonov

2 7.69%
  • Drew Doughty

3 11.54%
  • Aaron Ekblad

1 3.85%
  • Oliver Ekman-Larsson

3 11.54%
  • Mike Hoffman

6 23.08%
  • Ryan Johansen

0 0%
  • Seth Jones

3 11.54%
  • Roman Josi

12 46.15%
  • Chris Kreider

3 11.54%
  • Evgeni Kuznetsov

6 23.08%
  • Sean Monahan

4 15.38%
  • Alex Ovechkin

16 61.54%
  • Joe Pavelski

1 3.85%
  • Rasmus Ristolainen

1 3.85%
  • Mark Scheifele

15 57.69%
  • Tyler Seguin

10 38.46%
  • Ryan Suter

8 30.77%
  • Keith Yandle

14 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: NHL's Steady Eddies

The Magnificent One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: NHL's Steady Eddies

Some of you might see the title for this poll and wonder exactly what a “Steady Eddie” is. The term refers to a player who consistently puts up predictable numbers each season, as opposed to someone whose totals vary considerably from year to year. While there is no hard and fast rule, if you’re expecting a Steady Eddie to score “X” points, he should end up most seasons no more than 10-15% above or below “X.”

Steady Eddies don’t have to be big scorers, although for purposes of this poll all the skaters for whom you can vote are productive enough to be on most everyone’s fantasy radar. Also, Steady Eddies are not Certified Band-Aid Boys, in that perhaps a fluke injury might put them on the sidelines for a chunk of games every few years; but by and large, they miss no more than a handful of games in any given season.

I’ve set up the poll so you can vote for as many or as few of the 20 choices – listed in alphabetical order - as you want. If you prefer, you can wait until the accompanying column publishes on the 18th and read my write-up on each player; however, of course you can feel free to cast your votes without first reading the column. And as for which skaters to vote for, take a look at their stats – not just points, but PPPts and SOG as well – and decide which you feel are ones for whom you can be confident they’ll neither blow away nor fall well below their projections every year. Instead, these should be guys who, if you draft or trade for them, you can pencil them in for roughly certain stats and then just sit back and let it happen.

Please take the time to make a post listing who you voted for and why, as that’s always of interest to everyone.

One scheduling note – my normal mailbag column will be delayed for a week (possibly two) because on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day there will be several “top ten of the decade” fantasy lists, so be sure to check those out (mine – Top Ten Fantasy Defensemen of the Decade – publishes on Christmas Day).
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: NHL's Steady Eddies

My votes

Backstrom. He will be on everyone's list haha.

Hoffman. A ton of shots and just below a point per game. He is just below that elite tier but I find he falls in drafts because he doesn't have the sexy name. That's why I get him in most pools.

Kreider. Points in 50-65% of games played. Games played between 50 and 68. He is valuable when he plays.

Ovechkin will be on this list forever.

Scheifele = point per game.

Yandle - puts up elite points and PP points but is not drafted like an elite Dman.

Dobber Sports Stud

I see Yandle as #1 on your list. Backstrom and certainly Ovechkin are bigger fantasy assets, and consistently so, but Yandle (a) iron-man, where Backstrom is only steady Eddie when he’s not out, and Ovi scores in spurts.

Josi next on my list.

A big number of your suggestions here have proven themselves OFF the list this year - Burns, Pavelski, RyJo, Monahan... sure, they may catch up and redeem themselves, but isn’t that the opposite of “steady?”
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Superstar

Pencil in Ovi for 45 goals a year and Suter for 45 points. Backstrom steady ppg.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

It sort of matters as to whether you’re discussing a Roto league for the year, or H2H. Sure, points for the year... but then Malkin would be on your list. He’ll get 70+ on a bad year, but in H2H leagues, if he’s sitting out half of March? Band-Aid Boy or not, in an annual league I’d want him and accept his 65-70 games played, with his career average of 1.13 ppg. McDavid - even more so.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

The Great One

No band aid boys on the list. They aren’t steady eddies by his definition. It doesn’t get much more band aid boy then Malkin.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    A big number of your suggestions here have proven themselves OFF the list this year - Burns, Pavelski, RyJo, Monahan... sure, they may catch up and redeem themselves, but isn’t that the opposite of “steady?”
    Actually, Monahan is right at his usual pace....if you exclude last season. Burns, Pavelski, Risto and RyJo are trending lower; however, I included them based on past results and to perhaps indicate that they might be in line for better results over the rest of the season, unless of course their days of being steady eddies are over, which is possible.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    No band aid boys on the list. They aren’t steady eddies by his definition. It doesn’t get much more band aid boy then Malkin.
    Yup - as I noted, I disqualified band-aid boys because to be a steady eddie you should be someone poolies can count on not missing chunks of time on a regular basis.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Great list except for Ovechkin. Why put an enormous superstar on the list? Of course he's steady, but so is McDavid, Kane and MacKinnon. This list should be for players outside the top 10.

Of all names listed, Pavelski has been steady for the last 100 years or so.

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by Moritat View Post
    Great list except for Ovechkin. Why put an enormous superstar on the list? Of course he's steady, but so is McDavid, Kane and MacKinnon. This list should be for players outside the top 10.

Of all names listed, Pavelski has been steady for the last 100 years or so.
    I guess I interpret "steady" different than you. To me, it means similar scoring. McDavid's rate has increased each year, and Kane's last four seasons have been 106, 89, 76, 110, which is hardly what I'd call steady. So I guess what I'm saying is "steady" isn't supposed to mean "always good", but rather a pretty consistent scoring rate.