Thread: Francouz vs. Raanta

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Francouz vs. Raanta

I just picked up Francouz as my third goalie. With Freddie and Kuemper I probably won't need many starts from him, but he seemed to be a good option on the FA list. I am pretty sure I could swap him to the Grubauer owner, who owns Raanta. That would give us both a nice handcuff. But would you rather own Francouz, who's arguably on a better team, or Raanta, who will probably get more starts? Since I don't need a bunch of starts from either of them, I'm not sure which I'd rather have. And I'd like to know if you guys think I'd be handing that owner an advantage.

Thanks!
    C: Kopitar, Jarvis (RW), Thomas
    RW: Wilson, Bratt (LW), Zuccarello, Svechnikov (LW)
    LW: B. Tkachuk, E.Kane, Boldy (RW)
    D: Matheson, Rielly, Dahlin, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Kochetkov
    IR+

10 Team H2H, one year, G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, HIT, W, SVP, GAA, SV
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2Util, 2G

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Francouz vs. Raanta

I think Raanta with Kuemper as the handcuff is the better option myself. Francouz has had a bump in games played recently with Grubauer injured, but I think starting about tonight, Grubs will play 3 out of every 4 games going forward leaving Francouz 1 in 4. Raanta is the better goalie imo and will likely see closer to 1 in 3 starts. Meh. Bit of a guessing game with back ups. Intangibles like fatigue, injuries, personal issues, etc., play a large part in starts so you have to take projections with a grain of salt, but I would prefer Raanta by a smidge of the two in your situation. Arizona plays much more defensive minded hockey that Colorado as well and should give Raanta better numbers overall.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Stud

That's a great perspective. thanks! Rep given.
    IR+

Dobber Sports Initiate

Francouz gets another start tonight and Gru has been ready to go since Wed....

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    I think Raanta with Kuemper as the handcuff is the better option myself. Francouz has had a bump in games played recently with Grubauer injured, but I think starting about tonight, Grubs will play 3 out of every 4 games going forward leaving Francouz 1 in 4. Raanta is the better goalie imo and will likely see closer to 1 in 3 starts. Meh. Bit of a guessing game with back ups. Intangibles like fatigue, injuries, personal issues, etc., play a large part in starts so you have to take projections with a grain of salt, but I would prefer Raanta by a smidge of the two in your situation. Arizona plays much more defensive minded hockey that Colorado as well and should give Raanta better numbers overall.
    I think Francouz has earned himself some more starts than 1 in 4.

Either way, I like Colorado more as a team than Arizona. Raanta is a better, more proven goalie than Francouz .

I think Raanta gets more starts than Francouz (not as many more as Wonko, but more)
    I think Raanta is a better goalie than Francouz, but I think Francouz has a better team in front of him. It is easier to play with the lead, than to plat from behind.

I think Francouz ends up with better GA% and SV%, but fewer wins and fewer saves.

I probably offer up the trade for Raanta just to see if he takes it. There is a lot of value in a handcuff plus he has the uncertainty of Francouz stealing starts so I expect he grabs the offer.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    Francouz gets another start tonight and Gru has been ready to go since Wed....
    Really? Took a flyer last night that would happen. When Larkin was on the day to day list, I threw him on IR+ and grabbed Francouz from the wire. Larkin was there for all of 10 minutes so feel like I am cheating.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports All-Star

Well, like I said, goalie starts are a bit of a guessing game. Colorado seems to be nervous about Grubauer re-injuring himself. Maybe Francouz will earn a few more starts than 1/4, but I still think I would take Raanta in jimc21's position.

I think the real question with Francouz starting again is the exact nature of Grubauer's injury. Seems a bit odd that Grubs claims he feels fine for last two games and yet Francouz gets the nod.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Initiate

Well, like I said, goalie starts are a bit of a guessing game. Colorado seems to be nervous about Grubauer re-injuring himself. Maybe Francouz will earn a few more starts than 1/4, but I still think I would take Raanta in jimc21's position.

I think the real question with Francouz starting again is the exact nature of Grubauer's injury. Seems a bit odd that Grubs claims he feels fine for last two games and yet Francouz gets the nod.
    Interesting - never thought Grub may still be injured or that Colorado might be concerned about it. Just figured that Francouz had been playing well (won 7/10) and was being given a little more playing time as a result.

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Expert

It was a pulled hamstring from what I gathered and with a weekend off and big week coming up I understand why they would side with caution and give Grubauer a few days extra rest considering Francouz is playing well.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by anthonybeaty View Post
    Interesting - never thought Grub may still be injured or that Colorado might be concerned about it. Just figured that Francouz had been playing well (won 7/10) and was being given a little more playing time as a result.
    Maybe. But Francouz did not have a quality start two games ago (let in 5) and they still did not go back to Grubauer. I would think the only reason is that Colorado want to rest Grubauer as much as possible and feel that Francouz is a good enough stop gap to give him the extra time.

Again. All speculation. Perhaps Francouz could start eating heavily into Grubauer's starts. Anything is possible. I don't think that is the way it will go but who knows? All we have is our opinion based on what facts we have.

At the end of the day I have very little skin in the game. Just making my usual observations. Hehe.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Stud

I actually put together an offer - My Backstrom, Giordano and Francouz for his Schiefele, McAvoy and Raanta. But after watching Francouz only give up a late goal that went in off a defenseman, I canceled the trade. This guy could be for real. COL certainly is. So I might just hope that the owner got tempted by my offer and comes back at a lower price. In the meantime, I'm happy having Francouz on my team.
    IR+

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

NJD aren't a particularly good team right now but with the exception of that fluke goal that deflected off a defender, Francouz had a shutout. He looked composed and tracked every puck and made many impressive saves. At one point in the 3rd period the Avs gave away the puck in their zone and gave up what I thought was about to be a goal but Francouz bailed them out again.

If this continues we have another tandem.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Yeah - I'm trying to trade Francouz too. I offered him + Benn for Seguin. I have too many goalies and don't want to just drop Francouz.

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko