Thread: Time to give up on Jamie Benn?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Time to give up on Jamie Benn?

I have waited and waited and waited all to no avail. He is still way behind his expected production levels. There are lots of guys on the FA/WW list that have more points and more general production, but none that have the upside. Is Benn done this year or do I keep waiting?
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Time to give up on Jamie Benn?

He has certainly declined... but I'm not sure I'd drop him.
    He is a career 14% shooter... and his 78sog (pretty solid!) have only gotten him 6g (7.7sh%)... which is just unlucky.
    I think he's a hold in leagues rostering 100+ skaters (12x9F or more).

Dobber Sports Deity

It will be interesting to see what Bowness can get out of his horses like Benn. I think I'd hold off a little longer to see if a coaching change brings any production change or not.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Benn is having a rough go right now but I think his past seasons mostly speak for themselves. If you NEED to make a move, maybe there are better options but if you can wait, hold off.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    Benn is having a rough go right now but I think his past seasons mostly speak for themselves. If you NEED to make a move, maybe there are better options but if you can wait, hold off.
    I have lost 3 weeks in a row by narrow margins (6-5, 6-5, 6-4) and am still in 1st, but barely. I could certainly use more production, but like I said in the OP, there is no one available with Benn's upside.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    He has certainly declined... but I'm not sure I'd drop him.
    He is a career 14% shooter... and his 78sog (pretty solid!) have only gotten him 6g (7.7sh%)... which is just unlucky.
    I think he's a hold in leagues rostering 100+ skaters (12x9F or more).
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It will be interesting to see what Bowness can get out of his horses like Benn. I think I'd hold off a little longer to see if a coaching change brings any production change or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post

Thanks.

How do you guys know that it's time to jump ship?
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports All-Star

I think Benn has some decent production left in the tank. I would hold, and in fact I am holding in my other league

As to you question of when is the right time to let a player go, I don't think anybody can give you a solid answer for that. Generally it has been my experience that most high end vets have more left in the tank than people think. Not always of course, but more often than not especially if they are still being given the opportunity and ice time.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Monster

Since your team is still rolling I would give Benn more time. If there is someone clearly better than him then I guess do it, but I'd have a tough time dropping him. His downside is still pretty good; his upside is still pretty good too.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Sophomore

What are your other options on the waiver. If there are better options on the wire that have the potential to keep producing then I'd suggest that. In one year league its whoever is going to give you the best production for the season. Its possible that Benn turns it around, then again it's possible that he doesn't and you are left wasting potential. Maybe you can get someone to buy in to his potential, and name value to improve your team.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    What are your other options on the waiver. If there are better options on the wire that have the potential to keep producing then I'd suggest that. In one year league its whoever is going to give you the best production for the season. Its possible that Benn turns it around, then again it's possible that he doesn't and you are left wasting potential. Maybe you can get someone to buy in to his potential, and name value to improve your team.
    Exactly
    12 team H2H - Points
    Cats G (1.25) A (1) GWG (1) SHG (.75) PPP (.25) PIM (.15) SOG (.20) BLK/HITS (.20) FW/FL (+/- .10)
    GOALIES W (2) GA (-.25) SV (.10) SO (3)

FORWARDS (START 6 DAILY CHANGES)

MCDAVID
    PASTRNAK
    PETTERSSON
    SVECHNIKOV
    B TKACHUK
    V NICHUSHKIN
    ERIKKSON EK
    O TIPPET
    T MEIER
    LARKIN (IR)

DEFENSE (START 3)

DAHLIN
    JOSI
    DOBSON

GOALIES (START 2)

VASILEVSKIY
    SAROS
    SOROKIN
    SHESTERKIN

Dobber Sports Initiate

Well I just traded Benn. I picked up Francouz yesterday and offered Benn + Francouz to the Grub owner for Seguin. He accepted.

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by anthonybeaty View Post
    Well I just traded Benn. I picked up Francouz yesterday and offered Benn + Francouz to the Grub owner for Seguin. He accepted.
    Grand larceny.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Initiate

Do it now before it gets worse. I traded Benn away for Brady Tkachuk straight up a month ago and have never looked back.