Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Malkin Owners

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Malkin Owners

Team in sig
    Do you try to sell high on Malkin now, considering his injury proneness and Crosby coming back eventually, or just sit back?
    13 team Yahoo One Year/Points Only
    No Drops left. No Bench. No IR
    1 pt: g/a/ +1 gwg
    2 pts: w, +3 pts: shutout
    F: Pastrnak, Giroux, Trocheck, Meier, Marchand, Scheifele, Kadri, DeBrincat,
    D: Krug, J.Schultz, DeAngelo, Brodie
    G: Vasilevsky, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Malkin Owners

I've read a couple of articles on this in the past few days. Most say that if you CAN sell high, you should probably take the opportunity. He's injury prone, tends to be out during the fantasy playoffs, and likely doesn't keep up this level of production when Crosby gets back (although he will still be elite as long as he's healthy). HOWEVER, most fantasy owners are wary of his health, and therefore the likelihood of you getting a return commensurate with his level of play is not particularly high. At least one article suggested trying to package him for Bergeron. I have him in my secondary league, and I'm seeing if I can parlay him into something useful. My guess is it's not going to work.
    Yahoo 10 team H2H league (1 year)
    Positions: 2C, 4W, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 4BN
    Forward Categories: G, A, P,+/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW
    Goalie Categories: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: A. Matthews, A. Kopitar, V. Trochek
    W: P. Kane, B. Tkachuk, J. Guentzel, E. Kane, T. Hall, T. Hertl, T. Teravainen
    D: D. Hamilton, V. Hedman, A. Pietrangelo, Mike Reilly
    G: S. Varlamov, R. Lehner, P. Grubauer
    IR: J. Eichel

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm in a cumulative points only so I don't need to worry about fantasy playoffs. He killed me at the beginning of the season missing 11 games, and I can't afford to have that happen again, and you're right most owners will be wary of that.
    What about packaging him for Matthews? Are they close in value right now given how Malkin is playing?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If you're talking just the quality of play right now, yes, Malkin is actually outplaying Matthews by a significant margin. However good luck convincing the Matthews owner to do this.
    Yahoo 10 team H2H league (1 year)
    Positions: 2C, 4W, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 4BN
    Forward Categories: G, A, P,+/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW
    Goalie Categories: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: A. Matthews, A. Kopitar, V. Trochek
    W: P. Kane, B. Tkachuk, J. Guentzel, E. Kane, T. Hall, T. Hertl, T. Teravainen
    D: D. Hamilton, V. Hedman, A. Pietrangelo, Mike Reilly
    G: S. Varlamov, R. Lehner, P. Grubauer
    IR: J. Eichel

Dobber Sports Stud

This whole question is dependent upon where you feel you’ll be in your league, whether it’s a keeper league or not. If you have a shot a WINNING, then you surely don’t trade Gino for some lesser talent. IF (ok, I understand the “if”) he’s healthy, you have a better chance to win. Malkin’s an elite player and can be a massive (++) in multiple categories. If you’re in bottom half of a keeper league, to trade NOW for a younger, but lesser star - Kakko, that idea - could help you for the future. But the other option would be to wait until the All-Star break, and see what the GM in your top 3 might package along with a first-round 2020 pick.

I currently lead 3 leagues - I’d trade that 1st rounder today, taking the gamble.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    This whole question is dependent upon where you feel you’ll be in your league, whether it’s a keeper league or not. If you have a shot a WINNING, then you surely don’t trade Gino for some lesser talent. IF (ok, I understand the “if”) he’s healthy, you have a better chance to win. Malkin’s an elite player and can be a massive (++) in multiple categories. If you’re in bottom half of a keeper league, to trade NOW for a younger, but lesser star - Kakko, that idea - could help you for the future. But the other option would be to wait until the All-Star break, and see what the GM in your top 3 might package along with a first-round 2020 pick.

I currently lead 3 leagues - I’d trade that 1st rounder today, taking the gamble.
    Thanks for the input. I'm not in a keeper, just cumu. points. No H2H. Just points, no other cats. I am way behind the leader, if I'm being realistic, probably no shot at catching 1st. But I don't want to give up just yet. I want to maximize the asset. Just wondering if it's overthinking it/getting cute trying to trade Malkin now because I'm worried about his production going down from injury or Sid returning and taking over with Guentzel.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Araziza View Post
    If you're talking just the quality of play right now, yes, Malkin is actually outplaying Matthews by a significant margin. However good luck convincing the Matthews owner to do this.
    Totally, he wouldn't do it I'm sure. Any thoughts on comparable players outside the band-aid stars like Bergeron, that would be a prudent trade?

Dobber Sports Deity

Even when Sid is playing, Malkin is still one of the better fantasy assets out there.

The problem with Geno comes down to one number; his age. Most fantasy GMs will look at that one number and automatically reduce his value based on that. It's a sad fact.

I say try and sell high while you can, but as mentioned earlier, if you are in the running, I dont think you will get back enough to make it worth your while and still keep you in the hunt with a lesser quality player.

Who knows? Every league is different and far be it from me to say how other GMs in your league will value him. There's only one way to find out and that is to shop him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Araziza View Post
    Even in a non-keeper, cumulative points only?

Dobber Sports Titan

You're going to need to aim for someone in the same age bracket, be it a Backstrom, Wheeler, Crosby, etc. Anyone younger than 29 just doesn't have the same risk factor attached to them to want to take on Malkin's baggage (despite his excellent production).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the input. I think the consensus is it's not worth trading him in a one year.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    You're going to need to aim for someone in the same age bracket, be it a Backstrom, Wheeler, Crosby, etc. Anyone younger than 29 just doesn't have the same risk factor attached to them to want to take on Malkin's baggage (despite his excellent production).
    What about Malkin+Keller for Bergeron+Backstrom. Am I asking too much, or is this a bad trade for me?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
    What about Malkin+Keller for Bergeron+Backstrom. Am I asking too much, or is this a bad trade for me?
    I think you're asking for too much, but it doesn't mean the Bergeron owner isn't more worried about Bergeron than Malkin. You could ask him if he would entertain something along those lines.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I think you're asking for too much, but it doesn't mean the Bergeron owner isn't more worried about Bergeron than Malkin. You could ask him if he would entertain something along those lines.
    Might be asking for too much but if he can't pull off this type of trade then there is almost no reason to trade Malkin - which I believe is what this thread has addressed

Dobber Sports Giant

some players will never get you a return worth taking. Malkin Is one of these guys. if your in a rebuild mode you will have to take a loss in a trade that still improves your team. value for value though in my experience won't happen with him.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO