Thread: Need advice on the future of my team [rep]

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Need advice on the future of my team [rep]

Hey guys!

First let me thank all the of you who take the time to reply to my inquiries on the forum, you guys have been really helpful so far.

I am in a bit of a funk for my team for second league in sig. My team has been underwhelming right now with a 5-5 record, 7th in the league (last year, ended in 8th position). I like a lot of the pieces I've acquired since entering the league but I am starting to be lost as to the direction I need to take with my team to win the title. Plus there is tentation to try and get in 9th-12th position since I would compete for the 1st OA lottery while the top 8 battles for the playoffs.

My keepers are in bold and as you can see, a lot of young players are on the bubble, plus I can't just acquire prospects as a reassurance because I am choke full of them hahaha

My questions are:

1- What's my goalie situation right now? Rask is at the top of his game but older, I should keep him if I can contend next year I think, Markstrom should be the starter somewhere (worst case is a plateau with Demko) but you never know, Jarry is hot but uncertain, Shesterkin could be a future star.... Help

2- In relation to #1: which prospects should I keep / trade between Necas Kaprizov Caufield Demko Shesterkin.... Lots of talent and too little room for all of them.

3- Finally, who are my keepers beside the obvious choices? Right now on the bubble I see Meier Ehlers Miller Dumba Hronek. Since they're all in some slump (except for Miller), their trade value is really down so even in a 2v1 scenario I would be trading pennies on the dollar.

Your answers will definitely help me a lot! I'll rep where I can. Thanks!
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Need advice on the future of my team [rep]

Do you think your team is slumping and you should be up in the top 5, or are you actually a current 6-9 team?
    Even with your large benches, I think hoarding prospects is a fools errand. Maximize your skater games with some off-night scheduling, and you can win a lot of matchups based on man games alone. Maybe try adding Shestyorkin or Caufield to someone like Dumba for an upgrade.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

As for goalies, I think running Rask, Jarry, and Markstrom for now should be just fine. Demko is probably tradeable, or just keep him as Markstrom insurance. No reason to shake that up much at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also keep Jarry over Ehlers.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Good advice here.

How do the "3 rookie spots" work?
    Can they be rookies this year... or do they have to qualify for rookie-status NEXT year?
    That factors in, we all need to understand it better.

EskimoBro and I do a 12-team H2H keep11 together.
    Guys like Kaprizov, Caufield... just not keepers in a Keep 132 league.

Your team looks quality enough to compete, especially with Kucherov, Josi, Rask. Those are top 5 players at their position.
    Dumba has struggled, that's just bad luck.
    Krug was injured, bad luck.
    Kucherov slow start, bad luck.

Personally, if your bench positions can be shifted into starting positions and this is dailyH2H... THAT... is where you are losing - just not rostering enough starts & points.
    Ditch Necas, Kaprizov, Caufield, AND Shesterkin (who won't be NYR G1 until 2021-2022).

Your team is probably 7-3 with better luck & quality players.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the input so far!
    Lineups are set weekly on Mondays, which is why offnight scheduling is not really a factor in my league.
    As for the prospect eligibility, any player who has less than 82 NHL games under their belt is qualified, thus Gusev is technically a "prospect" at the end of the year. So Necas admittedly loses value since he is set on going over the threshold towards the end of the season. For goalies, the threshold is 42 games, in the case of Demko this means that playing another 20 games would require me to use a keeper spot for him.

I also agree that I ran into some bad luck. At season start I had the expectation of being in the top 5 teams in the league, it just kinda sucks to remain a "middle-of-the-pack" for a few years. At least I find some comfort in the comments so far that I don't need to go younger to eventually perform better in the league. I'm surprised though that Jarry seems to hold more value than Demko, maybe I need to re-assess my goalie situation then
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Anyone else would like to chime in? I appreciate all inputs