Thread: Activating goalies who aren't starting

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Activating goalies who aren't starting

Does anyone else put goalies that confirmed as not starting in their active roster on light schedule nights?

I've got a roster (not the one in sig) that is comprised of mostly backup goalies, so I often have less than 2 confirmed starters, sometimes zero, like tonight and tomorrow. The league requires a minimum number of starts, not games played, so this doesn't help with that, but I'm often just trying to snag a random win along the way, or hope for a good performance in relief, when my ratios are already not competitive, either due to them being bad, or my opponent having really good ratios.

Am I crazy?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Activating goalies who aren't starting

I dont think Ive ever picked up a goalie for that purpose, but thats because I have weekly move limits. If I was really desperate I could see myself doing that - if there was no other way to win than through some goalie category luck I might do it. I always put my guys in the lineup even if theyre not starting if you just mean that - I find relief goalies tend to do pretty well although that's just from my experience.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Administrator

Generally I feel goalies in relief are thrown to the wolves so their output won't be very good in a game that is already a trainwreck. I could be wrong though, because I don't have any proof. But overall just do whatever it takes to win. If that somehow helps you then go for it!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I dont think Ive ever picked up a goalie for that purpose, but thats because I have weekly move limits. If I was really desperate I could see myself doing that - if there was no other way to win than through some goalie category luck I might do it. I always put my guys in the lineup even if they're not starting if you just mean that - I find relief goalies tend to do pretty well although that's just from my experience.
    Yes, that's what I meant. In the league in question the goalies are on my bench. The only guy to get into a NHL game who started the season on the wire was Adam Werner, and he's obviously now rostered.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I recall reading an analysis of this a few years ago, I think on Left Wing Lock, that found that relief goalies are more likely to perform poorly. I make a point of benching my guys if they're not starting.

Dobber Sports Expert

Hellebuyck played about 70 seconds yesterday while Brossoit had his equipment fixed. 1 goal allowed on 2 shots, 52.17 GAA. Wishing I had kept him on the bench in one league.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Generally I feel goalies in relief are thrown to the wolves so their output won't be very good in a game that is already a trainwreck. I could be wrong though, because I don't have any proof. But overall just do whatever it takes to win. If that somehow helps you then go for it!
    This 100%

If I have 2 goalies on the same team, I always put the one who isn't starting on the bench. I have found that if the starter gets shelled, the backup is much more likely to have terrible numbers.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Demi-God

H2H - yes, put active guys in roster spots. There's not going to be any correlation from the starter's stats to a backup stats. The sample size people "watch" will be small and people will have different experience of memory.
    Roto (maxGP) - absolutely not. Any goalie "GP" counted with only a few SV (whether injury, or back-up) costs you chance to win SV category. I've been burned by simply not pulling a guy from my roster and getting like 1sv, 1ga (like Helle last night) because I left a back-up in and he got a minute or two for something like equipment issue.

Dobber Sports Master

not crazy at all , especially when the pickings are slim to get your minimum starts.