Thread: Best fantasy team names

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Best fantasy team names

If one of the moderators wants to take this post down as being unrelated and too trivial, I have no issue with that. But every year there seems to be a post about the best fantasy team names. Here are a few from our league. Most of the clever ones are from the Capitals.

Tyutin in the Staal
    Coke in my Kuzy
    Oshie Can You See
    Eller High Water
    Free Willy (from last year when Wilson was suspended)
    Kick in the Reirden
    Holtby in Your Arms

At some point I'll probably change mine to "I Vrana Be Sedated."
    C: Kopitar, Jarvis (RW), Thomas
    RW: Wilson, Bratt (LW), Zuccarello, Svechnikov (LW)
    LW: B. Tkachuk, E.Kane, Boldy (RW)
    D: Matheson, Rielly, Dahlin, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Kochetkov
    IR+

10 Team H2H, one year, G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, HIT, W, SVP, GAA, SV
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2Util, 2G

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Best fantasy team names

The favorite name in my league this year is : “Jenner Reveal Party”. Makes me chuckle.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I love fantasy team names.
    I'm a believer that the fantasy sports gods will reward a team that spends a bit of time being clever about their team names.

I'm at 4 fantasy hockey leagues and 1 fantasy football league.
    Three of those teams have slightly clever names.

My 2019 names:
    DeShaunShineBand (fantasy football) - drafted DeShaun Watson. This is a play on KC & the Sunshine Band... but Yahoo! only allows 20 characters. Doing well, finished 2nd/14 in regular season.
    Quid Pro Quo Patrice (fantasy hockey). This is the "spooky" Rocky Horror Roto Show themed league, 4th currently. Unf, about half league just resurrects (pun intended) name from previous year. I drafted Bergeron, went Silence-of-the-Lambs epic liner.
    P.tkachughes! (fantasy hockey). My PQMC H2H keeper league, 1st currently. This is my fave current name. Pikachu is my avatar. I own both Tkachuk brothers (the "tkachoo" and drafted Jack Hughes, so the "hughes!". The P is from Pengwin7)

My top ten favourites of all time, all of these are fairly originally mine (or, at least, I had never read the name elsewhere - though surely somebody has come up with similar on their own, some cases):
    #1: Captain Cangiroux. Take on the ol' Captain Kangaroo show. Claude is my fave player, a can-do captain. Perfect.
    #2: Eberle Hillbillies. Everybody did Eberle Hills 90210, which is old/sad. A hillbilly is funny. Another older show.
    #3: Supa Puppas. I used this back in 2010. I mean, Darren Puppa! Super Troopers! Gold, jerry, gold.

^I mean... Puppa looks like he should've been one of the Troopers, oui?

#4: Kingdom of AaronDell. If you have young daughters, you get this. So did Aaron Dell, he painted a mask with it a couple years ago.
    #5: Evgeni Dreadful. A RHRS team. Some names just flow perfectly, using Malkin's funky mug for an avatar made it perfect.
    #6: AnzemarkSethGaudreau. Owned all three... my team never "took off". Clever name, but it doesn't flow so great and avatar is tough for triple name.
    #7: Benn in Voracekup? Owned both, clever - but some names just ring better. Ditto for ASG, above.
    #8: Space Evanders. A winning team. But this is a little "too simple". I had a great side-profile of Evander with a shaved symbol in his head... this brought it a bit more together.
    #9: Nightmarians. Another RHRS - owned Hossa. This one was too simple, but had good flow.
    #10: Sweet Home Almontoya (he was out of NHL by then)

Others: Kings Landing (owned 3+ LA players), Fleetwood Mac-Kinnon (too simple), Ice Krejci Treats (too many people have no idea how to pronounce "Krejci" and say "I don't get it..."), Zidlicky My Balls (this was back when Zoolander was out), Rolling Stoners (remember Clayton Stoner, this one was a little too basic), Bjoogeymen (RHRS league with Bjugstad), Wheelers Steel (owned Blake, too simple), Ghosties Be Here (too simple), Fowlers in the Attic (RHRS - problem here was Fowler stunk and I had to drop him), Junky Blue Saab (owned Ovechkin and had just read "A man called Ove"... but I think maybe 1% of hockey population has read that book), Monster Manthas (Monster Mash... meh).

My past fantasy football names: Fournecaters (2018 w/Fournette), Graham Quackers (2017 w/Jimmy), Toddfather Pt II (2016 w/Gurley for 2nd straight season), Odell-Ay-He-Hoo (2015 w/Beckham), Orange Julius (2014 w/J.Thomas), Marsh of da Pengwins (2013 w/Lynch - prob.my.fave FF name), Discount Doublechek (2012 w/Rodgers), Bush Party (2011 w/Reggie & Michael)

My general rules:
    1. It shouldn't be regurgitated name from something 100+ other fantasy teams have used. Tyutin in the Staal, Don't Toews Me Bro... shit like that is overdone, old, and not original.
    2. It shouldn't be lame. Motherpuckers, for example... is just awful. I probably wouldn't trade with that GM just for being unoriginal and boring.

[People don't know it... but I grade every fantasy team name on a scale of 1/10. Service available on request.]

The Wolverine

^Peng, I'm obviously seen a few and I love the effort!

As for me (also commish of the RHRS), I make sure that I challenge myself when creating my own team names. I always try, where possible, to combine a player and a horror film. Some of my favourites include:

The Devil's MacKbone (this year Dobber Expert)
    Blakes on a Plane (this year RHRS)
    Han's Labyrinth
    Hanzal and Getzel
    TaranormalVlactivity
    Cannibal Staalocaust
    The Devan Rides Out
    Poltergreiss
    Ichi the Hiller
    ZombieFleischHeaters
    I Smid On Your Grave
    Quatermoss & the Sid
    Nosferatootoo

[People don't know it... but I grade every fantasy team name on a scale of 1/10. Service available on request.]
    Yes please!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Ha... I'll rank 5.

10/10: Hanzal and Getzel** (I love this one sooo much. I mean, esp both being centers, names appearing early on roster list. BIG dudes, but imagining them in place of kids in a forest exploring into Candy Witch's house... epic.)
    I mean... all year long I kept imagining a full-grown Hanzal and Getzlaf ending up in a witch's house, looking at each other like "What have we gotten ourselves into, Martin?". It made me laugh... all year.

7/10: Poltergreiss
    6/10: Cannibal Staalocaust
    4/10: Blakes on a Plane (probably a 2/10 if you only had one... bump it to 4 since you own Coleman and Wheeler. SoaP... meh.)
    3/10: The Devan Rides Out (too simple, but at least there's some effort.)
    ... (you don't have any 2s or 1s, ever.)

Your names are always among the betters in RHRS.
    I look forward to them!!!
    ps. **When one can Google Search a name like "Hanzal and Getzel" and the first thread is from the Dobber forums... you've done it well!!! (**captain cangiroux)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    ^Ha... I'll rank 5.

10/10: Hanzal and Getzel** (I love this one sooo much. I mean, esp both being centers, names appearing early on roster list. BIG dudes, but imagining them in place of kids in a forest exploring into Candy Witch's house... epic.)
    I mean... all year long I kept imagining a full-grown Hanzal and Getzlaf ending up in a witch's house, looking at each other like "What have we gotten ourselves into, Martin?". It made me laugh... all year.

7/10: Poltergreiss
    6/10: Cannibal Staalocaust
    4/10: Blakes on a Plane (probably a 2/10 if you only had one... bump it to 4 since you own Coleman and Wheeler. SoaP... meh.)
    3/10: The Devan Rides Out (too simple, but at least there's some effort.)
    ... (you don't have any 2s or 1s, ever.)

Your names are always among the betters in RHRS.
    I look forward to them!!!
    ps. **When one can Google Search a name like "Hanzal and Getzel" and the first thread is from the Dobber forums... you've done it well!!! (**captain cangiroux)
    Thanks, man.

Yeah Hanzal and Getzel is my favourite as well. And I remember coming up with during the draft, which got a pretty positive reaction.

So I'll stick with 2/10 for this year's as I chose when I didn't have Coleman. It was difficult to choose this year.