NA:

Administrator

Default Re: Russia banned from 2022 olympics

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Team white competing in the ice hockey sport?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Isn't like they can participate under the Olympic flag if they prove they've been clean and have no history of failed tests?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

I hope Pengwin7 chimes in here, I know he thought Ovi would retire to play in the Olympics.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports All-Star

They just don't learn. lol

Administrator

This is such a complicated and weird issue.

1. Make sure you watch the documentary Icarus on Netflix which demonstrates the process Russia used for their state sponsored doping program during the Sochi Olympics. It's just really well done and interesting regardless of how you feel on the issue.

2. I'm not even sure I am anti-doping. Such a grey area. Like, a guy can get a dead person's tendon put into his leg to replace his own torn tendon, but he can't also use hormones curated from beets or however that shit works to assist in regenerating the atrophied muscle around that tendon? If we had the steroid Olympics, and the non-steroid Olympics, we'd all surely watch the steroid Olympics. So from pure majesty of pushing human performance, steroids are the way to go. As far as fair play, there will never be fair play. Like protein powder or creatine supplements are okay, but other stuff isn't? Where is that line? And yeah, some people shouldn't have to take stuff in order to compete because they may not want to for safety reasons, or may not be able to financially. But there are still huge discrepancies between financial and other support depending on where you are from, your family, etc. And ultimately, sports just aren't fair. I can't make myself as fast as the slowest dude in the Olympics no matter what I do or how hard I train. There will always be genetic differences/imbalances/outliers. And genetics is going to become a whole new can of worms once we figure out how to use CRISPR cas9 effectively.

3. If you are anti-doping, this is nice, but WADA was threatening to ban Russia outright should they fail to comply, and get on board with their standards. Russia refused, but are still only hit with this temporary ban. So hard liners won't be happy, especially since this is available for appeal, and the athletes from this country can still participate, just not under the Russian flag/federation.

4. This doesn't even get into all the global politics of this decision, which I can't even begin to comprehend.

5. Who knows if the NHL is even going to get it's shit together with the IIHF and the IOC to participate in the Beijing Olympics in 2022, but if they do, it really sucks for the guys from Russia that they probably won't be able to participate under their national flag.

6. Does anyone know if WADA is involved with the NHL and how this might impact any World Cup participation? I know that the Russian team is banned from the upcoming World Cup, although they can still qualify and play without a flag.

I don't even know what to do with this information, but feel shitty for guys like Ovechkin.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Immortal

Good riddance.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    This is such a complicated and weird issue.

1. Make sure you watch the documentary Icarus on Netflix which demonstrates the process Russia used for their state sponsored doping program during the Sochi Olympics. It's just really well done and interesting regardless of how you feel on the issue.

2. I'm not even sure I am anti-doping. Such a grey area. Like, a guy can get a dead person's tendon put into his leg to replace his own torn tendon, but he can't also use hormones curated from beets or however that shit works to assist in regenerating the atrophied muscle around that tendon? If we had the steroid Olympics, and the non-steroid Olympics, we'd all surely watch the steroid Olympics. So from pure majesty of pushing human performance, steroids are the way to go. As far as fair play, there will never be fair play. Like protein powder or creatine supplements are okay, but other stuff isn't? Where is that line? And yeah, some people shouldn't have to take stuff in order to compete because they may not want to for safety reasons, or may not be able to financially. But there are still huge discrepancies between financial and other support depending on where you are from, your family, etc. And ultimately, sports just aren't fair. I can't make myself as fast as the slowest dude in the Olympics no matter what I do or how hard I train. There will always be genetic differences/imbalances/outliers. And genetics is going to become a whole new can of worms once we figure out how to use CRISPR cas9 effectively.

3. If you are anti-doping, this is nice, but WADA was threatening to ban Russia outright should they fail to comply, and get on board with their standards. Russia refused, but are still only hit with this temporary ban. So hard liners won't be happy, especially since this is available for appeal, and the athletes from this country can still participate, just not under the Russian flag/federation.

4. This doesn't even get into all the global politics of this decision, which I can't even begin to comprehend.

5. Who knows if the NHL is even going to get it's shit together with the IIHF and the IOC to participate in the Beijing Olympics in 2022, but if they do, it really sucks for the guys from Russia that they probably won't be able to participate under their national flag.

6. Does anyone know if WADA is involved with the NHL and how this might impact any World Cup participation? I know that the Russian team is banned from the upcoming World Cup, although they can still qualify and play without a flag.

I don't even know what to do with this information, but feel shitty for guys like Ovechkin.
    Excellent (and distrubing) documentary!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."