Thread: Crosby - When to trade

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Crosby - When to trade

When is the right time and what conditions amount to selling a player like Crosby in a limited keeper salary cap league!?

With roster and league in my sig would you attempt this and if so what would you expect in return? Am going for first this year with a decently comfortable lead... so next year and forward even more important.

My keepers for now would be McDavid, Eichel, Crosby, Pastrnak, Huberdeau and Hughes for forwards and Carlson, Hughes and Hronek at D with Hart as my goalie. That leaves 1 spot at F and 1 at D. That's already about $59M of $81,5$ (or whatever next year will be) in cap taken for half my starting team (only starting roster counts toward cap).

For my 2 remaining keepers right now I'm thinking Buchnevich (hoping he gets traded) and Boqvist mostly because of salary.

Am I crazy to even consider this? Should I attempt something now to maximize return?
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Crosby - When to trade

In a cap league Sid probably has pretty good value even as he's on the back 9 of his career. I would say now is really not the time to sell him though. He played through injuries this year and didn't put up great numbers and has been out for a while. Right now he has an air of 80-85 point injury prone guy. But you want to trade him when he's healthy and has put up 20 points in his last 7 games or something like that. But at that point, you might be tempted to just hold onto him. So you have to either commit to selling him high, or just ride it out and enjoy the production. If you're gonna sell him, it's the best to do it at the time you least want to do it - when he's banking mad points. No harm in seeing what's out there, but your best offers are probably not gonna come right now.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Apprentice

By now I was thinking more later this season before trade deadline or end of season depending on position. I agree right now would not be a good time.

My concern is cap space. Added McDavid, Eichel and Carlson this year so that's a lot of money. My current 10 keepers take up around $59M in cap space with 2 spots left to go up to 12 keepers. As a comparison last year I protected a total of around $42M for 11 players and the league average was around $52M.

IF I decided to shop him around at some point does anyone have input on what kind of return they's expect/want with my current team? Young cheap contracts with great potential? Only proven player(s)? Draft picks?
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary

Dobber Sports Newbie

I don't think Crosby is ever going to slow down. I find trying to trade a guy like him everyone expects next year he'll start to decline (he won't). That said if you can get a younger superstar for him I'd do it.

Dobber Sports Superstar

when he's 37
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Genius

I gave up trying to trade Sid. I'm gonna ride it out until he is droppable or a good offer comes in. I doubt he slows down until 40. Let's be honest, if a guy like Thornton could be good up until about 39 with no work ethic, a guy like Crosby who is the king of work ethic he will play a high level for a long time.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Deity

I cant remember where I heard it, but someone said when it comes to elite (yes, I'm using that term correctly here) talent, you can subtract 5 years from their age and that's the level or age group they are playing at. I'd say I'd keep Sid for a couple years longer before worrying about any drop off. Hes still playing at a level that's head and shoulders above most others in the league.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

You should trade Crosby only if:

1. You get a great offer proposed to you.
    2. He's out longer term and you need to replace him for a real title run.
    3. His salary becomes a burden and he's you least good value keeper - this could include positional issues.
    4. You can pull off an 'old man challenge trade' that helps you -for Ovechkin or something like that.

or something really crazy happens.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah that idea never really gained traction. I've realized the return would most likely never amount to his true value. In a cap league I think he might actually be gaining value with what new contracts are paying stars these days.

Still can't believe he was available for me to draft 4 years ago in first year of this league. I was 7th out of 7 to draft. He was coming off a few injury riddled seasons and everyone thought he was done. Who's laughing now!? Players to go before him were McDavid, Murray, Klingberg, Kuznetsov, Karlsson and Gibson.