Thread: Best Sleeper Goalie for 2020?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Best Sleeper Goalie for 2020?

Hey there,

Full rebuild season for me this year and I've traded a lot of assets. My league allows me to keep one goalie. I am looking to purge the waiver-wire for guys who have a decent chance of being starters in 2020 to carry-over into next year. So far I have Georgiev and Shesterkin. Most likely going to grab Merzlikins as well. Anybody I'm missing? Thanks!

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Best Sleeper Goalie for 2020?

Nedeljkovic.

I say this cuz I’m guessing some others (Samsonov) may be rostered, and some others (Demko, Campbell, others) may not have as good an opportunity, or as good a defense in front of him.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

How deep is the league, and how many goalies are rostered per team? (Need to have a sense of who might is available)
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Rookie

16 teams. Most teams roster 3 goalies. Waiver wire is really only low-end back-ups and AHLers. Samsonov is indeed rostered.

Dobber Sports Titan

Nedeljkovic is definitely a good name then. Kahkonen, Shestyorkin, Sorokin, etc.
    That being said, with only 16 goalie keepers, if you have offseason trading, then I don't see why you couldn't find a team that has two keepable goalies, and give up a late pick to trade for a guy they were getting rid of anyways.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks for the input! Unfortunately we don’t have any off-season movement so I’m gonna need to roster a guy and stick with him.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nofrillscorp View Post
    Thanks for the input! Unfortunately we don’t have any off-season movement so I’m gonna need to roster a guy and stick with him.
    Or make the move in-season, possibly. If you could get Lehner, he'd be a choice target.

I'd look to see who is on a team with an unsettled goalie situation, pick a couple of those teams, and track those goalies. Detroit, Minnesota, NJ, Ottawa, Chicago fit the bill.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Malcolm Subban is probably owned right now... but once Fleury comes back, he may be dropped to the waiver wire.
    He's arb-RFA in 2020... and I'm curious how that pans out with Vegas since Fleury is still playing very young and signed thru 2023.
    Small part of me thinks a team like NJ (where PK is) could explore acquiring Subban.
    That might be great confidence for Malcolm, having brother on same team... and a shot at #1 spot.
    NJ desperately needs to find a goalie. GMs will explore bringing in a goalie - ARI did with Raanta, EDM did with Talbot.
    Blackwood will probably sign as RFA (age 22)... but they need somebody older.
    They are done with Schneider.

Malcolm Subban, somehow finding his way to NJ, would be a good outside rostering.
    (You will, likely, have to wait for him to get returned to wire later in year though... he's been good lately.)

Another arb-RFA in 2020 is Kasimir Kaskisuo with TOR.
    He's 26... Leafs really aren't seriously exploring an option to make him #1... seem entrenched with Freddie.
    He's a guy I could see NJ taking a chance on, if they can get him cheap.

Dobber Sports Expert

Another team to keep an eye on going into next season is LA. They recently re-signed both Campbell and Petersen through 21-22 with Quick already signed 1 year beyond that. Petersen will have to clear waivers next season though so something has to give.

Easiest solution would probably be to move Campbell but Quick doesn't have a no-movement clause so if push came to shove he could be sent to the AHL like Schneider was and LA could start the season with Campbell as the starter and Petersen the backup, hoping Petersen gains experience to become the starter himself going forward.