Thread: 2020-2021 Impact: McMichael, Caufield, Turcotte, Zegras, Kaliyev, Lavoie, Cozens

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 2020-2021 Impact: McMichael, Caufield, Turcotte, Zegras, Kaliyev, Lavoie, Cozens

What are the chances each of these guys is in the NHL next season and how would you rank them in terms of potential points production? Prioritizing next season, but curious to hear long-term thoughts as well.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: 2020-2021 Impact: McMichael, Caufield, Turcotte, Zegras, Kaliyev, Lavoie, Cozens

I'd say Cozens has the best chance. He damn near made the Sabres this year. The rest are up in the air and I wouldnt put much stock in them making the NHL next year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 2020-2021 Impact: McMichael, Caufield, Turcotte, Zegras, Kaliyev, Lavoie, Cozens

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd say Cozens has the best chance. He damn near made the Sabres this year. The rest are up in the air and I wouldnt put much stock in them making the NHL next year.
    I'll second that. Probably 2021-2022 at the earliest for most of these guys (though a couple may get a 9 game trial).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Agree on Cozens.

Throwing out some odds of players cracking NHL teams for a full season:
    60% Cozens (WHL). 82gp points prediction ~ 30.
    25% Lavoie (QMJHL). 82gp points prediction ~ 20.
    25% McMichael (OHL). 82gp points prediction ~ 20.
    20% Caufield (NCAA). 82gp points prediction ~ 35.
    15% Kaliyev (OHL). 82gp points prediction ~ 30.
    12% Zegras (NCAA)
    10% Turcotte (NCAA)

The best odds are players that can be given 3rd line time on very good teams... which is why I give Lavoie (EDM) & McMichael (WAS).
    Lavoie (Sept 25, 2000 birthday) will be 20yrs old when NHL season starts next year. McMichael will be 19.75 (Jan, 2001 b-day).
    EDM & WAS could both put those kids as a line 3 winger... maybe taking split face-offs. I think, realistically, both get AHL time and a 9gp trial at start or end of NHL season.

Turcotte & Zegras really need a year of AHL... which is a BIG step (competition-wise) over the NCAA. The NCAA, itself, being a BIG BIG step over the USNTDP schedule.
    Caufield slightly better odds because wingers have less NHL responsibility and MON can put him on a complimentary wing with two vets without his defensive gaps costing the team.
    Kaliyev is a bit similar being a winger, easier chance to play offense only. Though I do think LA would be wiser to give both him & Turcotte AHL time, like the Wings are doing with their pups.