Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leaving goalie spots empty

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Leaving goalie spots empty

What is the general consensus with only playing your goalies for the minimum required appearances each week and picking your easiest matchups in H2H? We have Wins, GAA, Save %, and SO.

Do most of you sit your goalie against top offenses or fire them up regardless?
    Scoring: G A +/- PPP SOG FW HIT BLK
    Goalies: W GAA SV% SO
    category win = 2pts, category tie = 1pt

12 team H2H redraft
    C - B Point, S Stamkos (C,LW), N Kadri, M Necas (C, RW)
    LW - A Ovechkin, E Kane
    RW - M Rantanen, A Svechnikov (LW,RW), M Zuccarello
    D - R Josi, B Burns, Z Werenski, A Romanov, A Martinez
    G - I Sorokin, U Luukkonen
    IR - A Ekblad

10 team H2H redraft
    C - A Matthews, A Barkov, M Zibanejad
    LW - B Tkachuk, A Panarin, C Caufield (LW,RW)
    RW - M Rantanen, A Svechnikov (LW,RW), T Wilson
    D - R Dahlin, B Burns, K Letang, D Nurse
    G - J Swayman, T Demko, F Anderson
    IR -

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Leaving goalie spots empty

Early in the week I generally fire them up regardless and later in the week I'll be conservative if the matchup calls for it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Strategic starts if you can.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Monday/Tuesday... I always start 'em... see what kind of numbers I'm working with in GAA/SV%.
    Wed/Thurs/Fri... I start 'em if my M/Tu starts were shit... I may bench 'em if my I got amazing GAA/SV% (and you want TWO, not ONE... because 2/3 starts towards amazing GAA/SV% won't be ruined by a 3rd start being awful).
    Sat/Sun... I try to roster late (West Coast) goalies and make sit/start decisions after my opponents East Cost goalies have played.
    [There's a lot more depth I could go into... but I do leagues with everybody on these forums... and I've given away enough secrets that I see people employ after I champion them.)

Welcome to the forums!

Dobber Sports Superstar

In H2H it depends on the matchup and is really a week to week thing. I'll review my starts for the week and determine if there's some starts I'll avoid based on how many I have and the matchups. Typically early in the week I'll make the starts, but it's a week to week thing. To me it's a strategy at your disposal and as long as rules allow, you can choose whether to sit or start your Goalies. Basically if there's more harm then good that might come from the start, you make your decision based on that.

Say there's W/SV%/GAA/SO with a min 2 starts per week and I manage 2 shutout wins early in the week, but my opponent has more goalies and has 4 wins and good SV% and GAA but no SO. I have 1 goalie start remaining for the week and he has none. There is zero benefit to me starting that goalie because all I can do is hurt myself.

Conversely, if you're losing all categories with one start that doesn't look favourable at the end of the week, you start the guy because you have nothing to lose.

Same could extend to +/- for skaters, if you're killing in every category but +/-, you might bench a guy to avoid a catastrophic start.

Dobber Sports Stud

I’ll avoid BAD starts - at Boston, at Tampa, at Washington, especially Monday to Wednesday...... but I wish that standard Yahoo scoring would include “total saves,” which would encourage playing GK’s more. Maybe give up “shutouts” as a category.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Grand Master

With my hodgepodge goaltending group in the only league I have daily starts, I follow a slightly more chaotic version of Pengwin's sort of strategy. Since every NHL goalie is rostered, so there's no strategic rostering of goalies who start late, so idea goes out the window. My team tends to focus on skater cats, and my stated goal before the year was to finish no worse than 10th out of 12 in goalie cats, figuring I could make the playoffs if I could do that.

I will start any starting goalie with a pulse if I can fit them in on Mon-Wed, because I have mostly backups, and I can't always get good info on who is starting. If have less than two goalies starting I play whichever backup I think might get into a game in relief, and either get me a period of good goaltending, or might steal a win. Right now, I am waiting to see if Garrett Sparks is starting tonight, and if he is it's either him or a skater.

Thu-Fri becomes start my "stud" - Matt Murray, as I generally would have to give up a skater spot to bench him. Additionally, I will start somebody who has a good matchup unless I am both way ahead and doing well. An example: last week my opponent had Jimmy Howard's 10 minutes of playing before getting hurt, letting in 3 goals with a .786 save percentage, and Keith Kinkaid's 2 periods or so in relief of Price with a .769 save percentage. He had no wins, 2 healthy goalies in Korpisalo & Kinkaid, and was way behind my numbers, even with Murray being crap and my Nilsson/Elliott/Stalock group playing just ok. So I went hunting wins & shutouts, figuring I'd take the ratios.

Saturday is a day I am often very busy, and can't get good info in time to make a good decision on a second goalie. So I pick in advance and hope.

Sunday all comes down to what I need that week.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Monday/Tuesday... I always start 'em... see what kind of numbers I'm working with in GAA/SV%.
    Wed/Thurs/Fri... I start 'em if my M/Tu starts were shit... I may bench 'em if my I got amazing GAA/SV% (and you want TWO, not ONE... because 2/3 starts towards amazing GAA/SV% won't be ruined by a 3rd start being awful).
    Sat/Sun... I try to roster late (West Coast) goalies and make sit/start decisions after my opponents East Cost goalies have played.
    [There's a lot more depth I could go into... but I do leagues with everybody on these forums... and I've given away enough secrets that I see people employ after I champion them.)

Welcome to the forums!
    Mine is similar to this but I would say I start them Monday to Thursday all of the time. The worst is trying to get cute mid week and missing a great start, and then having an even worse start on the weekend.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In my league there is no minimum start requirement, nor is there a requirement that you carry a goalie(s), so I carry none.

The highest points goalie in my league (Rask) has 36 points. The next closest is 27. I'll take my chances on two forwards that can't get negative points even though there are nights I can't play them all.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Prodigy

So much good info and ideas here! I really appreciate all the input and thanks for the warm welcome!! Haven’t found a good place to talk Fantasy hockey until now.

Administrator

Start em early and often, then shift strategy as necessary to lock up as many points as possible.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Dzingel, We don’t score individual player points, we score category wins but I like hearing how other leagues do their scoring. I’m assuming stats are weighted differently in your league so a goal counts for more points than an assist, etc?

In our league, our goalies compete for 4 of the 12 categories with a minimum of 3 appearances so a no goalie strategy wouldn’t work so well for us!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

Welcome to the forums!
    I like the late week west coast strategy! I hadn’t thought of that... thanks for the welcome!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by jd2665 View Post
    Dzingel, We don’t score individual player points, we score category wins but I like hearing how other leagues do their scoring. I’m assuming stats are weighted differently in your league so a goal counts for more points than an assist, etc?

In our league, our goalies compete for 4 of the 12 categories with a minimum of 3 appearances so a no goalie strategy wouldn’t work so well for us!
    Welcome. I think I'm scarred for life on goalies and even in your league I'd go zero-goalie.

In my league a GA is -1. Win=5 and SO=3. It's great to get 8 points out of a SO but way too many times goalies end up in negative points in my league. I think Vasilevsky is deep into negative numbers. Many "desirable" goalies are in the negatives. I had Andersen and Varlamov and ditched them both after reading a post here about the lack of value goalies actually carried in my format.

Running two extra forwards a couple of times a week gives me around 6 games a week where a single goal from those 12 opportunities nets me 3 points and PP goal 4 2 for assist and 3 for PP assist and 5 for SHG. Forwards don't lose points like goalies do. Some guys carry 4 goalies. I don't get that at all. I'm currently 2nd in total points sitting at 6-3 and in playoffs if it ended today. I'm 48 points off the leader.

Best of luck in your league and look forward to seeing you even though our situations are different.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Mine is similar to this but I would say I start them Monday to Thursday all of the time. The worst is trying to get cute mid week and missing a great start, and then having an even worse start on the weekend.
    And to reiterate, most of my leagues have a 3 game minimum so barring a shutout and a 1 goal game early on, I am starting my goalies more often than not.