Thread: Long term goalies

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Long term goalies

My keeper league only allows a team to have 4 starters. No limit of amount of goalies to keep in the minors, but after 63 starts. They can no longer in the minors (and must be moved at the end of the season in which they play their 64th game)

I currently have Grubauer, Varlamov, Saros and Kuemper in my starting 4

My minors consist of Blackwood and Georgiev who will both very likely be non eligible for the minors next season, along with Merzlikins, Petersen (LA), Scott (Tor), Gillies (Cgy)

What does everyone think about selling off Georgiev? I’m competitive right now, so I’m not overly interested in moving Kuemper, Varly or Grubauer over Georgiev. I’m concerned he somehow bests Shesterkin, or goes somewhere to start in a year or so (expansion or trade) but he’s young and fairly proven.

But if he doesn’t, I’m forcing out Kuemper, Varly or Grubauer (and I’m an Avs fan, so likely not Grubauer moving anywhere)

Help!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Long term goalies

That's tough.

I think Georgiev is likely a solid future NHL starter, but you have 4 guys who are more proven, none of whom are bad. I'd examine the return for Varlamov, as he's a tandem guy, but you might get more for him.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

And do you move Georgiev over Blackwood? Blackwood seems like a lock in NJ for quite some time.

The Great One

Put Georgiev, Blackwood and Saros on the block and see what kind of offers you get. Don't focus on which one goalie you should trade. Focus of the BEST trade you can make involving one (or two) of your goalies.

Dobber Sports Ace

I would look to move Georgiev.

My philosophy on goalies has changed over the past few years. I trade them away for elite talent because their perceived value is far greater than their actual contribution. Goalies are crazy volatile.

As for Blackwood, I think NJ will sign a FA goalie in the offseason. Blackwood is not safe IMO.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd have no issues trading either Georgiev AND/OR Blackwood. As mentioned, put them both on the block and see what you get for offers.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Novice

Looking ahead, my starting 4 in approx 3 years would be:

Saros
    Grubauer
    Petersen (maybe)
    Merzlikins

That leaves me in a good spot, no?

Dobber Sports Stud

If the returns for Georgiev and Blackwood are similar I'd have no hesitation about moving Blackwood over Georgiev and, in fact, would need a fair bit more to move Georgiev who I think has the brighter future.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd have no issues trading either Georgiev AND/OR Blackwood. As mentioned, put them both on the block and see what you get for offers.
    I'm in this boat too. Saros looks to be a step or two ahead of both. Goalies are also so volatile, and neither Georgiev or Blackwood comes with any certainty.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Infantino View Post
    Looking ahead, my starting 4 in approx 3 years would be:

Saros
    Grubauer
    Petersen (maybe)
    Merzlikins

That leaves me in a good spot, no?
    It might, it might not, but it looks pretty good right now. I'd have Merzlikins as a maybe as well. One of Blackwood/Georgiev could be there, I think Georgiev is more likely.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.