Thread: Mikheyev w/JT and Marner (Leafs News)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Mikheyev w/JT and Marner (Leafs News)

Marner is set to return any day after an encouraging practice this AM. His first since his injury.

Mikheyev is staying on the 2nd line with JT and Marner. Hyman is going to 3rd line with Kerfoot and Kappy.

PP1 will feature Barrie as QB and Marner, Matthews, JT and Nylander. Morgan Rielly is the odd man out.

I've been a fan of Mikheyev's since he hit the ice. He had a noticeable dip but has rebounded since Babcock's firing.

Souperman as Mikheyev is known, is an intriguing guy going forward.

Curious to hear some thoughts on expectations now that it looks like Keefe wants him in the Top 6 going forward playing with two studs in Marner and Tavares.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Mikheyev w/JT and Marner (Leafs News)

I wish he got some PP ice time. That's the only thing stopping me from adding him. He's a really good player, and thankfully he's an RFA with arb rights (no potential for leverage play/holdout which Dubas has struggled with). I hope the soup is good enough in Toronto for his tastes.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I wish he got some PP ice time. That's the only thing stopping me from adding him. He's a really good player, and thankfully he's an RFA with arb rights (no potential for leverage play/holdout which Dubas has struggled with). I hope the soup is good enough in Toronto for his tastes.
    I gotta believe he's going to be on PP2 once Marner returns. The pieces currently on PP2 aren't exactly stellar. Soup's gotta be on it. I can't wait to see.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)

Dobber Sports Wizard

if he is not on PP 2 now how adding elite player will get him there?

im not saying it wont happen at some point, i think he deserves the chance, but the reason will not be Marner's return...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Superstar

I read an interesting bit on the athletic this morning about him, talking about how his shot quality is pretty low right now. Given his shot rate, his expected goals should be higher.

Historically, he has been a guy who would hang on to the puck a bit in the offensive zone and push his way into higher quality chances. There was talk that playing under Babcock may have made him shy away from this and instead take lesser quality shots as the safe play.

What will be interesting is to see if this changes at all under Keefe, as I do believe that that will be the difference between him being a top 9er vs a top 6er.

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    if he is not on PP 2 now how adding elite player will get him there?

im not saying it wont happen at some point, i think he deserves the chance, but the reason will not be Marner's return...
    When you lay it out like that, it does sound crazy.

I just believe with the lack of talent they have on PP2 that they'll finally try him there. It's a breath of fresh air having Keefe over Babcock, as he'll try new things. It seems to have been decided he's a Top 6 guy, which I think is right.

As for his shot quality, I would agree. He was taking it to the net early on. Made some nice plays short-handed, too. He seems to shoot just to shoot with no real intention of scoring on anything but a fortunate bounce. He played with Marner when JT was out, and that didn't go real smoothly. I don't recall if all 3 have played together?
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3