Thread: Dynasty salary league start-up advice.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Dynasty salary league start-up advice.

So, my primary league is starting to fall apart and the most active GMs have been invited over to a new startup. I've never been involved in a dynasty start-up, and was hoping for some general advice on who to target when (goalie priority, contract considerations, player age etc).

League draft will be a 30 round snake draft, with an 8 round entry draft to follow. Free Agency will open afterwards allowing for 1 unowned player to be signed per team every 24 hours. 25 man NHL roster, 35 man AHL roster, 10 teams, cap ceiling set at 40m over NHL cap annually. Daily H2H, with the following 15 cats (9 for skaters, 6 for goalies). 12F,6D,2G,5B.

Skaters - G, A, PIM, PPP, SHP, Hits, Blocks, FOW, GWG
    Goaltending - W, SV%, SO, GAA, SVS Made, Goals Against

My current team in the other league suffers from sub-par goaltending, so I'm curious about when I should reach for my first starter. Given that 40% of scoring is based on goaltending - young starters will go early. Each team in the current league with 12 teams rosters 3-4 goalies in order to maximize their starts, 6 of which have been invited over to the new league. Yeah, most starters & backups are used... Goaltending is insane to acquire in terms of cost.

How should I value a Sean Monahan type (near PPG, young, top PP unit on a friendly contract) vs a Patrick Kane (PPG+, older player, top PP unit, bigger contract). I don't expect to be drafting many Dmen, because so many will be available in free agency once that opens - possibly draft a Makar, Q Hughes or T Chabot depending on where the dman run starts.

Where do you suggest taking a top tier starter? Is that worth a 2nd round pick? Late 1st? (as of right now, draft order hasn't been announced). Should I focus on drafting the top PPP producers with good contracts?
    12 Team Dynasty (Cap) H2H
    25 Man roster - 35 Farm - 3 years of picks, 8 rd draft.
    G, A, PPP, SHP, PIM, HIT, BLK
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SO
    Start 12F/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 5 Bench

C-Larkin,Monahan,ROR,Karlsson,Hischier,
    Coleman,Sissons
    LW- M & B Tkachuk, Mikheyev, Erne
    RW- Marner, P Kane, T Wilson,
    D-Dumba,McAvoy,Pettersson,Bear,
    Orlov,Dunn,Girard,Zadorov
    G- Gibson, Ullmark, Montembeault

Farm notables
    Tuch,Gurianov,Sikura,Acciari,Thomas
    C Jones,Schuldt,Wolanin
    Miller,Allen,Quick,DeSmith,Kochetkov

Juniors
    Tippett,J Robertson,Heponiemi,J Boqvist
    Wahlstrom,Bokk,Barre-Boulet,Iskhakov
    Podkolzin,Krebs,Lavoie,Texier,Holmstrom
    Luukkonen,Skarek

The Great One

Default Re: Dynasty salary league start-up advice.

I'd plop the ten bucks down on fantasy hockey geek.

Other than that, I'd draft a goalie early, probably 1st round. There is nothing worse in a dynasty than having crappy goaltending. Nobody trades goalies.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Dynasty salary league start-up advice.

With your setup I agree that goalies will be hard to come by. I would also take the Monahan types over the Patrick Kane. Think like Vegas, you have a clean slate, don't take any bad contracts to start and you will have so much flexibility to take advantage of.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)