Thread: [[Re-signed] Charlie Coyle & Chris Wagner

Dobber Sports Deity

Default [[Re-signed] Charlie Coyle & Chris Wagner

https://twitter.com/ConorRyan_93/sta...911219200?s=19

Bruins announce that Charlie Coyle & Chris Wagner have signed multi-year contract extensions.

Coyle - 6 years, annual cap hit of $5.25 million.
    Wagner - 3 years, annual cap hit of $1.35 million.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: [[Re-signed] Charlie Coyle & Chris Wagner

Coyle just signed a deal that will start when he is 28 and take him through to age 34. When will General Managers learn. /shakes head/
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Coyle just signed a deal that will start when he is 28 and take him through to age 34. When will General Managers learn. /shakes head/
    They arent playing fantasy hockey, where players are useless/worthless after the age of 30. 34 is nothing for most NHL players.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    They arent playing fantasy hockey, where players are useless/worthless after the age of 30. 34 is nothing for most NHL players.
    This is true Axe. LOL.

I do not like the term on this one. I know that sometimes you have to overpay or over-term to get a player signed, however, the risk involved outweighs the reward. These contracts to mid-level players are the ones that put GMs whose teams are successful in the now, in difficult places later. These are some comparable players (contracts) to the one the Bruins just gave Coyle.

Backlund, Mikael
    Gourde, Yanni
    Turris, Kyle
    Foligno, Nick
    Anisimov, Artem
    Berglund, Patrik
    Nelson, Brock

COMPARABLES LINK

I admit to cherry-picking the data a bit, but the point I'm trying to make is the Bruins are likely going to be holding a contract that they wish they hadn't handed out. I'm going to bookmark this and come back in 2023 and see how this contract and my take look then.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I admit to cherry-picking the data a bit, but the point I'm trying to make is the Bruins are likely going to be holding a contract that they wish they hadn't handed out. I'm going to bookmark this and come back in 2023 and see how this contract and my take look then.
    You mean like they're doing with David Backes right now?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Coyle's a middle six guy, a third liner right now for them. If he can stick on the second line, maybe that contract ends up okay, but I'm unsure of that.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Coyle's a middle six guy, a third liner right now for them. If he can stick on the second line, maybe that contract ends up okay, but I'm unsure of that.
    How do you define 3rd liner? Looking at the Bruins stats, he's 5th among forwards in time on ice per game while being 3rd in total minutes played. He's also 4th on the team in even strength time on ice. That seems quite a bit more valuable than a "3rd liner".

Is the contract longer than the Bruins would have liked to give? Probably. Would they rather have a problem in 5 or 6 years than have a problem next year? Definitely. They would not have been able to find a replacement for what Coyle brings to their lineup for less than what they are paying him for the next few seasons so locking him for 6 years made a lot of sense.

I can't say the same thing about Chris Wagner as 4th liners are a dime a dozen.

Dobber Sports Master

5.5M will be nothing when Coyle is 34. It’ll be like an above average 3rd liner.