Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Peters Under Investigation

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Bill Peters Under Investigation

for a guy that was in his 40s when he did it, I dunno if it feels that long. I'm only just past that milestone myself, this year I'm told I've been working for my company 10 years. It literally flew by.

I feel really bad for Aliu to be honest. This guy has had to deal with a lot of crap from day 1. Got labelled a troublemaker by the old buys' network as a prospect because he wouldn't stand for stupid hazing rituals. Gets to the AHL and has to deal with this garbage. All the cards were stacked against him from the start.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I guess to further this. Imagine losing your job and reputation over something you did 10 years ago! I know personally I am nowhere near the same person I was 10 years ago, for the better. Not saying he's a better person but geez.
    If my job security was dependent on how many racial slurs I have uttered in the last ten years, I would still have a job...

Rylant

Administrator

There's two sides here. Sure, Peters is about to be canned for an incident that took place a decade ago. On the flip side, he's been employed all this time, being paid well by NHL teams and essentially taking advantage of a system that was designed to protect him from responsibility.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Bill Peters Fired

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    While I understand what you're trying to say, this is still textbook racism definition.
    It's not like Aliu was his buddy and they were familiar with each other. And it's not like Peters was black either.
    We're talking about a white man in a position of authority asserting his opinion over a black man, using what is the most racially-charged slur you could imagine.
    Using that word to insult a man comes from a deep-down place and it is down-right racist.
    The definition would actually be Peters, because he's white, thinking that he's superior to Aliu because he's black. i.e. Because of his race, Aliu is inferior to him.
    And, despite losing his temper and using words nobody should use, I don't believe that Peters truly thinks that way. I don't believe that's what is truly in his heart.

Dobber Sports Genius

Does no one else find it ironic that it took 10 years for this to come out when the coach in question was probably at his lowest point in his career? No different than the Marner story with Babcock or even the Trump scandal with Stormy. Wait until the right moment, than strike. Not because it's eating you up inside, no because you smell blood in the water.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Padawan

Does no one else find it ironic that it took 10 years for this to come out when the coach in question was probably at his lowest point in his career? No different than the Marner story with Babcock or even the Trump scandal with Stormy. Wait until the right moment, than strike. Not because it's eating you up inside, no because you smell blood in the water.
    In fairness, I think it's coming out now because Aliu had plenty to lose back then, career-wise. That's not really true any longer. It's got to be incredibly difficult, as a non first rounder, to stand up to a guy who has so much arbitrary control over your future success.

Administrator

This is also Aliu's first year not playing pro hockey anywhere. He was in the ECHL last year. So yeah, plenty to lose until now.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    In fairness, I think it's coming out now because Aliu had plenty to lose back then, career-wise. That's not really true any longer. It's got to be incredibly difficult, as a non first rounder, to stand up to a guy who has so much arbitrary control over your future success.
    Ahh I read that too. I apologize and I do feel what Peters said was gross and wrong.

Dobber Sports Icon

Jeez, too bad he didn't just wear some blackface and dance around like an Al Jolson routine. That would have been fine, he would have gotten an extension!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I guess to further this. Imagine losing your job and reputation over something you did 10 years ago! I know personally I am nowhere near the same person I was 10 years ago, for the better. Not saying he's a better person but geez.
    Welcome to today's world. No acknowledgment for possible growth as a human, retroactive rule application, and throw out all the good and focus on one bad. MAY NOT APPLY IN THIS CASE. Wait until you get a speeding ticket for that street you drove down 5 years ago, they just built a school on.

How does the saying go? It takes 20 years to build your reputation but suck one .... Ill stop there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    If my job security was dependent on how many racial slurs I have uttered in the last ten years, I would still have a job...

Rylant
    We aren't all born perfect, sorry. Some of us need to learn things as we mature.

Dobber Sports Immortal

And now physical abuse.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2019/11/26/bi...dan-hurricanes

Is Todd McClellan next here holy crap. Both were assistants under Babs in Detroit.

Dobber Sports Genius

This is a good example... This poor lady just for being married to Trump has to put up with this crap even when she's spreading a positive message. And I highly doubt it's the republican voting public booing her.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/huffpost/m...183130378.html

Dobber Sports Padawan

Zach Boychuk
    @ZachBoychuk

So what’s everyone’s thoughts on the Bill Peters & Akim Aliu situation? Can people make comments without getting all the facts? I liked playing for Billy. Does he have some old school in him? Yes I think he does. Does that make him a bad person? Maybe it does? Times are changing

Dobber Sports Padawan

oh if you're "old school" that means you use the n-word now?

is this old-school too?

https://www.si.com/nhl/2019/11/26/bi...dan-hurricanes
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    oh if you're "old school" that means you use the n-word now?

is this old-school too?
    Aliu's accusation has corroboration.
    That one doesn't, as far as I know.