Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Peters Under Investigation

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Bill Peters Under Investigation

Well, if he does leave the NHL, he's apparently got some Prime Minister qualifications in him. Who knew.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Bill Peters Fired

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    Now, to be fair, let's hope the networks don't try to destroy this man when his firing inevitably happens.
    Making a mistake like this, saying that word in the context of music he dislikes, doesn't make him a racist in his heart.
    uh

i mean

These were the words that jumped into a 42-year-old man's head when he heard rap music ... in 2010. This is what he says to a black man. Racist and homophobic ranting, in 2010, about rap music. He then said it AGAIN to Aliu in a meeting in his office. "Whoops I accidentally said it 3 times and also made a gay joke, and then said it again to him in a meeting, but that's not what's in my heart".
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Titan

Old guard of coaching is getting slowly disposed of. It's sad though, he's 54yrs old, this happened when he was 44yrs old and I knew back in 2009/2010 that it was wrong to say that around anyone and I was in highschool. (sad as in he didn't know he couldn't say the N word)

For people who didn't read the article, or anything online, Peters told a Nigerian born player "I’m sick of you playing that n----- s---,’ ”I’m sick of hearing this n-----s f------ other n-----s in the ass stuff." Then Peters called the player into his office to discuss what happened. Instead of apologizing he said, “You know, I’m just sick of this n----- s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

I heard on the radio Jeff Marek is sticking to wait he personally heard. Don't know if it's false info he heard, or the Flames actually were planning on firing him but want to gather information to possibly void his contract (ends after the 2020-21 season).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Making a mistake like this, saying that word in the context of music he dislikes, doesn't make him a racist in his heart.
    While I understand what you're trying to say, this is still textbook racism definition.
    It's not like Aliu was his buddy and they were familiar with each other. And it's not like Peters was black either.
    We're talking about a white man in a position of authority asserting his opinion over a black man, using what is the most racially-charged slur you could imagine.
    Using that word to insult a man comes from a deep-down place and it is down-right racist.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Star

Now, to be fair, let's hope the networks don't try to destroy this man when his firing inevitably happens.
    Making a mistake like this, saying that word in the context of music he dislikes, doesn't make him a racist in his heart. Context matters.
    He's going to pay a huge price for his mistake and fair enough. I just hope the networks don't try to ruin his life over this. A banishment to coaching in the KHL is a fair enough punishment.
    Of course context matters. That's why, if this was a once happening only, stupid mistake, I am willing to chalk this up as a one-off incident. Something that happens once doesn't make you a racist; it's the ongoing actions and words that make somebody a racist. It's why Trump is a racist. If Peters said something stupid, once, then fine; he may not be a racist and said something stupid and will pay the price for it. If this was an ongoing pattern, then I am confident calling him a racist. If that's the case, then the potential of him being "destroyed" by this, isn't the fault of the networks; it's his. I won't lose any sleep if a racist is "destroyed" by his own actions.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Jedi

Well, if he does leave the NHL, he's apparently got some Prime Minister qualifications in him. Who knew.
    Someone's going to bite the carrots you're trying to dangle and you'll going to lose a finger.

3rd... 4th post in a row trying to incite responses... i'd just let it go. There's enough hyperbole on the net without bringing it in here.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Making a mistake like this, saying that word in the context of music he dislikes, doesn't make him a racist in his heart. Context matters.
    He's going to pay a huge price for his mistake and fair enough. I just hope the networks don't try to ruin his life over this. A banishment to coaching in the KHL is a fair enough punishment.
    "Ooops I just mistakenly called a black guy the N-word. My bad. plz don't fire me"

I don't know about any one here but I have not accidentally done that. Seems a pretty easy thing to do
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    "Ooops I just mistakenly called a black guy the N-word. My bad. plz don't fire me"

I don't know about any one here but I have not accidentally done that. Seems a pretty easy thing to do
    Back when I was in grade 6-8 rap was starting to be the thing in my age/area because of Eminem. I'm not afraid to say I accidentally said the N word well being "excited" and it slipped out as I thought it was cool. Can't really remember the scenario of it, but I do remember instantly having my stomach sink/flip and have to apologize to my african-american friend who was around me when I said it.

As a grown up I've never said it. And I can 100% say with confidence I've never said it, then doubled down to say it again. The fact he didn't know what he said was wrong I find the larger issue than the physical act of saying the N word.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Monster

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Genius

Ya.. I can't even touch this one. It happened in 2010, he clearly has issues and whether he realizes it or not is racist. He's using a derogatory term to refer to a genre of music with negative continuations. The only thing I don't really like is how much time has transpired. I mean 10 years? It's clear the player, picked his spot knowing that Peters was already on the hot seat and used his bullet in the chamber to deliver the finally blow.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Genius

I guess to further this. Imagine losing your job and reputation over something you did 10 years ago! I know personally I am nowhere near the same person I was 10 years ago, for the better. Not saying he's a better person but geez.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I guess to further this. Imagine losing your job and reputation over something you did 10 years ago! I know personally I am nowhere near the same person I was 10 years ago, for the better. Not saying he's a better person but geez.
    It's not just any job though. It's a high salary job in a public figure position. More power = more responsibility. Teams have a lot on the line, both on and off the ice.

Likewise coaches get fired all the time for a few weeks of disappointing results. It's not fair but the stakes are very high.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    And yet we just had a huge deal about it during the election.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    It's not just any job though. It's a high salary job in a public figure position. More power = more responsibility. Teams have a lot on the line, both on and off the ice.

Likewise coaches get fired all the time for a few weeks of disappointing results. It's not fair but the stakes are very high.
    100% agree, the guy no matter what his beliefs were/are made an incredible stupid mistake. Calgary has no choice but to fire him. Image must prevail above all else and it's not like he's Bill Belichick but 10 years is a long time in general. I like to believe people can and do change in that amount of time. However, the court of public opinion doesn't care about that, they got their next pound of flesh and now are going to devour it whole. Heck it could come out that the player was lying and he would still never recover from this. As soon as your accused of something your guilty before an officer has even been assigned the case. Once your proven innocent, your still guilty in the eyes of many and your reputation never recovers.

Also, What's with all this leaked information from dressing rooms? Isn't that suppose to be a hush hush place. Pretty soon the players will be calling the shots like in the NBA.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    And yet we just had a huge deal about it during the election.
    Honestly I played up the "black face" incident more then it was worth because I didn't like the guy but I don't think Trudeau had any ill intentions. I just think he's A an idiot and B it was a different era.